Tax Credit Briefing discussion

Options

Comments

• KevinG
    KevinG Posts: 1,865 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    LYNDS2904 wrote: »
    Hi could anyone tell how long it takes to get your forms back i hve posted my renewal 3 weeks ago and havent heard anything from them normally only takes a couple of days please help i am confused xx
    I've never known it take a couple of days - generally it's been about 2-3 weeks before some random amount of money appears in my bank account then another 2-3 weeks before they send the statement explaining it!
    2kWp Solar PV - 10*200W Kioto, SMA Sunny Boy 2000HF, SSE facing, some shading in winter, 37° pitch, installed Jun-2011, inverter replaced Sep-2017 AND Feb-2022.
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Do WTC's depend purely on income or savings as well ?
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    21Twinkle wrote: »
    Do WTC's depend purely on income or savings as well ?

It's only taxable interest from savings (plus income) that counts.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • southend
    southend Posts: 105 Forumite
    Options
    Hello everyone,

Please advise me, i want to make sure everything is correct,

We only have very, small savings. Would i be better off with an

ISA (not working at moment- don't pay tax ) low rates

or a savings account higher interest, although it is taxable/interest classed as income
    but possibility of below

This is the part where it says to disregard about £200-ish, but you count your interest as income, confused. Sounds like it could be misleading, many at tax credits office staff are giving me different answers. Still new to this
  • KevinG
    KevinG Posts: 1,865 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    southend wrote: »
    Hello everyone,

Please advise me, i want to make sure everything is correct,

We only have very, small savings. Would i be better off with an

ISA (not working at moment- don't pay tax ) low rates

or a savings account higher interest, although it is taxable/interest classed as income
    but possibility of below

This is the part where it says to disregard about £200-ish, but you count your interest as income, confused. Sounds like it could be misleading, many at tax credits office staff are giving me different answers. Still new to this
    If you only have "very small" savings it is not going to make any difference. If your total "other income", including taxable savings interest, exceeds £300, you have to declare it. But at an interest rate of 3%, which is the very most you are likely to be able to get, you would need over £10,000 of savings to exceed this. At 1% interest you would need over £30,000 of savings.

As you say, if it's in an ISA, it's irrelevant as it doesn't matter how much the interest is. But, as you are a non taxpayer and can therefore register to have the interest paid gross (or claim the tax back), if you can get a much better rate in a non-ISA account you might as well go for it, unless your savings exceed the kind of numbers I mention above.
    2kWp Solar PV - 10*200W Kioto, SMA Sunny Boy 2000HF, SSE facing, some shading in winter, 37° pitch, installed Jun-2011, inverter replaced Sep-2017 AND Feb-2022.
  • augustpicnic
    Options
    I need to apply for tax credits, but the only way to apply seems to by with a form only available by ringing HMRC. I have been ringing up to 10 times a day for 3 weeks but have not been put through even once. The recorded message says that there are too many in the queue and, infuriatingly, that 'I might call back'. It seems to me like I'm being denied tax credits by not being allowed to apply. where can I complain, or is there another way of getting a form?
  • demi1_2
    Options
    does anyone know if this is correct my husband has the sole income for our household and is on 14500 before deductions every week we get £99.70 in child tax credits for our 4 year old and 3 year old and £24.09 in working tax credits does this working tax credit amount seam correct.
  • romaco
    Options
    Actually, it's not correct to say that if the DWP is at fault, you don't need to repay the overpayment. You are obliged to point-out to DWP their mistake- easier said than done. Sorry- this next bit is complicated, but it's worth following....

When my son turned 3 and was entitled to pre-school allowance, I thought "they know how old he is; they're the guys who pay it; I shouldn't need to tell them his childcare costs have dropped" but none-the-less, on the premise "tell 'em, tell 'em, tell 'em" I did. But the person on the end of the phone noted the new childcare costs as £390 per week instead of £390 a month . You'd think someone would have noticed a waitress working 16 hours a week at £5.83 an hour claiming £390 a week, but no, they didn't. Problem was, I didn't either- those forms are incredibly difficult to follow- so it wasn't until several weeks later that I realised. When I did, I called them and was told that I would need to repay the overpayment. I suggested that they check their records which would show they were at fault (phone-calls are recorded for training purposes etc) but I was told that it made no difference- I would still need to repay the overpayment. That was in April.

In October I phoned to check I was getting maximum tax credits (I needed the information for another form) and was told that I was. A couple of weeks later, the guy I had spoken to at that time phoned me to tell me they had been reviewing my query for training, and he had noticed that way back in April when the person amended my childcare costs following the notification of their error, they had backdated the new information to when it had applied (january) but for the new tax year, the information hadn't been amended, so it was still wrong! I'd again been getting overpaid for 6 months, and hadn't noticed because my payments had gone down- but this was because they were starting to take-back the amount that I had been overpaid! He suggested I appeal because it was very obviously the error of DWP, and said he would send me an appeal form.

I got the form, completed it, and phoned several times to check on progress. Eventually, six weeks later, it became apparent that the form was lost in the system. I got another form, completed it, and submitted it. Three months after submitting the first form, I got a response telling me that as I was obliged to notify of them of their error and had not done so, I must repay the overpayment which had resulted. It was about £1500.

I am a single parent with sole custody of my son, and from my earnings of £90 a week, I'm supposed to pay back £1500 to DWP which was overpaid because of THEIR mistake.

Sometimes "Tell 'em, tell 'em, tell 'em" still isn't enough. :(
  • romaco
    Options
    Hi George

I was in the same boat as you, and the short answer is that no- there's no way to speed-up a response to an appeal. Once you do get your response you'll see why- it's a pretty comprehensive report.
    Sorry it's not better news :(

Lori
  • kevpc
    kevpc Posts: 48 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    i already followed the advice given a couple of months ago. not only did i contact the tax credits office and the income tax office, informing both of changes in our circumstances as and when they changed (twice), i still had to pay back money, 11 months after the changes had occured. my appeal was turned down by the working tax office, being told that i didn't contact them when i should have (did so within a couple of weeks each time). had that have been the case, why were our payments reduced before finally being stopped? as far as the income tax office was concerned, we were told that nothing could be done until the new tax year (2010-2011). i am now having to pay tax on last years income as well as this years. that has meant a significant reduction in our monthly income.
    moral of the story? although encouraged to contact the various offices by phone, as soon as changes happen, dont bother. always send recorded delivery letters. it seems that, when it suits, records of phone conversations seem to miraculously disappear, as do supposed updates of a persons circumstances on the different systems!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure