Comments

• voixdeville
    Options
    Thanks so much to everyone for the info! xxx
  • Kynthia
    Kynthia Posts: 5,668 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Not all babies like going under water. We did the classes for a year a my daughter hated being put under water even though she enjoyed the rest of the class. As has been said, once you stop the classes the baby forgets all they learnt if they are young. I think I would look for a cheaper company next time that wasn't so focussed on going under the water.
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
  • Summer_Dreams
    Options
    I did the water babies classes as I really wante d an underwater photo! She hates being put underwater and would come up coughing which made me worry she was inhaling some water so stopped after the first term.

I know people go on about the safety near water but I won't be leaving her unsupervised near water and when we were on holiday near the pool she also wore a safety vest.

Try to take them Swimming regularly and they soon develop water confidence anyway!
  • sweetilemon
    Options
    Our local pool has 'turtle tots'. I would have taken my daughter to them. I see the mums and tot's regularly and they seem to really enjoy it and progress but I do hear moans about pricing and if their baby gets upset during the lesson it's a lot of money wasted. I would check the pool temperature with staff before booking and make sure they have plenty of facilities. If my daughter has a sibling I would definitely take them, worth the money but I would see if they do a free trial or just take them to the pool to see if they like it first. The good thing is a trained first aider on hand, the nursery rhymes (louder than you could do alone), social aspect and knowledge to teach them different stages (underwater etc) at the correct pace. Downside is the set time (if they need a feed, not feeling well/tired) and lots of mums getting their babies chaged at the same time.
  • sulphate
    sulphate Posts: 1,235 Forumite
    Options
    When i was on maternity leave i took my lb to the lessons at my local council swimming pool which is 5 minutes away, it was lovely and now i am back at work my mum takes him (he is now 21 months). You don't get the underwater photos etc like you do with water babies but like you i felt the cost was extortionate and also our nearest water babies class was 15 miles away. The main idea at this age is to get them used to the water etc and i didn't feel like you have to pay a high cost for that.

However as someone else has already mentioned make sure you keep it up because i stopped lessons when i went back to work and my mum didn't start taking him again until about 7 months later and it was like he had forgotten most things, so it is worth keeping it up IMO.
  • happybunny86
    Options
    Is there anyone who offers private lessons near you. I live in South Yorkshire and we went to a lady who does weekly lessons but also sessions to get you confident enough to go alone and understand safety. She's called bubble and splash and on Facebook if you would consider travelling. After that you'd have the skills to go to your own pool.
    Pay off Debts by Christmas 2015 = DEBT FREE! :)
  • happybunny86
    Options
    Also if you want underwater photos buy an underwater camera and go with your partner. It's cheaper than the posh photo sessions :)
    Pay off Debts by Christmas 2015 = DEBT FREE! :)
  • juliamarshall001
    Options
    I am from Houston, My daughter is learning swimming skills from Pengu Swim School in $78/month which include other facilities also, quite cheap though.
  • lrastriker
    Options
    I've tried swimming with my baby before she's 1. She loves the water but the problem is she keeps swallowing some every time she moves her feet and hands while giggling a lot. She didn't want any floater so I have to hold her tight. I've wanted her to go under but I'm too scared. I'm always envious of those tiny babies able to hold their breath when under water. Too bad we don't have any swimming lessons for babies here.
  • jackomdj
    jackomdj Posts: 3,073 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I am from Houston, My daughter is learning swimming skills from Pengu Swim School in $78/month which include other facilities also, quite cheap though.

Julia I am sure op has found suitable lessons as her post was a couple of years ago. Also is the swim school you are promoting in America? This is a uk site.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure