The trials & tribulations of a 1st time landlord & investor

Options

Comments

• vandanfc
    vandanfc Posts: 2,027 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    TallGirl wrote: »
    My car insurance is also due and MOT but money in joint account doe this. Hoping to get car insurance via Meercats to get two for one cinema tickets would be a nice thing to do together.

Why not just take out a cheap travel policy, I think mine was for a weekend trip in UK and cost less than £3. That way you can possibly get cashback (TCB or Quidco) on a better deal or just a cheaper deal overall.
  • TallGirl
    TallGirl Posts: 5,566 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank you that's a good idea will definitely consider that if the quote isn't cheaper or around the same for the car.

Email from IFA today with his suggestions as we had discussed but some parts are a bit confusing. I might run it past the savings board once I've spoken to him. I need to know how much the pension will get topped up really before I can see the big picture he's still working that out.

Met friend after work with her friend nice but very brief but DG and i will meet them both again next week and see her in a comedy night so that's fine. She's the first person I first told about DG when I barely know her but she left her husband at 28 and has been with women ever since. The other lady also left her husband and kids later in life to be with a women. Weird as it sounds they are kind of our mentors as they have kind of experienced the same thing. They also both play golf which is handy.

DG is watching telly hence why I'm writing in my diary still no temptation for alcohol even in the pub today. A friend is coming over for dinner on Thursday but I think it will be fine it's a school night and she can drink if she wants.

Anyway enough for now.
    Save £12k in 24 No 50
    PB Win 21 £225, 22 £275, 23 £900, Balance Mar  £30,850 + £12K added to pension) (Wins 24 Jan £200 Feb £150 Mar £75 Apr £125) 
    Plan to move to Denmark for FIRE by 2028 “May your decisions reflect your hopes not your fears”
    New diary aiming for fire https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6414795/mortgage-free-now-aiming-for-fire#latest

• TallGirl
    Options
    On my leadership course this morning so late start and no work but working tomorrow and the next three Fridays:eek:

Been watching the news closely re Gambia and late last night it changed so we were allowed to change our holiday. We both love Gambia but can really only go away that week and want winter sunshine so after a long wait on the phone cancelled Gambia for full refund and rebooked to Cape Verde which sounds very similar and a friend went there last year. We're all inclusive something I've never been but actually only £247 more than Gambia which as B&B. DG is paying the difference. :j

Got my Santander regular saver set up so all money saved for this month £750 must update the same £12k in 2017. Earned £33.30 in interest from the money sat in my savings account.

Right need to get up the tutor hates people being late.
    Save £12k in 24 No 50
    PB Win 21 £225, 22 £275, 23 £900, Balance Mar  £30,850 + £12K added to pension) (Wins 24 Jan £200 Feb £150 Mar £75 Apr £125) 
    Plan to move to Denmark for FIRE by 2028 “May your decisions reflect your hopes not your fears”
    New diary aiming for fire https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6414795/mortgage-free-now-aiming-for-fire#latest

• TallGirl
    Options
    Course really good enjoyed it friend cancelled issue with son needs to go back home actually relieved can chill this evening. Work tomorrow and PT then poss driving range another no alcohol Friday. Saves money too which is good.

Got plan from IFA it's quite detailed and I think I understand most of it and it makes sense.
    Save £12k in 24 No 50

• abouttimetoo
    abouttimetoo Posts: 1,860 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi TG :hello:

How lovely to see you on the boards again. I've been AWOL myself for a long time - had a bit of a health issue, nothing life threatening but it really slowed me down and a wake up call in many respects - but I'm still plugging away in the background at being MF

I'm really sorry to hear about your ex-OH but great to see you settled and making plans for the future

I might even update my own diary this week if I get a mo, I think it's not far off a year since I posted on it. I was never a daily poster but nearly a year is not good is it :D

Regards
    ATT
    MFW Start Date 1.4.08. Updated 23.1.18. MFW date 1.8.18
    Original Mortgage o/s £187,643 / £71,904 (-115,739)
    Repay o/s £92,661 / now £55,900 (-36,761)
    Int Only o/s £94,982, now £16,004 (-78,978)
    Total daily interest £1 [a) £0.77 b)£0.23
    Total OP's:2018 target £TBC YTD £1,995
  • TallGirl
    Options
    Hey ATT
    A big welcome back lovely to see you around again sorry you've been unwell can't wait for the update. I agree re the cash in banks just isn't doing much anc not a lot to move it over to unless you want loads of accounts.

It's Friday not had a drink but been to the gym and watch Zootropolis really cute Disney cartoon movie. Gym was hard with PT but we are progressing and getting better. Haven't missed having a drink feel more energetic and sleep better which is weird as I only ever drank Fridays.

Work done hard doing five days sounds strange but amazing how quickly I have got used to four days. Have booked money off as I worked today but working the next two Fridays so plans needed to take time off. So busy at work and still a bit scary but CEO is supportive and really helpful.

Speaking to IFA Monday got some questions for him and some changes I wouldn't mind making but he is the expert. Not heard from brother in law so annoyed as I want to pay the funeral hopefully he'll work it all out this weekend and send it to me.

Not had final pension money but it said ten working days and I only sent letter Monday.

Plans this weekend are picking up parcel with golf kit at its office, golf on the nice nine hole course, shopping in Lidl and gym. Should be another productive one but DG isn't feeling a bit crap loads of people off sick at her work and she's sur she's caught it.

Going to bed shortly reading the news sounds like Gambia could sort itself out but I'm happy with Cape Verde nice to go somewhere new and we can always go back to Gambia.

Night night all
    Save £12k in 24 No 50

• TallGirl
    Options
    Morning all DG is still asleep but I'm. Had a really good night nights sleep tired from a lovely round of golf yesterday with no arguments between us on the course. Well not real arguments we haven't had our first row yet just squabbles as she's a newbie and I get a bit frustrated when she is slow or faffs.

Need a to do list today as lots to do but do have Monday off which is fab.

To do
    Lidl shopping write list first as needs loads
    Washing
    Gym, sauna and steam
    Write down questions for IFA before call tomorrow morning
    Update savings amounts before call to IFA

Not a lot actually that's cool.

Money still hasn't arrived from second pension and still not heard from BIL really not sure what's going on with the latter. Weird he's quite money focussed and it's a lot of money I owe him from the funeral.

Really miss my cats can't wait to see them when I go back down South and yes I know they aren't mine anymore.
    Save £12k in 24 No 50

• TallGirl
    Options
    Let's have a look what I managed to do:

To do
    Lidl shopping write list first as needs loads done
    Washing done
    Gym, sauna and steam done
    Write down questions for IFA before call tomorrow morning reminded me to do now
    Update savings amounts before call to IFA done

Also managed to cook a scrummy sausage casserole type thing in big slow cooker 6 meals in total and free meat at prev house mate left them behind in freezer so had to be eaten posh ones too.

Gym was good used steam and sauna may as well while paying for posh gym.

Done my budget and worked out my savings for call tomorrow need to write down questions but kind of know where I'm going.
    Save £12k in 24 No 50

• TallGirl
    Options
    Been quite a productive morning had phone call with IFA and the plan is taking shape.

Going to see him next Monday to sign things and pay some money over but roughly this is the plan:

Cash:
    £15k emergency fund already sorted
    £50k in aldermore 1year income bond at 1%
    £2k in cash ISA
    £50k premium bonds

Investments
    £14,240 to top up S&S ISA 16/17
    £18k to set up S&S ISA 17/18
    £50k collective investment account
    £24k ongoing investment month into above CIA

Pensions
    £22,900 New pension using unused 16/17 allowance
    £22,000 into above pension 17/18

That's a total of £253,340 but there's a bit more so might be more to come just wish I could pay ex bil but still nothing so strange.

As you know I've got 3 regular savings accounts set up with banks for £750 a month total. I logged into RateSetter which is P2P lending as I opened an account in Jan. I opened it as I thought I would get £100 for investing £1000 but I didn't however today it said anyone who opened after 2/1 and before 3/2 would get it so duly transferred in. Also set up £250 a month to go into this account from my rental income. Very happy I spotted this offer was back on.

Back to IFA his charges are as follows for opening account plus advice I've already had which is quite a lot:
    ISA £100
    CIA £200
    Pensions £500 this is also to combine old ones

Ongoing fee will be 0.5% of total amount invested which I work out to be a max £1500 a year.

Very happy with this as I paid £800 for a duff report and nothing else from my last IFA.

Seeing him Monday so sign the papers and get the ball rolling. Will go down Sunday stay with friend hopefully and see cats. Also catch up with a few friends hopefully and FIL.

Not sure what I'm doing for the rest of the day have also sorted my rental expenses and income out on a spreadsheet was in a bit of a mess.
    Save £12k in 24 No 50

• TallGirl
    Options
    Booked laser treatment appointment £200 to get the ball rolling but it's moorfield and I want the best. Need to wear glasses one week before that's not so nice but hopefully worth it.

Things that needs to be done:
    - book flights to Denmark for confirmation
    - Do car insurance quote

Booked another Monday off as now need to work one more Friday and I prefer my long weekends over a day off in the week as you just end up playing catch up.

Went to see a friends comedy night last night free but two pints of coke was £7.40 that's robbery but London of course.

Still no drinking didn't even miss it dispite being in a pub. Meeting a friend from prev job Tuesday she's pregnant again last one was still born so pleased for Her.

Early nig tonight
    Save £12k in 24 No 50

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure