To raw feed or not to raw feed?

Options

Comments

• Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    ~_Daisy_~ wrote: »
    We have a 3 year old Spaniel, Mum was Sprocker, dad full ESS. Beautiful, well behaved, and above all healthy and loved . I frequent several Spaniel forum/ facebook groups and almost all answers to almost all questions are raw feed them....

I do understand that a dogs diet is paramount to its wellbeing, I too offer/give fresh/cooked veggies as well as fish and chicken to supplement her dried food. I have been thinking of moving towards a raw diet but am not sure if it will have any benefit to her over all health.

Daisy.

White fish and chicken are surprisingly low in micronutrients (vitamins/ minerals/ essential fatty acids). Fine for occasional treats but not a regular part of a dog's or cat's diet. Consider a complete wet food instead, with or without a complete dry food.

Please only get into raw feeding if you have a basic understanding of canine nutrition, or with the guidance of a veterinarian.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • iolanthe07
    iolanthe07 Posts: 5,493 Forumite
    Options
    My sister's cocker spaniel had such severe digestion problems that the vet was hinting at euthanasia. A raw diet, which my sister prepares herself, has completely transformed the dog and she is now healthy and happy but has to be kept well away from any commercial cooked dog food.
    I used to think that good grammar is important, but now I know that good wine is importanter.
  • ~_Daisy_~
    Options
    iolanthe07 wrote: »
    My sister's cocker spaniel had such severe digestion problems that the vet was hinting at euthanasia. A raw diet, which my sister prepares herself, has completely transformed the dog and she is now healthy and happy but has to be kept well away from any commercial cooked dog food.

That is lovely to read, so very glad your sisters dog has improved through a raw diet,
    definately a good advert for raw feeding.
  • SensibleSoph
    Options
    As a parent I wouldn’t take the risk of feeding Raw due to the salmonella risks. Most Vets I’ve spoke to confirm this.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,131 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Most vets no little about raw feeding, or any feeding . Their education is supplied by animal food companies.

Salmonella can be contracted from kibble and from treats as well as raw food

https://truthaboutpetfood.com/lets-get-the-facts-straight-fda/

Just so pet food consumers can get the facts straight – in the past five years (June 2010 – June 2015) – just for Salmonella contamination, there have been 23 kibble recalls, 14 raw recalls, and 26 treat recalls.

The above is based on the actual number of FDA recall press releases over the past 5 years. But as we all know, sometimes one FDA recall press release includes more than one variety of pet food. Often, multiple pet foods are recalled in one press release. So…what is the total of individual pet foods recalled due to Salmonella contamination for the same time frame?

Lots more information in this link.

My dogs are fed raw food that is for for human consumption. I handle their raw food the same way I handle my own raw food -washing my hands and the surfaces, containers etc thoroughly after use. Basic hygiene.

In over 20 years of raw feeding neither my family nor my dogs have contracted salmonella.

Rw feeding is not for everybody but personally I wouldn't feed any other now. I know exactly what my dogs are eating with no added rubbish.

They are healthy- oldest currently 14 and still chasing toys.

Three vets , in different practices, have commented on the good condition of my dogs. None of my dogs have ever needed teeth cleaning.

Raw feeding is not for everybody but personally I wouldn't feed any other now. I know exactly what my dogs are eating with no added rubbish.
  • harrys_nan
    harrys_nan Posts: 1,777 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I would definitely try raw feeding, I fed my dog on raw and was very happy, unfortunately, he decided he didn't want it anymore last summer and I was having to throw such a lot away that I decided to put him onto dried food. It wasn't a choice I was happy with but at least he eats now.
    Treat other's how you like to be treated.

Harry born 23/09/2008
    New baby grandson, Louie born 28/06/2012,
    Proud nanny to two beautiful boys :j
    And now I have the joy of having my foster granddaughter becoming my real granddaughter. Can't ask for anything better

UPDATE,
    As of today 180919. my granddaughter is now my official granddaughter, adoption finally granted
  • ~_Daisy_~
    Options
    We have decided against this for now, as freezer space would be an issue initially and as we are quite often away in our camper this also might prove difficult.

I'm aware this has now become about us as opposed to Penny, but our lifestyle will not always make raw feeding practical.

I have ordered some samples from Millies Wolfheart and also looking at Canagan.

She is fit and healthly and as long as She stays that way we are all happy!
  • MatyMoo
    MatyMoo Posts: 3,167 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I raw feed three dogs, when I had one I managed with one freezer drawer but now they have their own freezer.

When I am away for up to 5 days I manage with just a cool box.
    :j Proud Member of Mike's Mob :j
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,131 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    As a parent I wouldn’t take the risk of feeding Raw due to the salmonella risks. Most Vets I’ve spoke to confirm this.

Can you trust dog food companies with your dog's health?

https://www.hillspet.co.uk/productlist?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIn5Xn4Pmz4AIV4bDtCh3i8QukEAAYASAAEgIewfD_BwE

https://www.facebook.com/groups/186233081399547/permalink/2177691135587055/
  • GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

A bit worrying that your vets aren’t aware that both dogs and cats are able to consume salmonella without getting ill, but that raw pet food is also screened for salmonella.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure