Pension query, please!

Options

Comments

• DAKOTA45
    DAKOTA45 Posts: 592 Forumite
    Options
    badmemory wrote: »
    Which may well be a very good idea, but she can only do this by getting money from the husband who is unlikely to want to help. The good news is that when he pops his clogs she will then get her "full" pension.

Exactly... there's not enough to live on, let alone make pension contributions... I'm 67.
  • DAKOTA45
    Options
    xylophone wrote: »
    Yes, I knew what you meant.:)

The "dole" was the old term for unemployment benefit. This would not have been available to persons who had reached SPA.

If the women had become unemployed, the small stamp wouldn't have entitled them to UB.

I should think that it was just a throwaway remark on the basis that they were confident that in one way or another they'd have enough to get by when the time came.

And very many women did expect that their husband would be the major contributor (in the purely financial sense) and very many husbands expected to be just that.

Different times, different outlooks.:)

Yes... circumstances change vastly throughout our lives... I never expected my loyal and sweet natured husband to find someone else...we were so close that nobody even believed me when I told them what had happened... you just can't imagine what it's like to be old and impoverished when you are young and life is good... :(
  • ffacoffipawb
    Options
    xylophone wrote: »
    When exactly did your husband reach state pension age?

Are you claiming a Cat B state pension on your husband's contributions?

https://www.ageuk.org.uk/globalassets/age-uk/documents/factsheets/fs19_state_pension_fcs.pdf

Assuming by her user name she is 73 or 74, attaining 75 next year, it is likely her husband reached SPA under the pre 2016 system.

(Assuming he is not a toy boy :))
  • DAKOTA45
    Options
    Thank you to all those who have written back... I apologise the disappearing... As I say, things have been difficult... maybe I'll need to find some work.... not sure how I'll get on, though as I'm deaf and in pain from arthritis. Please wish me luck!
  • DAKOTA45
    Options
    Assuming by her user name she is 73 or 74, attaining 75 next year, it is likely her husband reached SPA under the pre 2016 system.

(Assuming he is not a toy boy :))

Haha... I should be so lucky! :rotfl:We are both 67.
  • bluenose1
    bluenose1 Posts: 2,668 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Dakota, that is a horrible situation you are in.
    Have you considered if you are entitled to Attendance Allowance?
    Also not sure if it is feasible or if something you would want but could you consider separating/ divorcing? You would be entitled to Pension Credit in your own right of up to £167.25.
    Not sure if you have a house you own. Could you consider selling it and going your separate ways.
    Good luck.
    Money SPENDING Expert

• DAKOTA45
    Options
    bluenose1 wrote: »
    Dakota, that is a horrible situation you are in.
    Have you considered if you are entitled to Attendance Allowance?
    Also not sure if it is feasible or if something you would want but could you consider separating/ divorcing? You would be entitled to Pension Credit in your own right of up to £167.25.
    Not sure if you have a house you own. Could you consider selling it and going your separate ways.
    Good luck.

Thank you... not sure what Attendance Allowance is for... I think Pension Credit should really be automatic for those women who have no state pension of their own and whose husbands receive nothing toward's a wife's 'keep'... It sounds awful, doesn't it... that we have to be 'kept'... like in the old days when we were mere chattels! I hate the thought of being in the benefits system and accountable for every penny spent... I heard of a woman recently who had managed to save a bit out of her pension credits over several years and then got into trouble for having a few thousand in 'savings'... x
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,730 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It should be shared. But some dont.

We have 5 state pensions (UKx1, Jersey, IOMx2 and i have us sc)/ Makes for a confusing situation.
  • DAKOTA45
    Options
    atush wrote: »
    It should be shared. But some dont.

We have 5 state pensions (UKx1, Jersey, IOMx2 and i have us sc)/ Makes for a confusing situation.

Wow! I find anything to do with finances very difficult... I am totally innumerate... (it's an actual disability called dyscalculia)... I just glaze over... which is probably why I'm in such a dire situation now!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure