Just found out I'm pregant and worried about money

Options
2»

Comments

• Racheldevon
    Options
    Register with your local sure start children's centre, who provide free guidance, support, services and so on from the antenatal period through to the child's fifth birthday - every community has access to their services so have a google to find your nearest one. They can also provide guidance and link you into local services around finances (& many other things)
  • warmhands.coldheart
    Options
    Congratulations for a start. my only thing to add is; if everyone thought logically about having a child and only had one when they thought they could afford one, there would be very few children in this country. You'll survive..... Trust Me !!
  • Animagdon
    Options
    Congratulations!! It is scary thinking of the money side of things when you're having a baby but as everyone here has already mentioned, it is possible to get by and babies really don't care whether they're dressed in designer gear or bin bags as long as they're warm and loved! Have a look in your area for baby sales (table top sales, things like that) or if any of your friends have had children have they any hand-me-downs that you could take off their hands? I had my daughter last year and my partner was laid off a month before her due date so we only had my maternity pay to live on until he found a new job (which took 7 months). You will be entitled to the child benefit and possibly tax credits though am not sure how they're going to work from next year onwards as its all changing and haven't got my head round it all just yet!

Dont let any of these worries bother you too much - enjoy your pregnancy and best of luck! xx
    No trees were damaged in the posting of this message but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.:wave:
  • Pisces
    Pisces Posts: 224 Forumite
    Options
    SMP is about £120 a week, and you get it for the first nine months of maternity leave. Plus you'll get £80 a month child benefit, so hopefully you can manage on this.

Check your work's maternity policy as lots of companies are more generous, even to 'newbies'.

Congrats and good luck - it's never a good time, but it always works out!
    Go your own way..

Virtual sealed pot challenge member #103
  • bowledover81
    Options
    Hi,

Before I had my first child I was earning about £1650 a month and at the end of my maternity leave, my employers said that I had to either come back to work full time, or not at all...so I decided to resign.

This left my fiance and I living on just his wages which at the time was about £1200 a month, which was a huge struggle.

Luckily, I got a job working some evenings and weekends in a shop, and this is what tides us over. We don't have any money for holidays or anything really, but I am glad to be able to look after my 2 girls myself, and look forward to the day I can go back to working in IT.

My point is basically that it is hard, and I often feel annoyed that I don't have everything I want in life (materially) but my girls have at least one parent looking after them at all times, and we have our whole lives to have holidays and days out.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure