Broadband Boosting discussion

Options
This is the place to discuss the article
Broadband Boosting
Please click 'post reply' to leave feedback and other speed-boosting tips. Thanks :)

articlealert.gif

Comments

• stevdl
    stevdl Posts: 4 Newbie
    Options
    The streetstats site isn't giving very accurate results at the moment...it reports less than half my actual download speed (tested on a number of other sites). Their servers are probably overloaded by readers of the weekly mse email. You might want to try again later if you see the same thing.

Not sure if I'm allowed to recommend other sites but I've found speedtest.net good in the past. It lets you to choose your download server so you can test the speed and delay to other parts of the world (invaluable to me because I do a lot of remote working with people in other countries). The link between you and your ISP is supposed to be the main bottleneck (and it usually is) but it's amazing how slow things can get when you are communicating with people or servers in other countries, especially some of the less developed ones.
  • web_ferret
    web_ferret Posts: 252 Forumite
    edited 3 March 2010 at 2:26PM
    Options
    I agree, something amiss with the streetstats site.
    I tested the work connection this lunchtime and it recorded 2Mb - Its nearer 7Mb on other sites including the one mentioned above which I have used before.
  • JDPower
    JDPower Posts: 1,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 3 March 2010 at 9:47PM
    Options
    I don't know why StreetStats was included in this guide, it's been notoriously inaccurate since it launched and IIRC was rubbished on this very site (not working at all when I try entering my post code).
  • steliz
    steliz Posts: 62 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Does anyone know which settings I should check to find out if any video streaming programs are using my bandwidth.
  • JDPower
    JDPower Posts: 1,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    steliz wrote: »
    Does anyone know which settings I should check to find out if any video streaming programs are using my bandwidth.
    Surely you know if you've been watching streaming vids?
  • PM1
    PM1 Posts: 23 Forumite
    Options
    I periodically use mybroadbandspeed - co - uk to test my speed, run three tests in succession, and download the history as a csv, so I have built up a picture over time of my speeds. It comes in at the same speed as the streetstats site.

I would like to be able to test from home to my ISP, as well as from home through the ISP to a remote test, to investigate all the paths.
  • kwikbreaks
    kwikbreaks Posts: 9,187 Forumite
    Options
    > I would like to be able to test from home to my ISP

Some ISPs have in-house speed tests so check the website of yours. Tiscali used to have one which was notoriously inaccurate - anybody with more than the 100kbps routinely available to Tiscali customers at peak times would see massive speeds reported which exceeded their sync :)

As I recall MSE used to recommend Tiscali - this just goes to show that treating broadband as a commodity like electricity and recommending the cheapest offering is a very big mistake. The best advice I can offer for ensuring people get the best from their line itself and pick the best ISP for their needs is to do their research on a site dedicated to broadband matters (eg ThinkBroadBand) and not one dedicated to money saving with a few tech boards added.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,508 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I enter my postcode on streetstats - good news - the result is as accurate as any other site for speed .... but bad news ... it obviously thinks I'm connected to another nearby exchange as its offering me faster connections with LLU /ADSL2 + suppliers (there are none on my exchange which only supplies ~ 1350 premises so is very unlikely to ever have any!)
  • Giggerata
    Options
    hello, I am paying for a speed of 10 Mbps and on speedtest.net I get 4.9 Mbspwhile on thinkbroadband.com I get a speed of 1.7 Mbps. When I spoke with Virgin the other day, they recorded a speed of 6.5 on speedtest and said that is the one they use and they are not interested in what I have to say about thinkbroadband. I don't understand why I should get such a different result time after time. Any thoughts would be welcome.
  • lucylucky
    lucylucky Posts: 4,908 Forumite
    Options
    Giggerata wrote: »
    hello, I am paying for a speed of 10 Mbps You are paying for a speed up to 10 Mbps and on speedtest.net I get 4.9 Mbspwhile on thinkbroadband.com I get a speed of 1.7 Mbps. When I spoke with Virgin the other day, they recorded a speed of 6.5 on speedtest and said that is the one they use and they are not interested in what I have to say about thinkbroadband. I don't understand why I should get such a different result time after time. Any thoughts would be welcome.

It is always worth doing a number of tests with the same site over a period of time and at different times of the day. Then you may well have some ammunition to confront them with
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure