Getting it together...one £ at a time!

Options

Comments

• doingitanyway
    Options
    Paying £10,000 in 2019 would be a massive achievement.
    The podcast sounds good. I find myself listening to podcasts more and more.
    I notice both you and HH stick to weekly shops. I think I am switching to this pattern too.
    I hope you get a late start after working late.
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • Homegrown0
    Homegrown0 Posts: 1,280 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It's an ambitious goal DIA, but one it's important to set. What is the point if i set a goal I know I'd be able to achieve easily?

Weekly shops fit best for us to minimise waste (not 100% but better than monthly shops) and we have such a busy calendar that it helps to plan things week by week. Also, our kitchen at the moment is pretty small and we have a small freezer so I wouldn't be able to store things if i only went shopping once per month. I try to cook fresh as much as possible so weekly helps with the fresh ingredients not going off or running out.

I won't get a late start, but I will be taking an hour out to go to my son's nativity later in the week and another hour to finish early to pick him up from school on his birthday (he normally goes to an after school club on that day). Normally I'd just catch up on anything important but there's a LOT to be done before the Christmas break and I want to get ahead of myself.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 075
    Pay off by Xmas 2019 #02 - target £10,000
  • Homegrown0
    Options
    Some other thoughts/ musings:

1. Finally managed to cash out £15 Amazon voucher from VO (after it's been out of stock for ages)
    2. Did another 27p survey on PA
    3. Currently drinking a pint of water before bed in the hope that being more hydrated will ease my sore throat
    4. Had the surveyor out today to value the house for our new mortgage product - should get to see the full report tomorrow (interested to see if it's gone up in value at all)
    5. I haven't been to bed before 12.30am in the last week so i'm finishing my water then heading to bed!
    Sealed Pot Challenge 075
  • Homegrown0
    Options
    Morning all - how is everyone on this fine Wednesday morning?

I woke up with what felt like razor blades in my throat, so i'm taking some echinacea and cold&flu tablets in the hope of warding it off. In reality, i know it's because I'm run down and too busy (plus haven't been eating as well as I was) so it's not a surprise really. Doesn't help me though, because the rest of the week is super busy!

Managed another 40p survey on PA today - not waiting on 4 being approved worth over £4. Just need £2.79 to cash out.

The £15 Amazon voucher arrived and has now been added to my account. I have a couple of things in my basket for the kids' stockings so i'll see if i still want/ need to get them by the end of the day.

I took a look in TCB and last time i checked, the pending cashback all had 12 week lead times, but this morning everything bar one for £1 was cleared. Applied to have that transferred by BACS so I should have £16.40 coming into my account in the next couple of days. Again, this will go into my credit card.

I need to grab some snacks a little later as we will have family round tomorrow evening for my son's birthday. Hoping to keep to £10 since I'll just be buying crisps and dips, maybe pretzels :)

Discussed the Christmas menu with my husband last night and since we're only cooking for 3 adults and 2 kids (us and MIL) we are going to do a ham and buy a beef wellington + roasties, pigs in blankets, gravy and 3 veg dishes as trimmings. None of us are that keen on turkey so seems pointless buying it. We are pretty sorted for drinks, might just buy some beer and a couple of bottles of prosseco from Aldi. Trying to stay away from too much festive gluttony (most years i'd go wild buying cheese, olives, crackers, sundried tomatoes etc which we really don't need).

I did start a new tab in my spreadsheet to keep track of survey/ cashback earnings and where they're going. hoping this will be a nice motivator.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 075
  • Homegrown0
    Options
    Woof, i've been on fire this morning with PA!

Just got a £4.50 survey and a £2 survey that has another 2 x surveys over the next week to follow on that will yield £2 each if i complete them. I'll keep refreshing today to see if there's any more. Who knows? I might be cashing out twice in the next week if these surveys keep coming!

Holiday
    We have decided what we're doing with our summer holiday so will be booking the ferry and putting a deposit down on the accommodation when my bonus comes in on 28th December (before the holiday rush in January hopefully).

I'll be happy to get that in the diary and have something to look forward to :)
    Sealed Pot Challenge 075
  • doingitanyway
    Options
    Homegrown0 wrote: »
    Holiday
    We have decided what we're doing with our summer holiday so will be booking the ferry and putting a deposit down on the accommodation when my bonus comes in on 28th December (before the holiday rush in January hopefully).

I'll be happy to get that in the diary and have something to look forward to :)
    Great idea to have holiday booked. Everyone has something great to look forward to for longer :)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • abba1772
    abba1772 Posts: 7,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Your target is the same as mine for next year homegrown.......we can do it xx
    NEXT TARGET: Halifax credit card DEC 22 £0 / £4499.12
    POAMAYC 2011 £6378.35 POAMAYC 2012 £5000.78
    POAMAYC 2013 £3480.04 POAMAYC 2014 £4085.14
    POAMAYC 2015 £7565.24 POAMAYC 2016 £8000.90 POAMAYC 2017 £7278.80 POAMAYC 2018 £13208.18POAMAYC 2019 £13309.28 POAMAYC 2020 £15026.05
  • Homegrown0
    Options
    We can do it Abba! I definitely need a focus - life just gets so busy sometimes that it's easy to get distracted and off the wagon but when I've got a goal and can see the numbers, it really drives me.

You've paid off a tremendous amount this year! I've been keeping up with your diary - the amount of stuff you get through in a day really motivates me to get my finger out and get stuff doe :)
    Sealed Pot Challenge 075
  • Homegrown0
    Options
    I have received my TCB cash out and my Prolific payout, which totalled a nice (not so round) £40.01 so have paid that straight to the CC.

I also ordered a jacket for £17.99 and it came completely different to the pictures described (such a con!). They wanted me to post it back to them to get a refund but gave me an address i Hong Kong (this purchase was through Wowcher btw) so i contested it and they told me to just bin it and they'd refund me within the week. So when that £17.99 comes in, i'll put that into the credit card too.

Busy day for the rest of the day - trying to get some work done then it's a birthday gathering for my boy tonight with family. Too much to do!
    Sealed Pot Challenge 075
  • abba1772
    abba1772 Posts: 7,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Homegrown0 wrote: »
    We can do it Abba! I definitely need a focus - life just gets so busy sometimes that it's easy to get distracted and off the wagon but when I've got a goal and can see the numbers, it really drives me.

You've paid off a tremendous amount this year! I've been keeping up with your diary - the amount of stuff you get through in a day really motivates me to get my finger out and get stuff doe :)

See tbh I never imagined paying that amount off in a year but I must be doing something right as my credit score has sky rocketed :T

Come 8am I'm sat on my backside watching tv with the hubby xx
    NEXT TARGET: Halifax credit card DEC 22 £0 / £4499.12
    POAMAYC 2011 £6378.35 POAMAYC 2012 £5000.78
    POAMAYC 2013 £3480.04 POAMAYC 2014 £4085.14
    POAMAYC 2015 £7565.24 POAMAYC 2016 £8000.90 POAMAYC 2017 £7278.80 POAMAYC 2018 £13208.18POAMAYC 2019 £13309.28 POAMAYC 2020 £15026.05
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback