Windows... where to start?

Options
Just moved into my first property, and don’t really have anyone ‘around’ to help! I currently have sash and case and want to replace ASAP with double glazing as the place is very cold... might be a dampness or lack of insulation issue also as touched on in the HR (who would get around to look into that?). Where would I start looking for quotes? Need a few velux(style) roof windows also.

Windows don’t need to be sash and case but suit the building, I’m guessing double glazed sash and case cost a lot more?

Any help or direction very welcome

Comments

• dennishopper
    Options
    ...is this the correct section for this thread? Apologies if not.
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 21 January 2020 at 1:09PM
    Options
    Sash windows suggests an older property, which throws up a couple of questions..
    Is it listed ?
    Are you in a conservation area ?

If no to both of the above, uPVC casement windows would be the cheapest replacement option. On older properties, the original wood frame often served as structural support for the brickwork above - And/or there may be a lump of timber across the top acting as a lintel - When getting quotes for replacement windows, insist that a contingency is built in to the quote should any support timbers need replacing.

FENSA require installers to check for lintels and add support where required, but some don't.... A house that I pass each day had doors & windows replaced by a large national outfit and were back a few months later repointing brickwork that had started to sag. They should have fitted lintels to the outer leaf, but didn't, and that brickwork will continue to drop. Can see the same problem on quite a few of other houses around here, all built post WWI. One reason I insisted on a lintel contingency when having a window replaced (it was needed).

Get three or four quotes from local, independent installers, not the big nationals (unless you have loads of dosh to throw around). The good ones will be busy for much of the year, so expect three to four months before they can start work.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • dunroving
    dunroving Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Whatever you do, steer clear of SafeStyle Windows. If you are Googling replacement windows, it's possible you may mysteriously get a call, email, or targeted advertising for Safestyle. They have very poor reviews and there are several threads on here about them.

In answer to your other question, this is probably going to get more responses in the main "In your home" section.
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • dennishopper
    Options
    FreeBear wrote: »
    Sash windows suggests an older property, which throws up a couple of questions..
    Is it listed ?
    Are you in a conservation area ?

If no to both of the above, uPVC casement windows would be the cheapest replacement option. On older properties, the original wood frame often served as structural support for the brickwork above - And/or there may be a lump of timber across the top acting as a lintel - When getting quotes for replacement windows, insist that a contingency is built in to the quote should any support timbers need replacing.

FENSA require installers to check for lintels and add support where required, but some don't.... A house that I pass each day had doors & windows replaced by a large national outfit and were back a few months later repointing brickwork that had started to sag. They should have fitted lintels to the outer leaf, but didn't, and that brickwork will continue to drop. Can see the same problem on quite a few of other houses around here, all built post WWI. One reason I insisted on a lintel contingency when having a window replaced (it was needed).

Get three or four quotes from local, independent installers, not the big nationals (unless you have loads of dosh to throw around). The good ones will be busy for much of the year, so expect three to four months before they can start work.

It’s an old building, but not listed (it was previously)! The top floor has beams, it will be a stone and timber building I suspect. 3-4 months, yikes! But thanks for the tip to go local
  • dennishopper
    Options
    ...a silly question perhaps, but what does the quote process entail?
  • FreeBear
    Options
    it will be a stone and timber building I suspect. 3-4 months, yikes! But thanks for the tip to go local

Local (small) companies will be more familiar with the vernacular buildings in your area. If there are similar properties in the neigbourhood that have had replacement windows fitted, knock on doors and ask for recommendations. That is how I avoided one fitter and came across the guy doing my windows - Had a quote from him at the beginning of the month, and he is fitting two windows next week. During the summer, he was on a three month lead time.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • dunroving
    dunroving Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    ...a silly question perhaps, but what does the quote process entail?

1) Call the company with a brief description of the job and arrange a site visit
    2) Site visit - they will take measurements, ask questions about what you want, then go away and write up a (hopefully detailed) quote
    3) Repeat 1) and 2) above until you have around 3 quotes.

Other aspects:
    Try to be consistent. If you change your mind about what you want between company visit A and company visit B, you can't compare the quotes.

Have a notepad at the ready and make written notes during each visit. It is very easy to forget details, and to forget which company said what.

Ask what is the current lead time between acceptance of a quote and start of the job.

Make sure disposal of all waste is included in the quote.

If anything is unclear, you can call and ask for further detail. If anything looks wrong (different from what you asked for or something missing), ask them to amend the quote.

Ask whether they will make good any indoor damage (e.g., crumbling plaster, etc.). Generally, I think the homeowner is expected to (and wants to) redecorate afterwards if needed. But do ask what is the expected level of damage or making good that will be needed after the job.

Ask how long the job will take, and how many people are typically involved.
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • FreeBear
    Options
    dunroving wrote: »
    Ask whether they will make good any indoor damage (e.g., crumbling plaster, etc.).

Add to that, any external damage, and will they use like-for-like materials. i.e. Lime mortar where appropriate, not cement, and certainly not mastic as I have found on one "repair".

• dennishopper
    Options
    dunroving wrote: »
    1) Call the company with a brief description of the job and arrange a site visit
    2) Site visit - they will take measurements, ask questions about what you want, then go away and write up a (hopefully detailed) quote
    3) Repeat 1) and 2) above until you have around 3 quotes.

Other aspects:
    Try to be consistent. If you change your mind about what you want between company visit A and company visit B, you can't compare the quotes.

Have a notepad at the ready and make written notes during each visit. It is very easy to forget details, and to forget which company said what.

Ask what is the current lead time between acceptance of a quote and start of the job.

Make sure disposal of all waste is included in the quote.

If anything is unclear, you can call and ask for further detail. If anything looks wrong (different from what you asked for or something missing), ask them to amend the quote.

Ask whether they will make good any indoor damage (e.g., crumbling plaster, etc.). Generally, I think the homeowner is expected to (and wants to) redecorate afterwards if needed. But do ask what is the expected level of damage or making good that will be needed after the job.

Ask how long the job will take, and how many people are typically involved.

Great advice, will try and get a few quotes and take notes.
  • dennishopper
    Options
    ...is it cheaper to just get the windows supplied and then fitted by a local joined? Both company’s (local, not big national as advised) who are coming out to qoute are asking if I’m looking for a supply or supply and fitted qoute.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure