LPG regulator problems

Hi, I’ve been on lpg since I installed the new boiler in my house 5 years ago and every year without fail at the end of the summer the regulator goes. I’ve had one replaced at the end of every summer when the temperature starts to fall and we’ve not used much in the way of gas for two to three months over the summer. I’ve had different regulators fitted and they all end up leaking out of the valve. This suggest to me it’s something to do with the set up but every plumber who has been out and the Calor emergency engineer is stumped as regs can last 20 or 30 years apparently. The house is south facing and the gas bottles are down the side of the house and the boiler is a viessmann vitodens 100 if that makes any odds and it’s serviced yearly. Any ideas as to what the problem might be as I could really do with out the additional cost every. single. year?

Thanks!

Comments

• Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    My regulator starts to leak when the bottle gets low. Switching over to the full bottle stops the leak.
  • Thank you. Mine leaks to the point it unsafe though? Hence having to be replaced and it should switch to the full bottles anyway as it’s automatic. Frustrated there isn’t a solution it seems!
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    leonnaise wrote: »
    Thank you. Mine leaks to the point it unsafe though? Hence having to be replaced and it should switch to the full bottles anyway as it’s automatic. Frustrated there isn’t a solution it seems!

No. I thought it was just my regulator. I was going to replace it with an automatic regulator in an attempt to solve the problem. Although not ideal, I doubt the leak is unsafe if it is outdoors as it should be. If it's in an enclosed space, you have a serious problem.
  • They are outside but I’d also be Paying a fortune to waste gas into the air, the regulator needs to be replaced each time as it doesn’t work and doesn’t supply the boiler with enough gas to have hot water, it’s literally liked just turn the taps on the bottles on. It’s so frustrating and expensive.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure