To raw feed or not to raw feed?

Options
We have a 3 year old Spaniel, Mum was Sprocker, dad full ESS. Beautiful, well behaved, and above all healthy and loved . I frequent several Spaniel forum/ facebook groups and almost all answers to almost all questions are raw feed them....

I do understand that a dogs diet is paramount to its wellbeing, I too offer/give fresh/cooked veggies as well as fish and chicken to supplement her dried food. I have been thinking of moving towards a raw diet but am not sure if it will have any benefit to her over all health.

Daisy.

Comments

• northwalesd
    northwalesd Posts: 1,173 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    My brother and his wife have a 2 year old sprocker, she's a totally transformed dog now they have her on a raw diet. They had difficulty getting her to eat properly previously, she was slightly (though not alarmingly) underweight.

I'd say give it a try.
  • GBNI
    GBNI Posts: 576 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My two are on a raw diet and they are doing fabulous. I do a mix of Paleo Ridge completes and DIY. They look amazing.
  • hb2
    hb2 Posts: 1,398 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I know that a lot of commercial petfood contains things the animals would never eat in the wild. I have my 2 cats on a raw diet and they are both doing very well on it.
    It's not difficult!
    'Wander' - to walk or move in a leisurely manner.
    'Wonder' - to feel curious.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,245 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    People who feed raw will tell you it is the best way. After all they wouldn't feed their animal that way if they did not believe. that.

Your vet will probably not agree. Those against raw feeding will tell you how bad it is.

Before feeding raw make sure you do research and know what you should be feeding to balance the diet. It is more than raw beef.

Ready made foods can take the guess work out of it but will be more expensive than doing it yourself.

I changed to raw feeding 20 years ago and my dogs have always been healthy. Three different vets commented on how good my dog looked and asked what I fed. When I replied 'a raw diet' there was no comment.
  • ~_Daisy_~
    ~_Daisy_~ Posts: 49 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 7 January 2019 at 7:58PM
    Options
    More research is needed I think, I do feel like I'm a convert hovering at the start line!

I know I can buy readymade/ complete raw diet meals which would do for a while until I was confident in doing my own. I would need more freezer space too.

Thank you for the replies it definately (raw) food for thought!
  • GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Just make sure you avoid Natural Instinct, sadly several cats have recently died from TB after eating Natural Instinct as the company were failing to test their meat.
  • ~_Daisy_~
    ~_Daisy_~ Posts: 49 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    GwylimT wrote: »
    Just make sure you avoid Natural Instinct, sadly several cats have recently died from TB after eating Natural Instinct as the company were failing to test their meat.

That is shocking....:eek::eek:
  • mtbbuxton
    mtbbuxton Posts: 332 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    There are several raw feeding groups on Facebook, my personal favourite is BARF UK They're a mainly friendly and helpful group which is well moderated.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/barfdietchat/
  • hb2
    hb2 Posts: 1,398 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I believe that vets get very little nutritional input during their training and, like some GPs, are very influenced by the reps from various companies.

The TB things recently was a shocker but I believe the easiest answer is to avoid beef products - not a problem for me as they would not be a natural part of a cat's diet but I know nothing about dog nutrition!

As Sherambler says, we all do what we think it best for our furry companions. There is rarely a true 'one size fits all'.
    It's not difficult!
    'Wander' - to walk or move in a leisurely manner.
    'Wonder' - to feel curious.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,828 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 9 January 2019 at 9:58PM
    Options
    I've never raw fed myself but a lot of fellow bull terrier owners do because in a lot of cases it can help with skin allergies and skin conditions. Some dogs are allergic to certain meats and that diet doesn't suit them I've always been happy with feeding kibble with stuff chucked in.you can buy the raw food ready prepared if you're going to do it yourself you need to do a lot of research and have a lot of freezer space which is another reason why I don't bother with it
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure