PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Is buying a house a good idea?

Options
I've got about £4.5k saved up in my help to buy ISA and was considering a transfer into the Lifetime ISA to get the £1k annual bonus but i'm having doubts. This is because i won't be able to use that money to travel or get myself nice things. I get envious seeing my friends travelling the world.

I'm 27 and looking to get my own place by age 35 at the absolute latest. So is house ownership a goal to aspire to or am i better off closing my ISA withdrawing the money and using it for something else?

Thanks

Comments

• buggy_boy
    buggy_boy Posts: 657 Forumite
    Options
    It really depends what you want... You can't have your cake and eat it... Like everyone before you, if you want the benefits of home ownership you have to work for it and make sacrifices.
  • PositivelyPerturbed
    Options
    Your friends will all be living in poverty and dependent on the state when they reach retirement age (probably before). A home of your own can give you security and money when you are older.
  • Nathaniel_Essex
    Options
    Unless you have rich parents who will buy you a house, plan on winning the lottery or have a terminal illness, spending your money on a house instead of "nice things" is almost definitely the better option.

I purchased my property at 26 and in order to do so I had to watch many of my friends go on holidays and drive cars better than mine. Do I have regrets? No.

Not 30 yet and I own a home, still have the same cheap car, but can afford to go on holidays any time on reasonably want. Problem doing all the fun stuff first is that house prices go up, jobs get more competitive and you get older.

Get that !!!! over and done with as soon as.
  • bobbymotors
    bobbymotors Posts: 746 Forumite
    Options
    if you want somewhere to live then i'd say buying a house is definitely a good idea.
  • Mickygg
    Mickygg Posts: 1,737 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 24 March 2018 at 9:47PM
    Options
    Yes a good idea. But only if affordable and not if it means you sit at home eating beans on toast every night using candle light.

Oh and before a fool called crashy time posts he will say 'absolutely look to buy in 8 years time as house prices will have crashed by at least 90%, IMO' This sort of post is his wet dream to post his utter rubbish on.
  • sv722
    sv722 Posts: 26 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Unless you have rich parents who will buy you a house, plan on winning the lottery or have a terminal illness, spending your money on a house instead of "nice things" is almost definitely the better option.

I purchased my property at 26 and in order to do so I had to watch many of my friends go on holidays and drive cars better than mine. Do I have regrets? No.

Not 30 yet and I own a home, still have the same cheap car, but can afford to go on holidays any time on reasonably want. Problem doing all the fun stuff first is that house prices go up, jobs get more competitive and you get older.

Get that !!!! over and done with as soon as.

I have not got rich parents and winning the lottery is unlikely so i think i'll go ahead and transfer to the lifetime ISA. Is £10k a substantial deposit to get a 1 bed? I'd be looking to buy in Bristol.

Also i've been an Economist for 6 months so my career prospects are good, but how and why do jobs get competitive as you get older?
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    buggy_boy wrote: »
    It really depends what you want... You can't have your cake and eat it... Like everyone before you, if you want the benefits of home ownership you have to work for it and make sacrifices.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/money/greedy-fantasists--how-existing-12219038
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
  • buggy_boy
    buggy_boy Posts: 657 Forumite
    Options

Another useless and irrelevant link brought to you by Crashy.... Ignore this jester he is just a Troll...
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    sv722 wrote: »
    I have not got rich parents and winning the lottery is unlikely so i think i'll go ahead and transfer to the lifetime ISA. Is £10k a substantial deposit to get a 1 bed? I'd be looking to buy in Bristol.

Also i've been an Economist for 6 months so my career prospects are good, but how and why do jobs get competitive as you get older?

Being an economist you should know the answer already, and also that 4.5k is not going to buy you much house in this bubble. If you didn`t notice already a lot of the advice you will get here comes from people with big mortgages and BTL`s who don`t want interest rates to rise or house prices to drop, so much better to DYOR IMO ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure