BT: Broadband Downgrade

Options
I recently renewed (last week) my Broadband and Phoneline with BT. This was a "special deal" (discount) - it might not have been the best deal, but Offsetting the hassle of switching I decided to accept it.

Previously I was on Superfast Fibre 2 and was generally getting speeds above the state 67Mb/s., which was good and I accept a lot better than a lot of people get.

However it appears that as well as the discount, BT have downgraded my package to Superfast fibre, which appears to be limited to 50Mb/s. Granted this is still reasonably good, but its not what I agreed to. I was renewing my existing deal - not changing it. If I had wanted to change - I'd have went elsewhere.

Interestingly the renewal email said my package would be "Superfast Fibre" but with a speed of between 70 and 78Mb/s - hence I had assumed that would be the case.

Having spent approx 4 hours on the phone with BT, over 2 nights, I finally got someone to agree that my contract (both on the billing system and whatever configures the broadband infrastructure) had been changed inadvertently. They said they had raised a internal ticket to get it corrected. Apparently it had to be resolved internally by manual entry and could take up to 5 days. I'm assuming this means that someone has to go into the database and fix it - but frankly I'm not buying it. Having an understanding of IT systems - it seems strange that the system can automatically changed change me from "Superfast Fibre 2" to "Superfast Fibre" - but changing the other way requires "manual entry".

They said this would be resolved in 5 days - which is today. Given its still not resolved, thats this evenings entertainment sorted out.

Has anybody had a similar experience?
Anyone any advice?

I've still a couple of days in my cooling off period, and I'm prepared to give BT a bit more time to resolve this, but I don't want to get trapped into this "deal" especially when I know I could get a far better deal with Sky - even for the same amount of hassle.

Thanks
D

Comments

• AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I guess you need to request cancellation on day 12 or soon. to give them a few days to fix it.

Move to nowtv.

The advantage of BT is that it is 50mbps. Where as basic fibre elsewhere is 40mbps
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure