Utility Warehouse (Telecom Plus) Discussion

Options

Comments

• margypoos
    Options
    I moved into my new flat about 5 months ago and was recommended to stay with the previous occupant who I knew quite well as they were the suppliers already so after consideration I did. Having registered on-line they asked for copies of my previous gas and electricity bills which I provided from my previous residence thinking they'd use them for comparison - err no! I was actually then billed for the 2 residences! Having spotted the mistake (a little late really - I'd actually paid 2 of the monthly bills) I notified them and after about 5 days I received a reply saying I would be reimbursed for the error. After another couple of emails and replies now taking 6-7 days I eventually received a credit 3 months later.
    Meanwhile..... The bills kept arriving for my current address and letters referring me to increased charges which seemed to be spiraling out of control. Eventually after receiving a bill for 3 months totalling just under £300.00 I have decided to swap and have just moved suppliers. I have read my meters which were always estimated readings only to discover that instead of me owing them £300.00 they actually owe me £11.
    Lesson severly taught and learned here! I in future will pay more attention to my utility billing and will not pay another bill without submitting my own meter readings 1st.
    I wouldn't recommend them and will avoid them in the future. Thankfully I have no internet or phone service with them.
    As for savings - I can't see how you can maintain a good and loyal customer base when after 5 months nobody ever came to read my meters (which are both outside of the property and easily accessible) means the customer receives over inflated bills and your supplier actually ends up owing you money and then they send letters out referring to debt collection agents.
    Maybe I'll send them a letter saying they owe me £11 and if they don't pay up I'll refer them to my own debit collection agent! :rotfl: he he.
  • NigeWick
    NigeWick Posts: 2,715 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Calin wrote:
    I called to ask if i could switch back to my old provider and guess again?! I must pay a PENALTY of 242.00£
    What was the penalty for?

Nigel.
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
  • NigeWick
    Options
    margypoos wrote:
    Having registered on-line they asked for copies of my previous gas and electricity bills which I provided from my previous residence thinking they'd use them for comparison
    Why would you send bills from a different residence expecting a comparison? Unless they are like for like, there's no chance of accuracy. Personally, I would have explained that I am just moving in and have no bills for the property.

Nigel.
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
  • NigeWick
    Options
    UWDC prices go up today. Not a huge percentage rise but every little hurts.

Nigel.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
  • bendtoy_2
    bendtoy_2 Posts: 131 Forumite
    Options
    NigeWick wrote:
    UWDC prices go up today. Not a huge percentage rise but every little hurts.

Nigel.

But it only went up about a month ago did it not?
  • NigeWick
    Options
    bendtoy wrote:
    Closer to two months, but still not long. I suspect it's to do with the nPower "connection."

Nigel.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,617 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

I'm not defending them but you should check out the size of the rises and not just the frequency to make sure you take it in context.

It could be that they have held back rises and drip fed them rather than doing one big one.

I'm not saying what they are doing is good or bad but it's not necessarily worse than others jsut because tit's more frequent.
    Also rises vary across reasons so they may be good value for some and poor value for others.
  • bendtoy_2
    bendtoy_2 Posts: 131 Forumite
    Options
    As Nigel points out its probaly got something to do with the fact that N Power are now supplying their Energy.

But a rise is rise whatever way you look at it particularly as they dont give you any notice of it happening like other suppliers.

It makes this statement on their website look silly!!!

"Have you noticed how the “Big 6” suppliers always seem to be increasing their prices. No sooner have you moved to a different one because their prices were a little cheaper, then up they go again and you would have been better off staying where you were in the first place! Sound familiar"
  • NigeWick
    Options
    bendtoy wrote:
    But a rise is rise whatever way you look at it particularly as they dont give you any notice of it happening like other suppliers
    As a customer, I either get a notification with my bill, or, as this last one, a seperate letter and attached price table.

Nigel.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
  • sMARTie
    sMARTie Posts: 343 Forumite
    Options
    I just recieved the pitch from my friend who is a UW distributer...

tbh the pitch was good and i know the bloke really well and i dont think he could sell me a scam. I know he will make some money off me joining but he showed how much i cud save if i changed.

I have seen a number of mixed answers on the thread so im still unsure on what to do?

I currently pay:

1)BB with BT - £15 pcm (512 as that is all the exchange has to offer)
    2)phone line with BT - £15 pcm (no free calls, etc)
    3)gas with swalec - £25 pcm
    4)elec with swalec - £25 pcm

out going on bills pcm are - £67...

This is easy and tbh I cant be arsed to change unless i can save quite abit...?

with UW the new charges wud be..

1) BB (& phone line) - £18 (£23)
    2) gas & elec - ???

I dont want to become a distributer as i just dont have the time...

what do you people suggest i do?
    Sponge Bob Square sMARTie Pants :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family