PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond!

Options

Comments

• Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    2 oversize BNWT mugs for 50p each :)

I like big mugs. Hopefully there's be some ex-Easter Egg Mugs hitting the chazzas soon.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Son who has started driving lesson has still not bothered to acquire a Highway Code.
    So I beamed like one demented today when a copy of "Know Your Traffic Signs" 1995 was for sale for the princely sum of twenty pence. Ah, sweet child, the fun in store for you...

I then walked into a Langley Lucerne teapot, hot water jug, milk jug and two mugs - and the dear soul minding the store blinked & asked if a fiver was too much? Not at all & we exchanged happy memories of grandmothers who Did Things Properly. Often wearing hat & gloves, carrying a handbag - am I one of a dying generation who recalls that as being the minimum requirement to venture across one's lintel for the grandmother of the species? (Also Great Aunts, but I was lucky - mine were [to a woman, ahem] eccentric but never Woosterish.)
    My ordinarily shamefully flexible imagination skitters off and hides if I ask it to continue the scenario where I attend a Scout Meeting in the usual uniform, but also hat, gloves & handbag. I fear we are becoming a lesser race. Those hallmarks of the matriarch are now almost exclusively Royal prerogatives, with the occasional Mother of the Bride aspect. Given the awed respectful love & affection we held our grandmothers in, I think we should reconsider this...
  • bobsa1
    bobsa1 Posts: 1,947 Forumite
    Options
    Very much in the theme of doing things properly I bought a Minton haddon hall 2 tier cake stand today for £3.99. We were bought some of this design as a wedding present (28 years on 7th April) and due to 3 kids and self employment we've not really been in a position to buy more hencemy delight today
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    bobsa1 wrote: »
    Very much in the theme of doing things properly I bought a Minton haddon hall 2 tier cake stand today for £3.99. We were bought some of this design as a wedding present (28 years on 7th April) and due to 3 kids and self employment we've not really been in a position to buy more hencemy delight today
    With the popularity of cup cakes and GBBO, cake stands are very much sought after.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Right folks. Frocks, picture hats and best handbags - we're going to take tea with bobsa1 & celebrate her wedding anniversary in ways her husband might boggle at.
    By Doing Things Properly - teapot, leaf tea, sponge cakes etc [the cupcakes we can leave for the Americans on this occasion, I think?] (and then for light relief, as improperly as the neighbours will permit - I mean really - 28 years deserves celebration - you get less for murder).
    Quick sweep of appropriate afternoon tea games suggests charades, Mah Jongg (no overt betting, though) and possibly Racing Demon. All in the garden, weather permitting, so we can admire (ahem, covet) the curtains and the teak furniture as we gracefully step out into the greenery.
    Husband can wear his dashing suit & DD can either flee in her beloved denim or swing with the punch & join us in something challenging to iron & becomingly jeune fille. (Ye Gods am I glad to be Long Past That now!) My grandmother's idea of Appropriate tended slightly towards the sailor suit, which I thought ridiculous at the time [got me exactly nowhere] & now find charming & hilarious - on others...
  • Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,907 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Right folks. Frocks, picture hats and best handbags - we're going to take tea with bobsa1 & celebrate her wedding anniversary in ways her husband might boggle at.
    By Doing Things Properly - teapot, leaf tea, sponge cakes etc [the cupcakes we can leave for the Americans on this occasion, I think?] (and then for light relief, as improperly as the neighbours will permit - I mean really - 28 years deserves celebration - you get less for murder).
    Quick sweep of appropriate afternoon tea games suggests charades, Mah Jongg (no overt betting, though) and possibly Racing Demon. All in the garden, weather permitting, so we can admire (ahem, covet) the curtains and the teak furniture as we gracefully step out into the greenery.
    Husband can wear his dashing suit & DD can either flee in her beloved denim or swing with the punch & join us in something challenging to iron & becomingly jeune fille. (Ye Gods am I glad to be Long Past That now!) My grandmother's idea of Appropriate tended slightly towards the sailor suit, which I thought ridiculous at the time [got me exactly nowhere] & now find charming & hilarious - on others...

There will be crocheted doilies under the cakes I hope and a, lovingly embroidered with cross stitch, tablecloth? Not to mention the cake forks and delicate linen napkins? Searching for my white gloves and pearls as we speak......:p
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    Liking the Mantaray dress, VFM, lovely pattern and a flattering style - not to mention a great bargain.
    I looked at the label earlier - it was bought at £13.50, which was 70% off - peeled it back before it went in the WM this morning and it was indeed originally £45. Not a sum I would have paid for a cotton casual dress.

Can't believe I got the whole bundle of good quality clothing (9 items) for just £7!
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Lucy5781
    Lucy5781 Posts: 745 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Dropped off three small bags of stuff in donation to the local hospice charity shop.

Then trawling else where found myself two longer length purple tops and an un labelled grey jersey dress which is actually adapted for breastfeeding as I showed the assistant. All under £3 each.

Also got DS an H&M Minions top, book and no.2 a white cardigan all three for £2 on the Scope £1 shop.
    Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Jan 2012: £16,000+ :eek: [STRIKE] Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Sep 2013: £13,023 [/STRIKE]
    DRO Completed: 30/09/2014 :T
    30/09/19 - Details now dropped off debt register. :o

My Diary - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4202761
  • cbsexec
    cbsexec Posts: 578 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    lovely per una trousers bnwt on £1 rail
  • retiredinfrance
    Options
    What does bnwt stand for, please?
This discussion has been closed.