PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

God Awful Landlady

Options

Comments

• Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Which is if you have then? A tenancy agreement solely in your name for a room or a joint tenancy with the other occupants for the whole property? £5 says it's the former.
  • surfer9
    surfer9 Posts: 120 Forumite
    Options
    anselld wrote: »
    Sounds like a decent pro-active Landlady.
    My window cleaner doesn't give me any notice as an owner occupier.
    As others have stated, L has access to communal areas in a house-share unless it is a joint tenancy.

Not sure who is the drama queen here.

Nonsense.

Letting the Property as a House Share - One Agreement

-The Tenants as a collective have exclusive control over the whole of the property and are within their rights to exclude the Landlord from the premises.
  • Rosemary7391
    Rosemary7391 Posts: 2,879 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    surfer9 wrote: »
    Nonsense.

-The Tenants as a collective have exclusive control over the whole of the property and are within their rights to exclude the Landlord from the premises.

Copied from here?

https://www.pims.co.uk/letting-rooms-shared-house-hmo-rules/

It would help if you could clarify what sort of agreement you have (both types are listed on that link).
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,867 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Your words, not mine.
    Yeah, I expected so. Just I read something that seemed to say the tenant needed to be.

Just our landlord tries to avoid doing anything. I think our landlord is expecting us to be here while they just sit at home with their feet up, even though it's their house to manage.

I'm not sure I will bother informing the landlord it is their duty. It is their problem.

No doubt the landlord will have a go at us for not arranging it and overseeing it, neglecting the fact it is their job to do so. Seeing as everything in this house is blamed on us and for us to manage, like fixing the internet because one one side of the house it didn't work - the landlord expected that tenant to sort it out himself. As well as her being our cleaner, but expecting the house to be clean for her before she comes around. As well as complaining she has to stay here for an extra few minutes more than an hour sometimes to clean, yet some weeks she doesn't even turn up.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    When you sign an Assured Shorthold tenancy agreement, the landlord agrees to surrender the possession of the property to you for the agreed fixed term. Along with the possession, the tenant also automatically gains the right of quiet enjoyment.

Quiet enjoyment refers to the natural right to live peacefully and undisturbed in your home. This include how people access your home and what they do in direct conjunction of your home.

People who enter you home without permission by either you or the court, are trespassing and commit to a criminal offence.

Source: https://www.thetenantsvoice.co.uk/advice_from_us/landlord-access/#tenants_have_a_right_to_quiet_enjoyment_of_the_property
    Oh dear. One more half-baked understanding of 'Quiet Enjoyment'.
    What a load of mis-information!

* definately not trespass
    * even if it were trespass, trespass is not a criminal offence
    * and breach of 'Quiet Enjoyment' is also not a criminal offence.

The right to Quiet Enjoyment is not unlimited. There are numerous other rights involved, some conflicting, and the question os which of these takes precedence in any specific given scenario is legally complex.
  • Money_maker
    Money_maker Posts: 5,471 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    shortcrust wrote: »
    Who gets advance notice from window cleaners?! Everywhere I have lived they just turn up as and when.
    I do. He texts me the day before.
    Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed. ;)

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite! :rotfl::rotfl:
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks for twisting what I said. I never complained that she is fixing things, I am complaining that she is letting everyone in the house know about when builders/her/window cleaners are coming round, apart from me. There is no respect, no courtesy.....

Are you telling me that if anyone comes to our house, knocks on the door claiming they are here to do work, and I have no idea if they are legit or not, because I have had no notice they are coming round.....I have to let them in? You can't be serious.?!!?

You have got to be joking!

If your letting the entire house as one agreement then technically she only has to tell one of you who is visiting them they should tell everyone else. If it was a family renting the house the landlord wouldn't tell every member of the family individually when work was being carried out, they would tell one of them.
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Are you sure she is not giving notice to one of the other person living there?

There is a difference between a window cleaner who is paid to come once a month (and so comes whenever suits them) and someone coming to do work inside the house.

Was the repairs inside something you've reported? What is your LL response when you ask for notice? Does she say that she doesn't have to give any? That she gave it to another tenant? That she didn't know?

Tradesmen will often do smaller work that isn't very much cost effective to them when they get a couple of hours there and then or get a last minute cancellation. I arrange with a builder to do some work, they agreed, but wouldn't commit to any date. I had to chase over and over, and finally I got a text message at 7:30 in the morning saying they would like to go there at 9am! I missed the text as I was off that day and so they just showed up there. Thankfully, the tenant was grateful that the work was going to be done. I did apology for the lack of notice and explained the situation.
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Nonsense.

that does not answer post #8 which is what is needed in order to be able to advise you correctly,

also take account of post #16 as well before you start quoting further pages at random
  • surfer9
    surfer9 Posts: 120 Forumite
    Options
    Even if people are renting a room in a house.....say they have a day off, chilling in their garden in their speedos, listening to some classical music in the sunshine, enjoying a cocktail.......

A guy with a chainsaw appears, who has let himself through the gate into the garden and starts chopping down a tree for the next 5 hours.

No notice is needed to be given to the tenants about this? That's just ridiculous.

Tenants don't know if the chainsaw guy is trespassing, tenants do not have the opportunity to pre-arrange their day to avoid the noise, ie. by instead going to the beach.

It's harassment. If you have no prior warning you don't know who is going to be coming into the house at any moment or if they are friend or foe.

A tiler enters the house and is here to re-tile the bathroom. You had no prior warning of this. You wake up needing to take a shower before heading to work or an interview. You cannot access the shower as the tiler is in the middle of his work.

Seriously....... no prior warning from the landlord...... you have got to be joking. This is harassment. I could have woken up earlier to have my shower if I had prior warning. Now I have to go to work stinking of B.O.

Really....... this is acceptable? no notice whatsoever? landlord can send round who she wants, when she wants, with no notice?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure