DFS Sofa - what rights do i have and what are my options?

Options

Comments

• scd3scd4
    scd3scd4 Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 5 July 2017 at 5:36PM
    Options
    Hi

Bought the iconica range sofas for a cost of almost 4K, delivered in Jan. Not withstanding the fact that they failed to tell us about adding on extra costs such as fabric care, leather care kit, and not telling us about the delivery charge which was all added into the monthly cost, the sofas started developing faults within 6 months.

The cushions have started sinking, and you can feel the frame on some parts when you sit down. DFS sent out a very rude service manager who said you are sitting on it wrong, this is how you meant to sit. He refused to listen to me when I said I did not buy a sofa to sit on in a very specific way. A sofa is for lounging, etc etc, but he refused to listen. He pointed out that on the paperwork is says sofa will soften with use, but I have read this on forums that they write this on every sofa they sell!

And within 2 mins he decided nothing was wrong with the sofas, and it was because of how we were sitting, that has caused it to soften to that extent. And within another minute he walked out.
    These cost 4k, I have cheaper leather sofas in my kids playroom that has remained firmer, and my kids and their friends have been jumping all around this one for years! It is not like they are sitting on that sofa in a specific way!

I know people will say why go dfs etc, their sofas are rubbish and such. Please can we not, as this is not why im asking for advice and help. I have bought them and now I have them. The last lot of sofas I bought from DFS, it was almost 9 years before I had to refoam the cushions, so it wasn't an issue, I never had to call them.

I was just shocked at the rudeness of the service manager, and hence left me at a loss as to what to do. . Hence, would like your advice. Also, whether it would be worth complaining to the Ombudsman as I took in on finance.

Thanks in advance

Just to say. I had my sofa on 3 years interest free and just phoned the company on the paperwork. Very easy.

But like I said.............before it all got to that the manager sorted it out after a little pressure and persistence. Stores differ as I explained. You seem to have one of the managers who gives DFS a bad name with all the how you sit rubbish. And unlike how some naive people think. Not everyone is out to help, do their job and look after the customer.
  • cono1717
    cono1717 Posts: 762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    scd3scd4 wrote: »
    And unlike how some naive people think. Not everyone is out to help, do their job and look after the customer.

I will concede that not everyone is out to go above and beyond, the point that you seemed to have quite clearly missed, was that if you are generally not a nice person to the staff you have 0 chance of them going above and beyond and every chance of getting the bare minimum service.

Ombudsman is an alternative dispute resolution service so of course there is a need for them, they are there when you are not happy with what DFS (or anyone) is saying and they won't budge, however their criteria is not "Ask politely, then go harass the manager and if they STILL wont help you come to us". You can get to the same exact point by just talking to someone and not turning up pressure and acting petulant.
  • scd3scd4
    edited 6 July 2017 at 1:10PM
    Options
    I will concede that not everyone is out to go above and beyond, the point that you seemed to have quite clearly missed, was that if you are generally not a nice person to the staff you have 0 chance of them going above and beyond and every chance of getting the bare minimum service.

No not necessary. Some people will give bad service regardless, some dont know the law and others just dont want to entertain refunds until you turn up the heat. I already explained the "harassment" bit. Please pay attention. The law is there to insure good service and rights. It is not dependent on how a service provider perceives how you are treating them.

Ombudsman is an alternative dispute resolution service so of course there is a need for them, they are there when you are not happy with what DFS (or anyone) is saying and they won't budge, however their criteria is not "Ask politely, then go harass the manager and if they STILL wont help you come to us". You can get to the same exact point by just talking to someone and not turning up pressure and acting petulant.

No, its about doing what is easy first. What takes less time and effort and what gets results the fastest. You try the shop, the manager then head office than your credit company. Turning up the pressure is exactly what you do and it works for me nearly all the time.

Speaking to a manager in person as oppose to over the phone is always the best policy and sound advice.

Many other people will read this post. They may have paid cash. The Ombudsman is also here for them. As is the county court.

Again you really need to listen more than you speak or write. I suggested going into the store and speaking to the manger first. This lady got nowhere, neither did I until I upped the ante. Clearly you misread that our experience was the opposite of what you suggested. :wall:
  • cono1717
    Options
    I already explained the "harassment" bit.The law is there to insure good service and rights. It is not dependent on how a service provider perceives how you are treating them.
    Well you gave the excuse it was tongue in cheek after the fact, perceptions from text based responses can differ from person to person so whilst you may see no harm and think no one would actually do it you cannot speak for everyone else.

Secondly the law doesn't ensure good service it only ensure's your rights are upheld. Good service comes from the provider which is 100% dictated by how they perceive you are treating them. If I work in a shop I have to follow the law, but I don't have to do anything more and why should I if you aren't treating me with respect.
  • scd3scd4
    edited 6 July 2017 at 1:30PM
    Options
    Well you gave the excuse it was tongue in cheek after the fact, perceptions from text based responses can differ from person to person so whilst you may see no harm and think no one would actually do it you cannot speak for everyone else.

Why would I need an excuse to a stranger on a forum. No you still commented after I explained!!.....I also clarified it with " I MEAN TALK." Right at the start. Please pay more attention.
    Secondly the law doesn't ensure good service it only ensure's your rights are upheld. Good service comes from the provider which is 100% dictated by how they perceive you are treating them. If I work in a shop I have to follow the law, but I don't have to do anything more and why should I if you aren't treating me with respect.

No, people still get bad service. This lady explained how she was treated hence you point is mute. I explained the same, until I turned up the heat. No one is asking for service from you. She will get results if she follows advise with her CC as I did. We get result regardless of how you feel by means of the law!

We dont need etiquette lessons we know the obvious.
  • cono1717
    Options
    Why would I need an excuse to a stranger on a forum. No you still commented after I explained!!.....I also clarified it with " I MEAN TALK." Right at the start. Please pay more attention.

No, people still get bad service. This lady explained how she was treated hence you point is mute. I explained the same. Until I turned up the heat. No one is asking anything from you. She will get results if she follows advise with her CC as I did. We get result regardless of how you feel by means of the law!

We dont need a etiquette lessons we know the obvious.

Well OK we'll agree to disagree then, since clearly you think my points are [STRIKE]mute[/STRIKE] moot there is no point trying to teach a chicken to play chess :)
  • scd3scd4
    edited 7 July 2017 at 6:14AM
    Options
    Well OK we'll agree to disagree then, since clearly you think my points are mute moot there is no point trying to teach a chicken to play chess
    You are right. I dont need you to tell me how to get results with DFS. When I have already received them after my warranty had expired. :rotfl:
    trying to teach a chicken to play chess
    Maybe you could try learning to play checkers instead. :wink:
  • abdulr001
    Options
    Ok, just to update

The finance company started an investigation, and the store manager ended up coming over to have a look. He said, he normally doesn't get involved, but given that it was one of the premium ranges, then he decided to have a look. I am not sure if this is true, and whether it was because the finance company asked him to!

The agreed to do a repair to the faulty cushion, which was carried out by the same idiotic service manager who told me i was sitting wrong! The repair was horrendous, it was of a completely different height to the cushions around it, flat and lifeless. The sofa looked worse than the one in my kid's playroom that they have been bouncing on for a number of years!

Again back to finance company, with pictures. Once again the incompetent service manager came round. This time, he didn't try to be smart, took one look at the sofa and said, i can see it. I said i dont want a repair, you have butchered the whole thing now. It will never be right!

End result? I met the store manager in the store. I sat down on the one in the store, which was firm, plumb and very comfortable. I said my sofa is nothing like this, and this one has hundreds of people sitting on it daily! DFS have now agreed to replace the whole sofa, and store manager has assured me that he will be checking this one himself!

Thank you for all your advice! Persistence paid off!
  • Chorlton1974
    Chorlton1974 Posts: 7 Forumite
    edited 10 April 2018 at 1:52PM
    Options
    wonder if anybody can help with this? i ordered 2 sofas on the 14th January, taken it on finance. the guy that completed the sale said if we paid a deposit then things could be done quicker. put down a £300 deposit. took care out on it, they chucked in a couple of care kits gratis. my sales contract states that delivery will take place approximately by 9 weeks and two days, which was 20th March, when i raised this, a voice mail was left saying that it was being shipped from overseas and would be here by the beginning of April. didn't hear a thing. checked their on line tracker and that now states it wont be here til april 25th. i emailed again in respect of this and this is all i got back, which i find to be a bit turd.

" [FONT=&quot]Hello and thank you for your email[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]We are sorry that you have had to contact us regarding your order and for the delay that has occurred. We are currently expecting your suite to arrive late April and we apologise for the delay. This is a delay with our supplier and is outside of our control.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Please be assured that as soon as we have more information we will update you and as soon as this arrives with DFS we will arrange delivery.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Kind regards[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Customer Service Department
    DFS Head Office"

Have i any grounds to take this further??????

Cheers
    [/FONT]
  • BorisThomson
    BorisThomson Posts: 1,721 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    wonder if anybody can help with this? i ordered 2 sofas on the 14th January, taken it on finance. the guy that completed the sale said if we paid a deposit then things could be done quicker. put down a £300 deposit. took care out on it, they chucked in a couple of care kits gratis. my sales contract states that delivery will take place approximately by 9 weeks and two days, which was 20th March, when i raised this, a voice mail was left saying that it was being shipped from overseas and would be here by the beginning of April. didn't hear a thing. checked their on line tracker and that now states it wont be here til april 25th. i emailed again in respect of this and this is all i got back, which i find to be a bit turd.

" [FONT=&quot]Hello and thank you for your email[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]We are sorry that you have had to contact us regarding your order and for the delay that has occurred. We are currently expecting your suite to arrive late April and we apologise for the delay. This is a delay with our supplier and is outside of our control.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Please be assured that as soon as we have more information we will update you and as soon as this arrives with DFS we will arrange delivery.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Kind regards[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Customer Service Department
    DFS Head Office"

Have i any grounds to take this further??????

Cheers
    [/FONT]

It would be helpful to a) start your own thread, and b) tell us what you want to happen.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure