PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Do you use "white" & "coloured" laundry powder/tablets/liquid?

Options

Comments

• red_devil
    red_devil Posts: 10,793 Forumite
    Options
    i use powder mainly. Its the cheapest way to buy it and i think i read somewhere its the best for your machine. There is so much choice its daunting.
    :footie:
  • fedupfreda
    fedupfreda Posts: 318 Forumite
    Options
    I use Aldi's Almat liquid for colours, but I 'doctor' it with washing soda (half a bottle of liquid to one teacup of washing soda, top up the bottle with warm water to dissolve the soda). I find this softens the water and makes an already cheap wash product even cheaper. :o

I only use half a capful per wash and pre-treat any stains with the mixture. (How cheapskate is that :o). For whites I add a scoop of vanish oxy white or similar (Aldi do their own brand but I forget what it's called now). Since doing this I have saved a small fortune on washing products which used to either a) not work or b) bring me or the kids out in a rash.

I use Asda's own brand fabric conditioner. Cheap and effective. Stops static cling - IMO vinegar does not seem to do this. As for Ironing water - 2 drops of lavender oil in some water (shake well to mix) seems to work very well.
    SMILE....they will wonder what you are up to...........;)
  • juliettet
    juliettet Posts: 726 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I haven't really used ironing water apart from a gift years ago. Does this really make the clothes smell nicer and does the essential oil mix well?
  • beemuzed
    beemuzed Posts: 2,188 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Have to say, have never used different powder /liquid for whites/ coloureds - just the same for both. have tried most brands over the years, but currently quite happy with Tesco Value Bio powder.
    Mind, I've never been great at separating whites fromm coloureds unless they're coloureds which I think might run (very new or red). No-one's complained over the years either!
    Resolution:
    Think twice before spending anything!
  • taurusgb
    taurusgb Posts: 909 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    I have stopped buying any powder / liquid and make my own...saves a fortune, clothes are clean ......love it :j
    People Say that life's the thing - but I prefer reading ;)
    The difference between a misfortune and a calamity is this: If Gladstone fell jnto the Thames it would be a misfortune. But if someone dragged him out again, that would be a calamity - Benjamin Disreali
  • Money_maker
    Money_maker Posts: 5,471 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I use washballs for most ordinary darks.

Heavily soiled darks (hubbys workclothes) and whites go in with own brand non bio liquid, usually tescos and blue lenor.

Found tablets and powder left white marks on my dark washes.

Have saved a good bit with the washballs, however the balls disintegrated so use old tights instead!
    Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed. ;)

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite! :rotfl::rotfl:
  • FairyElephant_2
    FairyElephant_2 Posts: 1,117 Forumite
    edited 13 May 2009 at 4:25PM
    Options
    We use 1 x Lidl washing tablet and scoop of washing soda for pretty much everything!

If DH's work clothes are really dirty then add extra scoop washing soda.

If I'm doing whites which look a bit dingy then I add a scoop of stain removing/whitening powder (like the one in the pink tub, but again Lidl's).

Conditioner (apart from when doing towels, as it affects their absorbancy so never add it) I use the cheap Lidl one in the blue bottle (as we like the smell) diluted 50% with water - I have a giant bottle from some other conditioner I bought on offer once, so just tip the new one into that and top up with water - job done!

As for ironing....what's that??????????
    The best advice you can give your children: "Take responsibility for your own actions...and always Read the Small Print!"
    ..."Mind yer a*se on the step!"
    TTC with FI - RIP my 2 MC Angels - 3rd full ICSI starts May/June 2009 - BFP!!! Please let it be 'third time lucky'..... EDD 7th March 2010.
  • newleaf
    newleaf Posts: 3,132 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I just use a small measure of normal (Costco own brand) washing powder mixed with washing soda (half & half) and don't notice any excessive fading of colours. I don't use fabric conditioner either, thanks to my old style advisors.
    My mum is obsessive about using the Ariel Colour for coloureds and and Ariel 'ordinary' for whites, and fabric conditioner, and thinks it does make a difference. However, today she gave me a pile of towels, which she has now spurned because 'they've faded'. (Not really sure what's happened to her - she used to be sooo old style!).
    There is actually nothing wrong with the towels, and they will go beautifully with my new shower room (to be installed 26th May, can't flippin wait :j).
    Official DFW Nerd No 096 - Proud to have dealt with my debt!
  • fedupfreda
    fedupfreda Posts: 318 Forumite
    Options
    juliettet wrote: »
    I haven't really used ironing water apart from a gift years ago. Does this really make the clothes smell nicer and does the essential oil mix well?

Hi juliettet - you do have to shake the lavender oil/water mixture quite well, I find it's better to put it in a spray bottle and spray the clothes as you iron - I can then use the iron dry, it's also lighter and doesn't fill up with scale that way (love it when I don't have to descale the iron :D)
    SMILE....they will wonder what you are up to...........;)
  • rach
    rach Posts: 5,476 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I use one persil colour tablet for coloureds, tesco value powder for towels and cleaning cloths and currently M&S whites liquid for my white bedding (only because it was 2 for 1). I always add a scoop of soda crystals and sometimes use a drop of fabric conditioner but usually white vinegar.

I have recently been wondering though whether to switch down to tescos own colour tabs but as I've only got through less than 2 48 boxes of persil in over a year the saving would be minimal.
    Mum to gorgeous baby boy born Sept 2010:j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport