pip assessment

Options

Comments

• jen1949
    Options
    On balance PIP assessments cause worry anxiety and stress, before, during and after assessment. This should not be the case. I understand government has passed, that those on higher level care and mobility should only have a "light touch assessment" every 10 years and this started this summer 2018. My enquiries to DWP found there to be no knowledge of this, stating DWP would cherry pick who would get a light touch assessment. Very worrying that a law for all seems to be optional to DWP. Assessments are planned to come in house to DWP in about 2 years, which should save money going to profit making companies. Has anyone heard about light touch assessments? I am on higher level both care and mobility and had a second assessment a few weeks ago, 11 months after the first one, one year before expiry/ review date, having completed the reassessment form with a no change result. Seems additional unnecessary work when DWP are having to review so many after recent High Court decision. Interested if others are being re assessed, makes the award letters meaningless?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    jen1949 wrote: »
    On balance PIP assessments cause worry anxiety and stress, before, during and after assessment. This should not be the case. I understand government has passed, that those on higher level care and mobility should only have a "light touch assessment" every 10 years and this started this summer 2018. My enquiries to DWP found there to be no knowledge of this, stating DWP would cherry pick who would get a light touch assessment. Very worrying that a law for all seems to be optional to DWP. Assessments are planned to come in house to DWP in about 2 years, which should save money going to profit making companies. Has anyone heard about light touch assessments? I am on higher level both care and mobility and had a second assessment a few weeks ago, 11 months after the first one, one year before expiry/ review date, having completed the reassessment form with a no change result. Seems additional unnecessary work when DWP are having to review so many after recent High Court decision. Interested if others are being re assessed, makes the award letters meaningless?

No not people on higher rate care but people with specific disabilities.
  • Danday
    Danday Posts: 436 Forumite
    Options
    Nannytone wrote: »
    Only if that wheelchair is prescribed medically. I can walk perfectly fine but could still go out tomorrow and buy a wheelchair. Having a wheelchair in itself doesn't indicate and inability to walk
    There are plenty for sale on Ebay.
  • SingleSue
    SingleSue Posts: 11,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I purchased my own wheelchair, mainly because originally I thought that was what you had to do, I didn't even know about the wheelchair service and the doctor, although he had suggested getting one, hadn't mentioned the service.

For subsequent chairs, I decided to purchase my own so that I could get what I wanted, in the style I wanted and at a time I wanted.

I have had an assessment done though, recently, by the wheelchair service and would have been given a powered chair but unfortunately my house is unsuitable for one due to space and build (I'm being moved to a bungalow now as it is also unsuitable for adaptations too!)

Even though I purchased my own, it had no negative impact on my PIP claim. It has just been reawarded after review with no face to face assessment needed.
    We made it! All three boys have graduated, it's been hard work but it shows there is a possibility of a chance of normal (ish) life after a diagnosis (or two) of ASD. It's not been the easiest route but I am so glad I ignored everything and everyone and did my own therapies with them.
    Eldests' EDS diagnosis 4.5.10, mine 13.1.11 eekk - now having fun and games as a wheelchair user.
  • TheNickster
    TheNickster Posts: 4,062 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    jen1949 wrote: »

I have just had the assessment for the change from DLA to PIP and was awarded standard rate daily living and high rate mobility with a review in 2028. So I can confirm that 10 year reviews are happening. I used an Age Concern Benefit Navigator to help me fill in the form and also got my GP to write a letter confirming my muscular skeletal problems which I submitted with the form.

The whole process from sending in the form, the assessment itself and until receipt of the award letter took about 6 weeks. This is in total contrast to my neighbour, whose assessment report proved to be totally inaccurate and had to appeal before he was eventually awarded PIP, took over 8 months about 2 years ago.
    Do not be fooled into believing that this society cannot be made fairer because hard work isn't necessarily all it takes.
    There are those on MSE DT who know the price of everything but the value of little.
  • Nannytone
    Nannytone Posts: 501 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My award letter just said for an ongoing period./B]
  • Danday
    Options
    I have just had the assessment for the change from DLA to PIP and was awarded standard rate daily living and high rate mobility with a review in 2028. So I can confirm that 10 year reviews are happening. I used an Age Concern Benefit Navigator to help me fill in the form.

Did you ask the DWP to use your old DLA file?
    I can't find the AgeUK page that you refer to. I can't say that I have heard any good things about them - they helped complete my wife's AA claim which was eventually thrown out by a Tribunal
  • TheNickster
    Options
    Danday wrote: »
    Did you ask the DWP to use your old DLA file?
    I can't find the AgeUK page that you refer to. I can't say that I have heard any good things about them - they helped complete my wife's AA claim which was eventually thrown out by a Tribunal

I did not ask the DWP to use my old DLA file - I had assumed, perhaps wrongly, that they would use it any way.

As for the Benefit Navigator (who is an actual person) I was given a contact number by a local council official that had visited me about any care needs I might have. I don't think there is an Age Concern web page. I suspect you might now need a referral.

I hope my very recent experience with the DWP is indicative of the DWP cleaning up its act
    Do not be fooled into believing that this society cannot be made fairer because hard work isn't necessarily all it takes.
    There are those on MSE DT who know the price of everything but the value of little.
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think you need to look at your local AgeUK website to see what services are provided. It likely varies by area

I just checked ours and they say they provide help with form completion. Not entirely sure what that means, though!
  • Danday
    Options

I hope my very recent experience with the DWP is indicative of the DWP cleaning up its act

One can only but pray that they are.

What I can say, and yes it may well be before they started cleaning up their act, that earlier this year I had my 3rd face to face PIP re-assessment in the past 5 years with the result of no points due. Yet the award that it replaced (after 2 years) I was awarded Enhanced Care & Mobility.

I had had enough and closed the claim down. The alternative was to be spending the rest of my life having reviews every 2 years initially giving me no points only to have it increased on appeal to Enhanced for both components. They had done this for the first two assessments (2013 & 2015).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure