Unexpected credit.

Options
Around six weeks ago I booked my car in for a service with a main dealer. I booked and paid on line via their website as they give a discount for pre payments. I then had my car serviced with of course nothing to pay.

A couple of days ago, my bank account showed a credit payment from the dealer for the exact same amount i paid for the service. Being the honest person i am, i called the dealer to advise them of their mistake, but they knew nothing about it. They said they would ask their accounts team to look into it and call me back, but after two days no one has called.

Not sure what I should now. Should I just ignore it? Someone suggested it may be some sort of scam and someone may call me in a few weeks to say they had credited my account in error and ask me for my bank details to allow them to recover the money, but I cant see how this would work.

Any ideas anyone?

Comments

• Willing2Learn
    Options
    I would ring up the garage up again and chase them up. Could even drop them an email.
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    Options
    How did you pay?
    Bank transfer? Credit card? Debit card?
    How was the refund received? To a credit card account, a bank account?
    If the payment is clearly shown as coming from the dealership a scam is unlikely.
  • Tango1947
    Options
    Paid by debit card.
    Credit was paid directly into my bank account.
  • Ben8282
    Options
    How could the dealership possibly know details of your bank account if you paid by debit card?
    Have you provided them with these details?
    Can you check if the refund was made to your bank account via the debit card?
  • Tango1947
    Options
    I assume that a debit card refund links to the account details. Although they may hold the card details I dont think they would need the account number. A card refund just shows as a credit on my statement. If the dealer doesnt respond, I'll contact my bank to see if they can shed any light on it.
  • Ben8282
    Options
    In your place I would just ignore it and wait to see if anything further happens. You have done the honesty bit and informed the dealer that you were not expecting a refund.
  • Eco_Miser
    Eco_Miser Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Tango1947 wrote: »
    Not sure what I should now. Should I just ignore it? Someone suggested it may be some sort of scam and someone may call me in a few weeks to say they had credited my account in error and ask me for my bank details to allow them to recover the money, but I cant see how this would work.

Any ideas anyone?
    The usual way the scam works, is the scammer asks you to return the money, then they get the bank to reverse the transaction as well, leaving you out of pocket.
    If anything like that does happen, tell them to claim through their own bank.
    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century
  • Ben8282
    edited 19 November 2019 at 10:21PM
    Options
    Eco_Miser wrote: »
    The usual way the scam works, is the scammer asks you to return the money, then they get the bank to reverse the transaction as well, leaving you out of pocket.
    If anything like that does happen, tell them to claim through their own bank.

It is highly improbable that a scammer would be in a position to instigate a debit card refund in the name of a car dealership where the OP had used their debit card.
    Much more likely to be an accounting error on the part of the dealership.
    However, if they do ask for the money back, then contact the bank and take their advice on how to proceed.
    No point in contacting your bank at this point as they will know nothing that you don't.
  • Eco_Miser
    Eco_Miser Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes, I was just answering the OP's question on how a scam would work.
    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century
  • Ergates
    Ergates Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Ben8282 wrote: »
    How could the dealership possibly know details of your bank account if you paid by debit card?
    Have you provided them with these details?
    Can you check if the refund was made to your bank account via the debit card?

If you reverse a debit card transaction it'll send the money back to the originating bank account.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure