MSE News: New TSB blunder as customers receive apology letters addressed to others

Options

Comments

• Mchambers
    Mchambers Posts: 1,054 Forumite
    Options
    Uxb wrote: »
    Well pretty well any large organsiation relies on sub-contracted 3rd party professional communication organisations to send out stuff by post or by email - whether that is banks and other financial groups, utilities large retialers like Tesco's/Sainsbury's and probably even councils and charities....and the rest.
    None of these businesses actually have employed people sending out stuff - so I'd hazard a guess that its is all fully compliant with the dogs dinner that is GDPR.

Yes but the addresses must have been supplied by TSB together with people's names. TSB are at fault again not the 3rd-party:D
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mchambers wrote: »
    Yes but the addresses must have been supplied by TSB together with people's names. TSB are at fault again not the 3rd-party:D

The reports I've read in the news suggest it is a case (mainly?) of multiple letters in the same envelope. This happens all the time with envelope stuffing production lines, a couple of pages stick together and two letters go into one envelope. Assuming the third-party is responsible for the physical production and posting of the letters then this is not the fault of TSB (unless they have been careless in picking the third-party contractor), but in any event it is not something which seems to be related to the IT migration).

We are only hearing about it because it is TSB.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    We have been lucky in that our account came back online working fine within 10 days, so we had no reason to complain. The account is paperless and the very good branch is 2 miles away, so we have recourse to solving whatever problems arose. The main difficulty was that a Savings account and 2x ISA's matured during the problems and we could not solve that online or in branch for 3 weeks. However, last week we managed to switch both ISA's and restart the other Savings account, at a better rate. We lost a little interest, but decided that any attempt to claim compensation may very well result in more problems, so we didn't bother.

What surprised me was that TSB may be replacing the 5% interest on the Classic account, but is not giving a decent ISA rate anymore. From a local Building Society branch-only account, I got 2.25%. Ah well, TSB must be recouping losses from somewhere!

And I hasten to reassure certain posters here that we have no official position at TSB, apart from being account holders. ;)
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • stevenhp1987
    stevenhp1987 Posts: 907 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 31 May 2018 at 11:12PM
    Options
    18cc wrote: »
    I am surprised it is taking this long to completely fix everything especially as IBM are involved

lots of bad things are said about IBM but one thing is certain they have some excellent people in their banking sector who should have been able to get to the bottom of this in a reasonable time

the fact they haven't implies it was a lot worse than we thought

I've worked for companies where IBM were part of the contract/tender. In all cases, they were simply part of the deal because of the prestige their name gives to the bid and the company I worked for at the time did all the work, while IBM did nothing.

I expect the same thing here, IBM win tenders and contracts based on their name, not their quality, and then let other companies do the work.

Having IBM as part of the solution is probably why it's taking as long as it is.
  • Mchambers
    Options
    I've worked for companies where IBM were part of the contract/tender. In all cases, they were simply part of the deal because of the prestige their name gives to the bid and the company I worked for at the time did all the work, while IBM, who sub-contracted to us did nothing.

I expect the same thing here, IBM win tenders and contracts based on their name, not their quality, and then let other companies do the work. They don't do anything themselves anymore.

Having IBM as part of the solution is probably why it's taking as long as it is.

I agree. IBM have two groups. They have their A team, who are very good, and their B team, who are not so good. I suggest that TSB got IBM in more in hope that any genuine expectation. Probably working on Merva as their main SWIFT interface.

I wonder if they are still using IBM or whether they have been substituted.
  • Shavuot
    Shavuot Posts: 125 Forumite
    Options
    All say they've received letters addressed to at least one other customer - in some cases alongside a correctly addressed letter.
    Surely in ALL cases it must also be alongside a correctly addressed letter.

The letters are sent out in white A5 window envelopes.
    If the letter does not have the correctly addressed letter, the correct address showing in the envelope window, then any error is by the Royal Mail who incorrectly delivered the letter delivered
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,131 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Two letters get folded together , one behind the other.
    One on top showing delivery address,
    Second behind so no details shown through address window.

Letter delivered to address shown on top letter.

Royal Mail deliver to the address showing in the window so Royal Mail have not incorrectly delivered anything.
  • Peter6268
    Peter6268 Posts: 32 Forumite
    Options
    I have also received a 'holding letter' for another TSB customer, stuffed behind a letter correctly addressed to me.

The question is, do I forward the letter onto the other customer (with a covering letter) so that she knows that her personal data has been sent to another customer (me)? Otherwise she may not know!

How do I know that my data hasn't been sent to her or some other person (I have two seperate complaints running with the TSB, but only received one letter addressed to me, so the other 'holding letter' must be somewhere)!

Not very satisfactory. Oh well, now working on my third complaint!
  • Mchambers
    Options
    Peter6268 wrote: »
    I have also received a 'holding letter' for another TSB customer, stuffed behind a letter correctly addressed to me.

The question is, do I forward the letter onto the other customer (with a covering letter) so that she knows that her personal data has been sent to another customer (me)? Otherwise she may not know!

How do I know that my data hasn't been sent to her or some other person (I have two seperate complaints running with the TSB, but only received one letter addressed to me, so the other 'holding letter' must be somewhere)!

Not very satisfactory. Oh well, now working on my third complaint!

Speak to the ICO and ask for advice. ICO will not cost you any money, Will not be avalable until Monday.
  • Mchambers
    Options
    I assume the TSB is still very ill. Bless her. I hope she gets better eventually.:D:rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure