Nhs continuing healthcare

Options

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    SVFM - that's wonderful news. Well done for persevering! Be aware that there will likely be a three-month review. Stand your ground - and make sure you're involved and invited. Funding should stay firmly in place. The only reason it should ever be removed is if care needs reduce BUT only if they reduce to below the level of eligibility.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Fluffy Val - thanks for your very kind words. Appreciated.
  • ThemeOne
    ThemeOne Posts: 1,471 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    You must be so relieved SVFM and congratulations on persevering with this.

In my case I had managed to get my father into a hospice, and he then transferred to a nursing home. He got CHC, and I never had to do anything - was just told he'd be getting it and no nursing home fees would be payable.

Perhaps this was a case where the system worked as it should, or maybe if someone's already in a hospice, CHC is pretty much automatic if they transfer somewhere else?
  • FluffyVal
    Options
    Well done SVFM!
    IMHO once Continuing Healthcare has been awarded then the case is made that continuing care and support for illness is established. It should then be very difficult to take it away. In theory at least lol
    Always carry a sturdy hairgrip!
  • Pennylane
    Pennylane Posts: 2,707 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Wow! I so wish I had seen this thread earlier. My mum was in hospital very poorly and I heard about CHC and asked them to assess her. I made sure I was there and the nurse and I went right through and she got several As and Bs, mainly because I upped what the nurse said but we were in agreement.

A few days later she appeared with the document and said she had given it more thought and altered it as she felt Mum was now more able. It was therefore downgraded and she said much as she would like to, Mum wasn't eligible.

I wish I had had the confidence to argue or stand my ground.
  • AdzWSM2019
    Options
    Can anyone help me?? My grandmother is having a NHS continuing care assessment in a couple of weeks.

She is in the nursing home receiving palliative care after leaving hospital from a stroke. She cannot eat or drink solids, she cannot walk, she is also using a catheter.....

She has no funds from savings and I am wondering if the continuing healthcare will be granted as she is a home owner?

Some advice no matter how big or small or what to expect will be much appreciated

Adz X
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,759 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 3 March 2019 at 9:48PM
    Options
    Finances/assets have no effect on CHC funding.
    If she's palliative, I would expect them to use the fast track process.

Simple breakdown of the process:
    https://www.mariecurie.org.uk/help/support/terminal-illness/care-needs/continuing-healthcare-assessment
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,641 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Does anyone hold power of attorney for her?
  • balooney2000
    Options
    I have/had 2 relatives in a nursing home (one has now passed away). At the end of 2017 I asked why neither had ever been assessed for CHC. Each was awarded free nursing care when they became resident in a nursing home, but has never been assessed since, despite continuing decling health.

Social services agreed and conducted the assessment for each relative. Despite scoring the top level on many of the categories, it was not awarded :cry:

I was told it was because they didn't score in enough categories at the highest level. Some categories were not applicable to them and so they could never score in these categories, thus downgrading what the overall score.

I then involved a solicitor to launch an appeal for both relatives. We have just had a Local resolution meeting with the local health authority, and are awaiting the outcome. However, we were warned that if a person has predictable decline in their health e,g through dementia, that is not considered complex and therefore they won't qualify. I did say to them "How ill does a person have to be?"!!

This has been going on for over a year and in that time one relative has passed away. I'm not holding my breath, since it seems to be very difficult to obtain this funding. Health authorities will use every excuse not to have to pay out, even when there are primary health needs.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,617 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    However, we were warned that if a person has predictable decline in their health e,g through dementia, that is not considered complex and therefore they won't qualify. I did say to them "How ill does a person have to be?"!!

It all comes down to whether needs are medical or personal.
    My MIL has dimensia and can’t dress, wash, walk without assistance however that assistance can be provided by carers and does not need medical professionals.
    Feeding via mouth, washing, dressing, walking are not medical needs.
    Someone can be quite incapable but still not need medical care.

If the person requires. injections, intravenous drips etc. then that is medical care.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure