PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Asking questions about DSS

Options
I desperately need to move out and I was wondering how I go about finding DSS rent accepted properties?

Also will DSS cover my full rent if I move to London? How much do you get?

Comments

• tom9980
    tom9980 Posts: 1,990 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Stev23 wrote: »
    I desperately need to move out and I was wondering how I go about finding DSS rent accepted properties?

Also will DSS cover my full rent if I move to London? How much do you get?

Why would you move to the most expensive part of the country when you require benefits? makes little sense.

Look for your Local Housing allowance rate here https://lha-direct.voa.gov.uk/ as an example the property i let out in the midlands would have an allowance of £664 per month but it rents out at £775 a month so a tenant on benefits would need to make up £111 per month from their own pocket to afford it. I imagine it would be a larger gap in the south.

As for Landlords accepting tenants on benefits, yes some do however many more don't and increasingly it is becoming harder for tenants who need benefits to do so.

You could try looking on open rent, facebook, gumtree and word of mouth in order to speak directly to a Landlord because it is unlikely that going through an agent will find you a property.
    When using the housing forum please use the sticky threads for valuable information.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,323 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 19 October 2019 at 1:38PM
    Options
    Depends on the area. You need to google the area you want to move to, and google LHA (Local housing Allowance) for that area. But LHA rarely covers rent costs. I don't even live in London, I live in Gravesend, 12 miles away. Rents for a 3 bed were 1,100, LHA was £775, quite a difference. Most people on benefits are being forced to move out of London because of these costs. I know someone who is in the process of moving to a cheap area of the south coast, he was paying a low rent in London, place wasn't very nice but he didn't mind as it was low rent. The LL reassessed to a more market rate, he can't afford to pay that rent (and he works), so he's had to move 20 odd miles away. Its not an unusual story.

I would imagine its a bad idea to expect to be able to move into London, get benefits, and rent a place. You are definitely going against the trend. The idea being that the government doesn't want to have people living in relatively expensive properties and expecting to have their rent paid (neither do local authorities in expensive areas). Used to happen, but with rents rising the way they have, its not appropriate anymore.

There are also age limits on being given enough to rent a one bed flat, below this age (used to be 35 I think) you are only given enough for a room rental. Unless you have children or disabilities. You might get an absolute dive of a single room somewhere, but even that's going to be expensive. Think Harry Potter's original residence and you get the idea.

Just google any questions you have, but its not DSS anymore, hasn't been for decades, you are better off searching for Universal credit, LHA etc.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,761 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 19 October 2019 at 1:35PM
    Options
    You also need to check the age allowances for what you might get e.g. Just the shared house rate.
    Are you working now? If you give up a job to move then you are likely to get sanctioned.

ETA - I see from your other thread you have a MH diagnosis. What is your current living situation?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Stev23
    Stev23 Posts: 36 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    When I enter the details into the site it says that there are errors in both fields, is the another website to check this?
  • Stev23
    Options
    I thought the highest amount of LHA was £350 a week?
  • tom9980
    Options
    When I enter the details into the site it says that there are errors in both fields, is the another website to check this?

the postcode must be XXX(space)XXX format easiest way is to use the local authority drop down instead.
    When using the housing forum please use the sticky threads for valuable information.
  • Stev23
    edited 19 October 2019 at 2:34PM
    Options
    Did you try entering some details. I think the sites not working.
  • tom9980
    Options
    Did you try it? I think the sites not working.

Yes it works.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,761 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    elsien wrote: »
    You also need to check the age allowances for what you might get e.g. Just the shared house rate.
    Are you working now? If you give up a job to move then you are likely to get sanctioned.

ETA - I see from your other thread you have a MH diagnosis. What is your current living situation?

I'm not asking just to be nosey btw. If you're younger but getting a severe disability premium you may qualify for the higher rate.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Stev23
    edited 19 October 2019 at 3:33PM
    Options
    Does LHA depend on area or eligibility?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income