Equifax error on OHs account & they wont remove it?!

Options
Hi,

I’m just wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation and if so how they managed to resolve it?

OH and I have made an offer on our dream house but the mortgage application is on hold due to an error on OHs credit report so we’re risking losing the house :(

Equifax have added someone with a similar name’s default to OHs credit file. The default is with Virgin. Equifax say Virgin have confirmed it doesn’t relate to us and they will remove the error.

Problem is they aren’t doing it! He first rang a month ago and they said 10 working days. He’s rang many times since and they just give a seemingly random amount of days. They lie, they promise it will be done by a certain date and it isn’t.

Their call centre is based in India and communication isn’t easy. We’ve emailed the complains department who said they can’t help us (?!), I’ve tweeted them and I’ve spoken to them on Facebook messenger. We are no further forward and I just don’t know what else we can do, I’m so worried we’ll lose the house.

Please has anyone had a similar problem with them and how did it get resolved? Or does anyone have a UK email or phone number for them that’s worked for you.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• tenchy
    tenchy Posts: 486 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If this is not resolved very quickly you may need to consult a solicitor. If you do lose the house you may have a strong case for significant compensation, depending on the precise circumstances. When all is done and dusted, please report Equifax and/or Virgin to the ICO. They should face sanctions for this type of error. An error which smacks of poor data processing standards.
  • Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    As tenchy has said above, you should already have a solicitor in place - use them! Get them to send Virgin and Equifax a letter before action and watch how fast they pull their finger out.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
  • rosie.j7
    rosie.j7 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you so much for your replies! I!!!8217;ll mention it to the solicitor, fingers crossed they can help.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure