ASHP Do I or not

Options
fuggs
fuggs Posts: 3 Newbie
edited 23 January at 4:25PM in Heat pumps
Hi all

I live in an old (1689) listed property, with an ancient Trianco 36K oil boiler. It uses about 1k litres every 3 months, currently 50.1p/Ltr.

No wall insulation cause they are solid limestone, but all windows are double glazed, biggest air gap I can get, and loads of loft insulation.
Renewafuel have suggest a 14Kw Ecodan ASHP to run the heating and to upgrade the rads at the same time. I will be taking advantage of ofgen RHI if the planners let me fit the system.
With the RHI payments currently, my cash back would be over 7 years and the net cost to me would be a bout 2K with the RHI taken into account.

Does anyone have advice or similar experience of this system in older properties, and what the cost advantage would be over oil.
Thanks

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Welcome to the forum.

Have you investigated if your property qualifies for a grant?

https://www.gov.uk/green-deal-energy-saving-measures
  • fuggs
    Options
    I have checked with my local authority Rutland, but they don't have any grants available.
  • markin
    markin Posts: 3,848 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Don't you over size the rads because the temp is a lot lower, will it keep up with the heat loss?

Would the BTU match the current rads output?

Could you fit plasterboard that has 50mm insulation glued to it?
  • Rodders53
    Rodders53 Posts: 2,152 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    4000 litres per annum = very approximately 40,000 kWh burnt, but only 90% converts into the CH water... say 36,000 kWh for £2,000 spent. {Approx 5.6 p per kWh? BTW kersosene prices are <45p/l +vat for 1000l where I live, today (fueltool), so are slightly less atm.}

On average that's 100kWh per day (24 hours). In winter it'll be 2-3, maybe 4 times that average number?

Ecodan @ 14 kW output might, just, be able to supply that winter need if running 24/7. Remembering as it gets colder outside the conversion of an electrical input to heat out is less efficient. They can use full price electric on some wet installs - using immersion heaters - to 'keep up' with heat demand (but they can be user-disabled).

If you are lucky ASHP will have a COP of between 3 and 4... so you'll 'burn' 8-12,000 kWh of electric to produce the same heat as your oil needs. If we say 15p/unit that's 4 to 5p per kWh for ASHP?

Saving 1p per kWh of the 36,000 you require per annum = £360 per annum = £ 3,600 over 10 years.

Add on the fact that (at least) weekly you'll need to electrically heat your hot water storage from whatever the Ecodan can supply (45-50 C) up to 60+C to kill legionella with electricity. This can, fortunately, be automated easily; but it will use some full-price electricity that oil heating would have done cheaper.

Even double that 1p saving may not make it cost effective? But you have the RHI figures in front of you from the Installers?

Keep researching and work out the sums for yourself.

An ASHP may be 'permitted development' depending on your building and its location https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/27/heat_pumps/2
  • fuggs
    Options
    Hi Rodders thanks for that comprehensive reply, most informative. Unfortunately it is not a permitted development as I am in a conservation area and a G2 building. I have to forward a proposal the the local authorities and may/may not need planning permission.

I also have an oil fired AGA in the kitchen which is on all the time and provides our cooking requirements.
    On top of the electricity for ASHP would be the fuel for that. I am beginning to think the cost of the ASP is not a viable pay back time foe me.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure