buy to let investment

Options
Hello

I live in London and am a homeowner. I am in the forunate postion where I am set to be gifted approx 600k and want to buy an an appartment to rent out. I'm a little nervous about this, although it doesn't seem too complicated. Do any private landlords have advice on the best way to do this?

I am thinking it would be best to buy within my borough or atleast near by as it'll be easier to manage. Does that make sense?

I am going to use a property managing service, I think, because I don't especailly want to do a lot of the hands on work (I have enough on plate right now and don't think I know enough to do it anyway, better to trust a professional).

I am willing to read up on this if people can share any links/resources. Or anyone can recommend any books?

Thanks a lot :j

Comments

• Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Why a rental property as an investment? Nothing overly complicated in letting a property. Though you will be running a business. As a consequence while you may enjoy good returns you correspondingly may suffer the tenant from hell.

Be objective. Crunch the numbers fully and see if the rewards are worth the risk.
  • sixpence.
    sixpence. Posts: 295 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 24 April 2019 at 11:09PM
    Options
    Re tenant from hell - if I use a letting agent then can they just deal with that stuff? If it's only one property is it honestly as much work as running a business? I don't know loads about it but that does seem a tad hyperbolic.

Why a rental property? - so it's either going to be a property OR stocks and shares but I already have a retirement stocks and shares ISA on the go (I'm turning 30 this year and started investing two years ago).so London property doesn't seem like a bad plan.
  • dales1
    dales1 Posts: 230 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    This cautious advice from Thrugelmir is wise.
    Any landlord of a single property is very exposed to encountering a bad tenant, who just might trash the building, pay no rent and cost you thousands to evict over a 4 - 6 month period of court proceedings.

Also the London property market does not look buoyant at the moment, so there's little compensation there in terms of return.

I used to have very good tenants, but I pulled out for that reason. There were too many risks.
    Nowadays I feel my money is more secure in financial investments that I can completely control.
    Dales
  • sixpence.
    sixpence. Posts: 295 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    dales1 wrote: »
    This cautious advice from Thrugelmir is wise.
    Any landlord of a single property is very exposed to encountering a bad tenant, who just might trash the building, pay no rent and cost you thousands to evict over a 4 - 6 month period of court proceedings.

This is probably going to sound really naive, but does this actually bloody happen? It does sound like a nightmare but I've never heard of anyone doing it (or having it done to them) in London. Any way to get around this by using a letting agency?
  • dales1
    dales1 Posts: 230 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It happens too much, believe me.
    Even more so in urban areas (as I understand).
    Just google it and you will get a screenful of cases like this -
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6817389/Tenant-hell-leaves-house-filthy-state-evicted-landlord-faces-25-000-bill.html
    House trashed, no rent paid, eviction legal fees incurred by landlord.
    You or your letting agent might well be really stringent on checking out prospective tenants' credentials, but there's no real defence against tenants who turn out like this.
    If you have 100 houses, it averages out.
    If you have just one house let out, it is a disaster...and it's too much of a risk for me nowadays, thank you.
    Dales
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    sixpence. wrote: »
    Do any private landlords have advice on the best way to do this?
    Yeah don't bother. I sold up 2 years ago, final straw being half a decade's profit being wiped out by the damage caused by a tenant who had been a close friend of my wife's family for three decades. Ended up having to basically do a full house refurb. As she went bankrupt after moving out there's no chance of recouperating any money.

If you get a yield of 6% as a landlord you're deemed to be doing very well. 4-5% is typical and you can get those kinds of returns from no risk regular saver bank accounts. My Stocks & Shares ISA which is nothing more complicated than containing a Vanguard Lifestrategy fund I just fund and forget gives me as much if not more return and less risk so that and my SIPP is where I put the money I had from the sale.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Re tenant from hell - if I use a letting agent then can they just deal with that stuff?

No, they cant (and indeed, no they dont). The agent deals with some of the work but you still carry all the responsibility and the risk. If the agent doesn't do soemthing, doesn't fulfill a legal duty, its down to you.

If it's only one property is it honestly as much work as running a business? I don't know loads about it but that does seem a tad hyperbolic.
    Its not as much work as running a business until it all goes pear shaped and then its far worse. Normal business clients dont trash the business's sole asset.

Why a rental property? - so it's either going to be a property OR stocks and shares but I already have a retirement stocks and shares ISA on the go (I'm turning 30 this year and started investing two years ago).so London property doesn't seem like a bad plan.

So you arent worried about the new tax treatment making letting especially unfavourable for high rate taxpayers), the proposed new laws on eviction and getting rid of bad tenants, declining London prices (historically much of a BTL's return has come from increasing property prices, both directly and indirectly) and threatened more stringent controls on letting from future governments?

You say a "retirement ISA". Do you mean a LISA? Have you considered increasing your pension contributions? What are you currently doing for that? Are you a high rate taxpayer or likely to be soon?

As for "This is probably going to sound really naive, but does this actually bloody happen?"

yep you certainly are naive and yep it happens all the time. Have you never watched an episode of "Cant Pay we'll take it away" ?

There are also numerous posts in here from naive LL's like you complaining about how their tenants are not paying rent, wont leave, needs legal action to remove, doesnt work on technical grounds, cant get their money back, etc etc etc.
  • Lungboy
    Lungboy Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Any way to get around this by using a letting agency?

If it all goes pear shaped it's the landlord that's ultimately responsible. Read G_M's guide to being a landlord, there's a huge amount you need to know.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    p.s. show the numbers here from your actual proposed rental because you simply seem to have assumed that a profit is slam dunk.
    There's been a couple of recent posts, one from a would be landlord one from an actual one, both of whom were actually making a LOSS on their rental,and there have been others from people talking about how much they make and when you look at the actual return they might as well have their money in a 2% savings account.
  • wastedtalent
    Options
    You could by half a dozen properties to rent out up north, spread the risk, and the yields will be higher.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure