Advice Needed

Options
A colleague of my wife has an issue and is needing advice.

She bought a TV and Xbox from brighthouse, for her partner, the credit is in her name.

They split up and he pawned both off, she is now being chased by brighthouse for the payments, she has been into the branch to explain but they're no help. He won't pay up and pawn shop won't release any info.

Police won't help either as it's a civil matter.

I've said to see a lawyer or the CAB

All help us appreciated

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The debt is hers, unfortunately. Nothing to do with him. .
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,627 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    she bought it so unfortunately she is responsible for making the payments. She could maybe try to take the ex partner to small claims court but chances of success aren't high. Given that it is a brighthouse purchase she may well not want to throw good money after bad and chalk it up to 'don't do that again'
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yep unfortunately she has to carry on with the payments, by all means she could go and see a lawyer but if he hasnt got the money because he has spent the money then shes up the creek.
  • kevChan
    kevChan Posts: 14 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    it is a civil matter i'm afraid. no chance of her getting her money from the ex.

A good lesson learnt for her--only do this for lovers if you are in civil partnership or a marriage.
    don't do it for boyfriend/girlfriend!!!!
  • ThonasCook
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I'll let her know.
  • John_G_Jones
    Options
    ThonasCook wrote: »
    A colleague of my wife has an issue and is needing advice.

She bought a TV and Xbox from brighthouse, for her partner, the credit is in her name.

They split up and he pawned both off, she is now being chased by brighthouse for the payments, she has been into the branch to explain but they're no help. He won't pay up and pawn shop won't release any info.

Police won't help either as it's a civil matter.

I've said to see a lawyer or the CAB

All help us appreciated

As above, it’s her debt, so she needs to pay it.

Given the interest rates it’s worth checking if she would get a benefit from borrowing from elsewhere and paying it off early.

Another option (and I’m speculating here) is to take the receipt down to the pawn shop and ask what they think they are doing taking her TV. Maybe they’ll sell it back at the tiny price the ex received.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure