And so it begins: The Pig Vs The Mortgage

Options

Comments

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Best of luck!

You know, yesterday, since you pruned enough to fill the recycling bin 3 times over, as well as all the other stuff, I'd call that quite a lot!

Enjoy the run :)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • pinkypig
    pinkypig Posts: 1,814 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Karmacat wrote: »
    Best of luck!

You know, yesterday, since you pruned enough to fill the recycling bin 3 times over, as well as all the other stuff, I'd call that quite a lot!

Enjoy the run :)

It just like such an effort though Karma!! Better today thank goodness :)

Hope you've had a good day and that you're feeling a bit better xx
    Original mortgage £112,000 . Final payment due August 2027.
    Mortgage neutral achieved August 2020 - 7 years early!!!
  • pinkypig
    Options
    Last night of the holidays:eek: Can't really complain with the amount of holidays I get plus its been a lovely, lovely break.

Some energy has returned today but I've not gone at things like a nutter as I'd like to return to work rest and refreshed:)

Mfw successes have included;

Got out for a run and called in on mum and dad to check all was well on my way past.

Laundry done and on airers

Ironing done, uniform ready, shoes cleaned and pe kit in bag.

Watched ds play footie

Had family dinner for eight. Made do rather than doing a special shop. Did two huge toad in the holes using ys sausages with loads of veg, mashed potatoes, roasties and onion gravy. No extra spends as DF brought pud. Lovely evening and no extra costs. Mum and dad really enjoyed it too:)

Not a nsd as needed milk, green beans and carrots but I had a 60p price guarantee voucher so only £1.74 spent.

Lo for lunch tomorrow and enough sausages left to make pastie fillings for tomorrow's dinner.

Busy week ahead so best get to bed early but going to sneak an episode of Requiem in first :)

Have a good week folks

PP xx
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    pinkypig wrote: »
    I want to be mortgage free by December 2022 but its looking impossible if I want to keep up my additional pension contributions (which I do). Not giving up yet though. More pondering needed but not tonight as I'm pooped and my little brain is spinning with it all:rotfl:
    It's all a juggling act isn't it? Personally I'd definitely let the target slip a bit to keep up the pension payments. Paying off your mortgage is only one tool in the FI box (and many would advise you to not overpay but invest instead). Pensions are another tool and so are other savings/investments/BTL's/premium bond wins/finding a watch that's worth millions etc :D.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    pinkypig wrote: »
    It just like such an effort though Karma!! Better today thank goodness :)
    Well, absolutely it was an effort. Glad you feel rested much more now (of course, you're back at work now, sorry).
    Hope you've had a good day and that you're feeling a bit better xx
    Yep, I'm good thanks - made my to-do list last night and was suitably horrified :rotfl:

Listen to Gally's words! It's absolutely understandable that mfw is so important - but it really is only one tool. I didn't make any attempt to pay off my mortgage early, didn't occur to me for a long time, though when I bought my 2nd house back in 1999 I didn't increase the mortgage at all, I paid for the extra with cash.

But I already had a big PEP going - when the rates started to come down from 15%, I paid the extra into a PEP, and now that makes up about 25% of my non-inheritance savings. Even though I only did it for about 6 years. If you've got 20 years to play with, compound interest and taxfreeness are your friends :)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Betterthanever
    Options
    **sticks head around the door to see if I'm allowed back in**

Blimey, it is a long time since I have read anyone's diaries - this is the first one that I have caught up with....and I really do need to stay in touch - everyone is so busy!

*mumbles to self, must try harder*
  • pinkypig
    Options
    gallygirl wrote: »
    It's all a juggling act isn't it? Personally I'd definitely let the target slip a bit to keep up the pension payments. Paying off your mortgage is only one tool in the FI box (and many would advise you to not overpay but invest instead). Pensions are another tool and so are other savings/investments/BTL's/premium bond wins/finding a watch that's worth millions etc :D.

You're not wrong. Since day one I've had this head/heart dilemma and I know that pensions are the way to go, especially this year as I'll tip into the higher rate tax bracket.
    My FI plan is based around two rentals, my TP, a small personal pension from years ago and a pension from my job prior to teaching. Two out of the four pension pots are final salary and I'm grateful for that. However, I just hate having mortgage debt and would love to be shot of it (wouldn't we all:rotfl:).
    Thank you so much for taking the time to post. Advice and info from those that have doneit is so valuable. This forum is just great pondering, rambling and ranting but especially for help and support and the offering of different perspectives. Cheers :A
  • pinkypig
    Options
    Karmacat wrote: »
    Well, absolutely it was an effort. Glad you feel rested much more now (of course, you're back at work now, sorry).

Yep, I'm good thanks - made my to-do list last night and was suitably horrified :rotfl:

Listen to Gally's words! It's absolutely understandable that mfw is so important - but it really is only one tool. I didn't make any attempt to pay off my mortgage early, didn't occur to me for a long time, though when I bought my 2nd house back in 1999 I didn't increase the mortgage at all, I paid for the extra with cash.

But I already had a big PEP going - when the rates started to come down from 15%, I paid the extra into a PEP, and now that makes up about 25% of my non-inheritance savings. Even though I only did it for about 6 years. If you've got 20 years to play with, compound interest and taxfreeness are your friends :)

Thank you lovely Karma:A. Kind and thoughtful as always. Love it when you pop in :D
  • pinkypig
    Options
    **sticks head around the door to see if I'm allowed back in**

Blimey, it is a long time since I have read anyone's diaries - this is the first one that I have caught up with....and I really do need to stay in touch - everyone is so busy!

*mumbles to self, must try harder*

Hellooooooooo :wave: always nice to see you :D

Given what you've got going on at the mo I'm not surprised you're a bit behind with your reading!
    New job must be imminent now. When do you start? Xx
  • pinkypig
    Options
    Day one done!

I've had much worse first days back but blimey I'm weary:eek: in fact I'm in bed and will be snoozing off very soon!

In money news I've had a nsd and have two bids on eBay:j. So far I've made £11.49 so I don't think I'll be retiring just yet:p. Other than that I'm in that mid month lull.

Other successes include;

Up to date with my marking

Weights class done

2 litres of water drunk:j

Cheap healthy eats (porridge for breakfast, lo for lunch and lo sweet and sour from the freezer and AF noodles for dinner). The pasties planned for tonight are in the freezer as dd was out and ds loves sweet and sour which she hates so it seemed like a good opportunity.

Did maths revision with ds and got him to and from his sports club.

Laudry folded and put away.

Feeling very droopy eyed so think a snooze maybe in order. I am such a lightweight:rotfl:

Congratulations on surviving Monday folks. Onwards and upwards:)

PP xx
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback