Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • GillDavies12345
    • By GillDavies12345 12th Nov 17, 2:50 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Gifting shares to my spouse
    • #1
    • 12th Nov 17, 2:50 PM
    Gifting shares to my spouse 12th Nov 17 at 2:50 PM
    hi there, I want to gift some shares in a family business to my spouse. It looks on the HMRC website as if there is no capital gains to be paid on this as he is my spouse and we live together. But are there any other costs? Or anything about this that may incur costs in the future that I might not have considered? I'm not sure where to get advice on this, so hoping someone on this forum can help. Thanks in advance
Page 1
    • Tom99
    • By Tom99 12th Nov 17, 4:54 PM
    • 2,218 Posts
    • 1,502 Thanks
    • #2
    • 12th Nov 17, 4:54 PM
    • #2
    • 12th Nov 17, 4:54 PM
    My understanding is that the spouse would take on the shares at your cost and so defer the capital gain until they in turn sell them.

    Other than that I would think the only cost is any transfer costs involved.
    • jimjames
    • By jimjames 12th Nov 17, 8:28 PM
    • 12,645 Posts
    • 11,311 Thanks
    • #3
    • 12th Nov 17, 8:28 PM
    • #3
    • 12th Nov 17, 8:28 PM
    Are the shares listed or just ones held in a private company?
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

261Posts Today

2,961Users online

Martin's Twitter