PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Bookworm’s Thread 2018

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Just started reading our book club book The History of Love not very thick book but very small print so may take awhile ,but I am enjoying it at the moment
  • Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,372 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I'm reading The Body Keeps the Score: Brain, Mind, and Body in the Healing of Trauma. Not exactly light-hearted reading but interesting.
    VfM4meplse wrote: »

This was published last year, wasn't it? It's been on my list since then by not yet in my local library. I rather get the impression that it could offer focus to a lot of people.

I'm not sure, I read about it on a blog and bought it on impulse as it was only a couple of quid.:)
  • Serendipitious
    Serendipitious Posts: 6,446 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    [IMG]https://panmacmillan.azureedge.net/pml/panmacmillancorporatesite/media/panmacmillan/cover-images/mark-lawson/__thumbnails/9781447235699the deaths_jpg_264_400.jpg[/IMG]

Four families live in a beautiful stretch of English countryside in magnificent listed houses, built for the old aristocracy. They are the new aristocracy and the elite of their village: financiers, business tycoons, lawyers, doctors, magistrates. They leave their rural idyll only to commute first-class to London for meetings, deals and theatre outings or Heathrow flights to winter sun or half-term skiing. They and their children are protected by investments, pensions and expensive security systems.

But ..... an unthinkable act of violence destroys these dream lives and demonstrates that the biggest threat may come from unexpected places. This horrific act happens on the first pages but Lawson provides dramatic twists and false turns and it is only by the end of the book that we discover who the victims are and who committed the crime.

(Synopsis above by PanMacmillan)

I loved this, it was unputdownable, very filling for a voracious reader, and found it funny/dark, light/dense in equal measure. 10/10
    “All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.”

• Callie22
    Callie22 Posts: 3,444 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Serendipitous, I really liked The Deaths too - it is very dark but there's enough humour in there to lighten up what is a very serious subject. None of the characters are particularly likeable but it's a well-told story. I recently read The Allegations by the same author and enjoyed that too, but The Deaths was the better novel, I think.
  • Serendipitious
    Serendipitious Posts: 6,446 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Callie22 wrote: »
    Serendipitous, I really liked The Deaths too - it is very dark but there's enough humour in there to lighten up what is a very serious subject. None of the characters are particularly likeable but it's a well-told story. I recently read The Allegations by the same author and enjoyed that too, but The Deaths was the better novel, I think.

Glad you liked it too. :) It reminded me a bit of some of Jilly Cooper's settings but with a lot more muscle applied to the plotting and characterisation, and plenty of dramatic tension. I'll definitely give some of his others a try.
    “All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.”

• gettingtheresometime
    Options
    Thank you to Gettingthere for the recommendation of Life Death and Vanilla Slices. I'm really enjoying it. Some bits have made me laugh out loud. The main character is the same age as me - a 1960s child so her childhood memories are very familiar.
    I recently gave up reading Faking Friends. It started very well but the plot became far fetched and it turned into a "who can be the most horrible?" By half way through I had no empathy for any of the characters.

I think the moral of FF is (without giving away the ending) is that two wrongs don't make a right. In a way it showed how you could be anyone (or even anywhere) on the internet.

Will have to see if the library has The Deaths & will order it if they have as it sounds like my sort of book.

Still struggling with Ready Player One.
  • RicardaRacoon
    Options
    Evening everyone

Right after The Guernsey Literate and Potato Peel Pie Society which I really enjoyed I've found another great book and am speeding through it and am really loving it...

When we meet again - Kristin Harmel
    A woman gets a painting of her grandmother with a note saying "He has never stopped loving her, she was the love of his life." and sets out to find the mysterious sender of the note...
    It was a bit forseenable - as I have read a story with a slightly similar story line - but sooo good and I cried more than once... My cats think I am a !!!!!... :-)

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
    Nothing much to say about that, my favourite of all of them as it was the first one I read all these years ago.

Books I plan to read:

Everyone brave is forgiven - Chris Cleave
    Harry Potter 3-7
    Russian Winter - Daphne Kalotay. Read it two or three years ago and think I have to reread it...
    Fashion on the Ration 2022: 5/66 coupons used: yarn for summer top 5 /
    Note to self, don't buy yarn!
  • Syman
    Syman Posts: 2,616 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi Guys, it's been a while.

I have read a few "throwaway" thrillers and....

31434883.jpg

Not sure this is a "male" book, but i enjoyed it nevertheless. The blooming personality of Eleanor is delightfully written. The angst she goes through is also sympathetically and sensitively portayed.

Also...

35523006.jpg

Listed as historical fiction, but based on a true account.

well written account of a Auschwith/Berkenau prisoner and what he had to do to survive.
    Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today!:mad:
    Cos if you do it today and like it...You can do it again tomorrow.. :p

Bookworm's Thread 2019 reading Challenge total :- 1/60
  • sugarbaby125
    sugarbaby125 Posts: 3,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I just finished reading The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon and it was a completely enthralling read for me.:j:D:T

This book had me hooked from the 1st few lines of page 1 and kept me wanting to know more even after I had come to the last word of the last page. It is jam packed with unforgettable, believable characters, mystery, love stories and supsense.

This book was a very well deserved 10/10 for me
  • timehastoldme
    Options
    Neville Shute: On The Beach.

The entire population of the northern hemisphere has been wiped out due to nuclear war. In Australia they are waiting out their last few months until the radiation creeps down to them.

Amazing, harrowing, floods of tears and a brain that couldn't escape this story and probably never will. I'm glad I read it, but know it will haunt me.

Next up, The Furies by Keith Roberts. More radiation, but this time with massive wasps.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure