Comments

• DAKOTA45
    DAKOTA45 Posts: 592 Forumite
    Options
  • mark55man
    mark55man Posts: 7,926 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    so sorry to hear your situation. the advice you have received is very sound, from some very knowledgeable posters.

its sad, but it sounds like your partner is being selfish, but that there is little you can do but keep trying and keep asking, it sounds like he has hardened his heart to your ability to live, therefore you need to consider drastic steps.

This board has some women of your age who have taken the plunge to go off on their own, and they seem to be liberated and get on with it. Even if still a little short of cash they have more control of it - however full of regret they may be, they needed to move on.

Good luck with whatever you decide, and I'm sure we will all be here to help if you have any further questions
    I think I saw you in an ice cream parlour
    Drinking milk shakes, cold and long
    Smiling and waving and looking so fine
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    The right thing to do is to have a chat about setting up a joint account and have all money go into it. And if he does not agree then divorcing him could be the best option. You should get half of all the assets and 50% of the total income. Don’t let him walk all over you. I know it’s easier said than done.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,426 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    but he is still here with me... we are together but not together... we lead quite separate lives & mine is a struggle due to the money situation...

It doesn't quite seem appropriate to this board but...

would there be any point in an interview with Relate?

You have mentioned looking for work - is there anything suitable available?
  • jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    edited 14 October 2019 at 2:05AM
    Options
    DAKOTA45 wrote: »
    I understand that the weekly state pension for someone with full contributions is somewhere around £150 or thereabouts...
    Maximum is £305.61 a week including the basic state pension and the earnings-related part for someone who made around the higher rate tax threshold from 16 to state pension age. For a low earner about £190 a week. £168.60 a week for those who hadn't accumulated more than that by 6 April 2016. Lower amounts for the married woman's stamp or incomplete contribution records.
    My husband, who retired a couple of years ago gets £190 SP... I wonder if some of this is meant to go into MY bank account, as my SP is only around £78 per week
    Under the system you subscribed to the man is expected to:

1. combine all of his pension money with yours, private as well as state pensions
    2. pay the utility and council tax bills
    3. give you an allowance for food and clothing, cleaning and medical products and other essentials for both of you
    4. give you some pin money

High bills might leave nothing for pin money and sacrifices in other areas.

It's a very old-fashioned way of running a household but it can work and there are still a couple of hundred women paying the married woman's stamp.

Whether he's treating you well or badly depends on total income and who's paying how much for what. We don't know enough to have a useful opinion on that; bills might be leaving him shorter than you.
  • jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    edited 14 October 2019 at 2:14AM
    Options
    my SP is only around £78 per week
    £77.45 is one of the "magic numbers" in the state pension. A woman who paid the married woman's stamp for even a year in the 35 years before reaching state pension age can get that much by relying on the state pension of their husband. It's 60% of the basic state pension, which is currently £129.60 a week.

If you were divorced or widowed you'd get at least £129.60 a week instead, so if either happens be sure that your payment is updated.

What it means is also that your own state pension contribution record would have got you less and you're gaining from the transitional protection for those who paid the married woman's stamp, even though it doesn't feel like much of a gain. Without having a year of married woman's stamp you'd be getting less, based only on your own record.
  • Triumph13
    Triumph13 Posts: 1,730 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    jamesd wrote: »
    If you were divorced or widowed you'd get at least £129.60 a week instead.
    I don't think you can afford to hire a 'professional' on that money, you may have to DIY...
  • DAKOTA45
    Options
    Triumph13 wrote: »
    I don't think you can afford to hire a 'professional' on that money, you may have to DIY...

So very true!
  • DAKOTA45
    Options
    jamesd wrote: »
    Maximum is £305.61 a week including the basic state pension and the earnings-related part for someone who made around the higher rate tax threshold from 16 to state pension age. For a low earner about £190 a week. £168.60 a week for those who hadn't accumulated more than that by 6 April 2016. Lower amounts for the married woman's stamp or incomplete contribution records.

Under the system you subscribed to the man is expected to:

1. combine all of his pension money with yours, private as well as state pensions
    2. pay the utility and council tax bills
    3. give you an allowance for food and clothing, cleaning and medical products and other essentials for both of you
    4. give you some pin money

High bills might leave nothing for pin money and sacrifices in other areas.

It's a very old-fashioned way of running a household but it can work and there are still a couple of hundred women paying the married woman's stamp.

Whether he's treating you well or badly depends on total income and who's paying how much for what. We don't know enough to have a useful opinion on that; bills might be leaving him shorter than you.

Perhaps he has been underpaid re SP, then... as far as I know, he was paying tax at 40% for much of his working life...

He also receives about £250 per month Private Pension...

I think we each pay roughly equal amounts on bills...so he is definitely not being left shorter...

I have no savings at all... not sure if he has managed to save anything, though...
  • DAKOTA45
    Options
    The right thing to do is to have a chat about setting up a joint account and have all money go into it. And if he does not agree then divorcing him could be the best option. You should get half of all the assets and 50% of the total income. Don’t let him walk all over you. I know it’s easier said than done.

We've had that discussion... his was a two word reply... I'll leave you to work it out...

But throughout our life together, his entire wages always went into our joint account and I managed everything... this is what's so confusing... the extreme change in him since he had a long term affair.. it's like I no longer exist! I wonder also whether he pays the other woman and that's why he has nothing left for me...:(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure