MSE News: Bulb to hike energy prices by 11.1% - its third increase this year

Options

Comments

• ChopperST
    ChopperST Posts: 1,257 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I was in middle of switch to them, just cancelled as it would have added £250 to my annual bill.

Your prices wouldn't have risen till November in that case. Presumably you got a £50 switching bonus from one of the referral links? You could have switched, got the bonus and switched again two weeks before the price rise on the 11th November and still got the £50 and potentially another switching bonus from your new provider...
  • Thanks for the info Chopper, however, unfortunately i was unaware of the bonus offer till i'd signed up, therefore i didn't receive one.

Assuming there were no further problems with Bulb, what you suggested may been a good idea.

Instead, i've signed up for long-term price protection with my current provider.
  • ChopperST
    Options
    Very wise - I'll be ditching for a fix in the middle of October once I've bagged the switching bonus and two £50 RAF bonuses.
  • merchcon55
    Options
    Considering fixed rate deals are being removed and replaced with higher unit rate deals every day, you should consider if the bonus money of £150 could wind up being a "false economy" if the fixed rate deals in mid-October (just before the cold months start) should go up by 15-20%.

Of course you know your usage and can calculate what that risk might be - but personally, I would try and lock in a rate now, as I see energy prices going up considerably in the next 3-6 month period.
  • ChopperST
    Options
    Happy to take the risk, at worse I feel it will be a cost neutral venture. We have a 4KWs of solar panels so are still generating a bit from the tail end of summer so our usage doesn't really go up till the end of September.
  • ryan121
    ryan121 Posts: 209 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Still cheaper than the big six...
  • pjapk
    pjapk Posts: 83 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Typical - My first ever switch initiated over the weekend from BG to Bulb & a price hike before I've even completed!

Trying to understand the Cheap Energy club estimates now - Originally guessing at £412 saving switching to bulb (before the hike) whereas currently the club is suggesting a £345/yr saving on a fixed tariff with OneSelect - seems to me I should cancel current switch & go with one of the best fixed rate offers as it works out better off with the risk of further hikes would you knowledgeable folks agree?

(I'm currently on BG SVR so almost any switch is worth doing anyway but might as well maximise it now I'm finally getting around to doing it).
  • Oasis1
    Oasis1 Posts: 712 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We had just switched our electricity to Bulb and were planning to follow with our gas, but have now begun switching both to Outfox The Market. They're hiking their prices soon too, so will be keeping an eye on that - 30 days notice and no exit fee though, so not too concerned.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,609 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Blimey, thats over 2p/kwh more than Eversmart - it would cost me over £140 a year more for my 7200kwh of leccy.

What benefit does Bulb give you unless you can get multiple referral fees
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • billn
    billn Posts: 318 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I switched from EDF to Bulb and got the email to say they were increasing prices 5 days after the switch went through :( So I have now got an ongoing switch to Eon V18 fix for 1 year not that much saving but at least it is fixed.
    If at first you don't succeed, sky diving is not for you!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure