Old €50 euro notes question

Options
Today i got 3 €50 old notes in my currency, I am just wondering are they still ok to use in Malta? I am not sure weather i should contact the shop in question?

Thank you
Jan Wins: .

Comments

• eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,583 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    They are fine, previous issue euro notes do not become withdrawn and invalid for use in the same way as English (but not Scottish etc) sterling notes. They are just gradually replaced by new issue over time, meanwhile perfectly acceptable.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • JezR
    JezR Posts: 1,697 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Here is what the ECB says about it:
    Parallel circulation of banknotes of the first series and of the Europa series
    The first series of euro banknotes will continue to be issued alongside the Europa series of notes until the remaining stocks have been used up. They will then be gradually phased out. The date when the first series of euro banknotes ceases to be legal tender will be announced well in advance. However, the banknotes of the first series will always retain their value: they can be exchanged for an unlimited period of time at the Eurosystem NCBs.
    Countries across Europe had various strategies with their old notes from never formally withdrawing them at all to making them valueless after a certain period. The ECB is running a strategy more like the UK issuers, except with a prolonged cross-over period.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure