Post Office broadband - experience?

Options
Hi guys,

My g/f is about to come out of a 12 month TalkTalk contract for just their basic broadband, which, I have to say, since using our own router has been spot on! Used a lot for streaming mainly, I can't fault it... their own D-Link kit was dire. Constant drops and really poor wifi coverage.

Anyway, looking for something cheap and the £17 a month deal from the Post Office has caught my eye. Loads of bad reviews online, but there are for TalkTalk too, so I'm looking for real life users here :D

So, any current users willing to share their experiences here?

Thanks.

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Is it not just a resold TT service from the PO .
    Plenty of posts on here try the forum search .
  • lulah_j
    lulah_j Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    sorry that this is not relevant to the question, but i am trying desperately to find out how to post a new thread on this use forum, please can someone tell me, i am sitting here looking all over the screen and cannot see any where to start a post :(
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    @lulah_j
    Above the list of threads is a red button marked "New Thread". Just click that.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    gsmlnx wrote: »
    @lulah_j
    Above the list of threads is a red button marked "New Thread". Just click that.

Red button? Mine is blue.

@lulah_j you won't see it on this thread obviously but on the forums and sub forums, top left just above the first thread.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Thanks guys! I'll do a search then.

I think my mind's already been made though; they don't look too promising...
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    slipd wrote: »
    Hi guys,

My g/f is about to come out of a 12 month TalkTalk contract for just their basic broadband, which, I have to say, since using our own router has been spot on! Used a lot for streaming mainly, I can't fault it... their own D-Link kit was dire. Constant drops and really poor wifi coverage.

Anyway, looking for something cheap and the £17 a month deal from the Post Office has caught my eye. Loads of bad reviews online, but there are for TalkTalk too, so I'm looking for real life users here :D

So, any current users willing to share their experiences here?

Thanks.

From what I can see all of them get bad reviews. I remember that a customer service telephone operative lamented that the only time they hear from customers is when they have a complaint.

My daughter has Post Office basic broadband and loves it. Certainly when I visit I don't have any problems connecting. But she got it against my advice because the saving on basic broadband over fibre isn't all that great. For example, there is Vodafone up to 35 Mbps fibre broadband with a 25 Mbps speed guarantee and if they don't make it to that guaranteed speed you get money off your bill and a top notch router all for £21 per month.

I suppose if you never have problems when downloading on basic broadband then saving £4 per month is relevant.
  • sues1_2
    sues1_2 Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    Certainly worth considering the Post Office for broadband and home phone. Not only cheap, but according to
    BroadbandInternetUK they only generated 9 complaints per 100,000 customers in Ofcom's latest report (published April 2019). The industry average is 15 per 100,000 customers.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The complaint % on here is far higher.
    That same report has TT as pretty poor in the ratings .
    PO just hand over everything to TT rather than run it themselves.
  • archer123
    archer123 Posts: 63 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I swapped to PO Broadband from Plusnet on advice from this site! I wish MSE had advised me that PO Broadband was in fact TT in disguise!! Maybe I wouldn't have done it.
    Plusnet is ok, but you constantly have to set a reminder to 'renegotiate' your rates or you get hit with a full-price bill before you know it. Not easy for me to keep tabs, and is not what I want from a provider.
    Anyway, the swap went ok, BUT all my emails using Outlook stopped working.
    Called up PO support. Waste of time. They knew nothing, and the stock answer 'not our problem - call Microsoft' didn't inspire me!
    Anyway, thanks to Google I managed to work it out and change all the settings relating to the plusnet mailserver, but how many others cannot 'fix' the problem?
    Think about the lack of intelligent support provided by PO if you are thinking of changing over.
  • Smitombre
    Options
    The horror stories are true. But with the Post Office, the experience was so bad before I had even got my broadband. The short story is the Post Office left us internet-gazumped. For 14 days, imagine- no streaming services, my wife (who is studying her Masters) unable to study, we both unable to work from home- having to have work conference meetings at relatives’ houses etc.

A complete nightmare.
    Here is what happened

I purchased the broadband through the Post Office website. They contacted my then-provider. As my custom was going over to the Post Office, the then-provider in-affect begins the switch-over process. Please note, that once this takes place, the then-provider is unable to cancel the cancellation of their services unless the Post Office makes the request. I was informed (by the then-provider) they had received the request for a switch-over and it would happen in 15 days’ time.
    One week later I received an email from the Post Office saying they had rejected my order because the landline information was incorrect. After speaking to the then-provider, I confirmed the landline details. Rather than complete the existing order, Post Office created a new order.
    A day later I received another email rejecting my order again, this time because “someone had already put in a request to take over the line”. When I pointed out that someone was them, they told me they were unable to complete the order until the initial 15 days was complete then is would be a further 14 days until they could provide the internet. And because my then-provider had begun the switch-over process, they were unable to continue the internet to that time because they hadn’t received a request to cancel the cancellation, once Post Office rejected the first order.
    Confused? Try spending 3 hours on a Saturday on the phone trying to find out what went wrong… Needless to say we went with a different provider
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure