Jury service

Options
I'm not sure where to post this thread but this seems to be the best place. I have been called for jury service but I don't know where to turn to for help with my disabled husband. He is physically disabled and he has aspergers syndrome. I normally care for him 24/7. I have asked to be excused the jury service but I don't know what to do if they refuse. My husband won't have a carer in the house as he can't cope with strangers coming in so what on earth do I do? We also have two dogs which he won't be able to cope with on his own so I will have to pay for someone to look after them. There was no mention of helping out with this kind of expense. Has anyone had any experience of jury service and what help they give? It's not just the money it's getting counselling to try and help my husband come to terms with having a carer and where to actually find a carer at short notice. Also what happens if you arrange a carer and then you don't have to attend the court. Presumably you would still have to pay out for the care but the court wouldn't pay you. It seems we may find ourselves paying out a lot of money and not getting anything back.
Don't mess with pensioners. :cool:

Comments

• kazzah
    kazzah Posts: 460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I suspect that given the complexity of your caring role they would excuse you - if you can get a letter from your GP or similar person then I feel sure you would be excused - I don't know about the payments I'm afraid- but I hope you get sorted out
  • sandra1980123
    Options
    A letter from your gp should get you excused,if people can get excused because they are going on holiday you should have no problems.
  • mrsyardbroom
    mrsyardbroom Posts: 1,946 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thank you.
    Don't mess with pensioners. :cool:
  • DUKE
    DUKE Posts: 7,360 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Don't worry about it, you'll be OK.

People get excused for all sorts of stuff, when I did jury service years ago one person said they'd previously been excused as it was their Mom's birthday.
  • w06
    w06 Posts: 917 Forumite
    Options
    It is likley to be fine, it's not a letter from your GP that you need though. Doctors are rightly advised not to write letters to court, because they can end up being summonsed by the judge to explain why their opinion should count - with all the implications to patient care and doctors time.

What you need to do is speak to whoever it says on the letter, or failing that ask for the Clerk of the court, take with you or send them evidence of your husband's needs and that you care for him - do you have carers allowance letters for example?

Try not to worry about it
  • mrcol1000
    mrcol1000 Posts: 4,790 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My wife is my carer. She was called up for jury service. She just sent the address on the letter a copy of her Carers Allowance award and a letter explaining why she could not do jury service because of my carer needs. She was excused from that and told she would not be up for selection for the next five years.
  • CKhalvashi
    CKhalvashi Posts: 12,060 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    I'd either write or call (it will be on the letter, I can't remember) and explain the circumstances. Your caring responsibilities should be enough to excuse you from jury service.
    💙💛 💔
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Should the feared situation of booking a carer then not being needed in court happen, you would not be out of pocket.

My husband did jury service just 10 year ago and was only used for one case. People not used were dismissed late each morning and still got their pay,if ,like my husband's case, it was impossible to complete part of a day's work as it was whole shift or none (eg delivery driver with a full day route or nurse who would have a replacement person put on their duties for a whole shift).
  • Danday
    Danday Posts: 436 Forumite
    Options
    I do wonder how you are picked to be a juror. I will be 70 in a few weeks and have never been asked!
    To be honest having to sit through case, especially a long drawn out and complicated one would probably leave me bored stiff and agree to anything that everybody else said just to get away.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,131 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Danday wrote: »
    I do wonder how you are picked to be a juror. I will be 70 in a few weeks and have never been asked!
    To be honest having to sit through case, especially a long drawn out and complicated one would probably leave me bored stiff and agree to anything that everybody else said just to get away.

You can be called for jury service if:

You are between the ages of 18 and 70.
    You are registered on your local government’s electoral register.
    You have lived in the UK, the Isle of Man or the Channel Islands for the last 5 years since you were 13 years old.

There are certain people who cannot serve on a jury. These people include anyone who has been in prison over the last 10 years. Other reasons are listed in your jury summons letter.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure