Facebook marketplace & user profile's.

Options
Just curious if any of you are guilty of saying no to an item you'd be interested in buying based purely on a Facebook profile?

Very judgemental i know. Something i suppose we shouldn't be but i don't care who you are, we're all judgemental at one time or another.

I'm looking at the possibility of buying a car and i've seen a few on Marketplace but one look at the profile picture and i think no chance...that'll have been used and abused.

Was looking at the possibility of buying a new PC recently too, again some of the profile's were offputting. Not all but some were. Just take one look & think i don't fancy dealing with you so i'll leave it.

And yes before you get in there i'll say it for you - you could very well think the exact same if you took one look at me. I've never bought off Marketplace although i have sold a fair bit. It's my go to as it's free. eBay is last resort.

Where the buy it and receive it off eBay for example where you've no idea who the person is, just feels 'better' to me. :rotfl:

Comments

• theonlywayisup
    Options
    Generally people cannot help to stereotype. Sometimes that is a good thing, other times it may not be.

Perhaps the ebay thing feels better because you have some protection. I don't know what protection you get on Facebook so take my comment with a pinch of salt....
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,090 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I do the same when offering things for free on Facebook. Check out the profiles of people who message and offer it to someone who looks reliable!

A person's profile is often a good indicator of what the condition of an item will be like.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,207 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If someone wants to buy from me I'm happy to sell, I can't even see how to check a profile on marketplace as all I get is a first name against the picture of the item they want to buy from me.

As for buying all I can see is the photo they put up as their avatar and all the other items they have listed, nothing else, so I don't have a lot to make a judgement on.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • JustAnotherSaver
    Options
    soolin wrote: »
    so I don't have a lot to make a judgement on.
    We're human. We only need a face.

Katie Hopkin's doesn't even need that. If your name in your profile is Chardonnay for example.... :rotfl:

It's strange, as a Facebook seller i've sold to people i would cross the street from if we were on the same side. I've got a lot of "is this still for sale" where i've replied yes literally within 5 seconds of me receiving their message only to never hear from them again ever, but still, i've sold to some people you'd ground your daughter for talking to.

As a buyer though, i've seen these people (purely just their photo most of the time, although some times i can see their detailed profile) and said nah nice item & nice price but i think i'll pass.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,090 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    soolin wrote: »
    I can't even see how to check a profile on marketplace as all I get is a first name against the picture of the item they want to buy from me.

If you click on their picture you have the option to view their Facebook profile.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,388 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'm hoping to start having a clear out and putting a few bits up on Facebook marketplace...just a bit precious about all my Facebook friends seeing my stuff for sale!!!

They'll think all sorts!!

If my profile is private, what can the public see??
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
  • ballisticbrian
    Options
    When you really have to worry is when you have to punch people post code in goo-gle maps and snoop about their neighbourhood, to see if you want to buy, (OR SELL) something to them! :D
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    Options
    Sea_Shell wrote: »
    I'm hoping to start having a clear out and putting a few bits up on Facebook marketplace...just a bit precious about all my Facebook friends seeing my stuff for sale!!!

They'll think all sorts!!

If my profile is private, what can the public see??

As far as I know, marketplace is pretty much separate. A family member has put things up for sale before and it didn't show up on her profile for us (her Fb friends).
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,388 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    As far as I know, marketplace is pretty much separate. A family member has put things up for sale before and it didn't show up on her profile for us (her Fb friends).

Ah, so does it only show on your profile if you choose to "share" it on there??!

I just see my friends selling stuff all the time, so maybe that's what they're doing.
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    Options
    Sea_Shell wrote: »
    Ah, so does it only show on your profile if you choose to "share" it on there??!

I just see my friends selling stuff all the time, so maybe that's what they're doing.

Oh interesting! I don't know, I actually wanted to put a load of stuff on marketplace over summer and wanted a discreet way to let my friends know but without spamming them with lots of listings; as it happened I wasn't up to it so I never found out exactly how it works. (Perhaps I ought to actually *ask* my family member!)

Does anyone else know?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport