Cancelling a holiday with booking.com

Options
Has anyone tried to cancel a non refundable accommodation with booking.com?
I paid in full not realising it was non refundable, I need to cancel booking which is for June 2020. I was hoping with me giving them 6 Months notice they would agree to some refund. Both booking.com and the property are passing the buck. I don't know where I stand and who to go to, any advice is welcome??

Comments

• Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,553 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    wrong board but usually properties offer both refundable and non-refundable rates. The non-refundable rates are cheaper as they are non-refundable.
    If the reason for cancelling is covered by your travel insurance deal with them. Would a date change work if they would allow that?
    If not then the money is gone if you cancel....it is the risk you take when you select a non-refundable rate
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,537 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    If you have booked a non-refundable holiday you have no right to money back irrespective of how far in advance of the travel date you try to cancel.
    It's not Booking.com which is at fault if you didn't read the terms and conditions.
  • fifeken
    fifeken Posts: 2,703 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    TELLIT01 wrote: »
    It's not Booking.com which is at fault if you didn't read the terms and conditions.
    It's not even hidden away on booking.com, it's right in your face when you select your deal.

A9Ss6EyD1owmAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,625 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Do you have travel insurance?
  • heatherw_01
    heatherw_01 Posts: 6,554 Ambassador
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hi, we move threads if we think they’ll get more help elsewhere (please read the forum rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com"]forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL].
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • leylandsunaddict
    Options
    Whether a refund is given on a non refundable booking is nothing to do with booking.com. It's down to the property itself. Non refundable means just that, whether you cancel 6 days or 6 months in advance. If the property doesn't want to give you a goodwill gesture then unless you can claim from your insurance treat it as a lesson to book refundable rooms in the future.

You can't miss the fact the room is non refundable. It's made clear when you select it and on every page after that, as well as in the booking conditions, which are highlighted in bold print.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,731 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    I think your only option would be to appeal to booking.com and the accommodation.
    You appear to have done that without success.

I've booked a lot of rooms with booking.com and the non-refundable and refundable prices have always been clearly shown way before payment.
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,691 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I had similar. Had to change my travel plans due to a family bereavement. Booking.com refused refund. Hotel agreed to change the date.

For me it was a lesson learned. It is a risk booking non-refundable accommodation. I no longer do that to save a few pounds.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,874 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Booking.com does clearly say free cancellation (in green) or non-refundable (in red) when you are looking at which rooms are available in a hotel. I find it hard to see how they could make it any clearer.

If it's a change of mind then travel insurance won't cover you either, so as others have said if the hotel or booking.com decline then you're out of options.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • leylandsunaddict
    Options
    missile wrote: »
    I had similar. Had to change my travel plans due to a family bereavement. Booking.com refused refund. Hotel agreed to change the date.

For me it was a lesson learned. It is a risk booking non-refundable accommodation. I no longer do that to save a few pounds.

Booking.com don't refund because they don't have your money to refund.The hotel does, but they're reknown for lying and blaming booking.com. Only the hotel can authorise a refund.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure