Sold collection item, worried about seller rating due to delay in collection.

Options
I sold an item, collection only. I did say cash on collection is preferred in my advert and I wrote to the buyer to say that too after I'd accepted their offer before they paid.

However, they've paid by Paypal but have said they won't be able to collect it until the 23rd April. I'm worried as I'd read a thread that mentioned about delays in 'posting' the item affect my seller rating. I don't want to mark it as dispatched because I don't have tracking number and it isn't dispatched/collected but at the same time I don't want to lose the sale.

The buyer has no feedback currently but I'm not worried that they won't turn up. Just my seller rating and how to deal with this new situation.

How long do you get before 'posting' the item before it affects your seller rating?

TIA

Comments

• Pierre_De_Grenoble
    Options
    You have a 0 rated buyer insisting on paying you by paypal for an item that you asked for cash on collection.

others on here will point you to threads that you should read.
  • wishuponastar
    Options
    Thanks, I'm fairly new to it all but thanks for your message, I was wondering why they paid by Paypal when I'd asked in my listing and in my message (before they paid) and I figured that it was because they were new and didn't want to ask me to keep it until 23rd if they've not paid, but I'm guessing that there is some sort of loophole that I should be wary of.

I'll look forward to reading the threads, i'll try and have a look for them.

So should I refund the paypal transaction then or how should I do it?

TIA
  • wishuponastar
    Options
    Just reading a thread now, wow it is an eye opener.

I read that even though I do a full refund, then I can still get charged an admin fee by Paypal. Which I totally didn't know.

Is this a set amount or is it a percentage of the sale price (£25). Is there any way to avoid this?

Thinking that maybe I should just cancel the whole sale on Ebay...as I'm kind of panicking now, but maybe it's not as straightforward as that??
  • wishuponastar
    Options
    So I've been reading a lot of threads about Collection and paypal.

I've written to the buyer and asked if they can pay cash on collection or if they prefer to cancel the sale instead, then i'll agree.

Just waiting to hear back.

If the sale is cancelled, do Paypal still charge the admin fee for the refund? and how much is this usually?
  • steviebabes
    steviebabes Posts: 2,032 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Paypal only charge 20p if you refund so no big deal.
  • Pierre_De_Grenoble
    Options
    The admin fee for paypal is 20p.

It's easy for me to say, sitting here, to say that your sale is "low value" and is unlikely to be a paypal / collect scam.

It really may be possible that your buyer is a new "wet behind the ears" brainwashed into paying by paypal eBay newbie.
  • wishuponastar
    Options
    Thanks for letting me know about admin fee.

Buyer has responded and apologised (bless him) said he hadn't noticed/read about the cash on collection and is happy to pay cash on collection.

How do I go about this now? Do I send him the money back by paypal (but if i do this I've read there is a senders fee more than 20p) or refund via ebay? And how do I do this? Sorry I'm a bit 'wet behind the ears' on this too.
  • Pierre_De_Grenoble
    Pierre_De_Grenoble Posts: 478 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 12 April 2018 at 8:18PM
    Options
    It sounds like your buyer is genuine (likely but not guaranteed)

You can always tell your buyer that you are going to cancel his payment for (Via eBay) for "problems with his address". (if he accepts this it will not give you a seller defect)

and then he can turn up in due course and pay you cash, you can then mark the transaction as payment received and it will give you a box to mark as "cash on collection". and it's happy dayze.

I admit that my own eBay glass is more than half empty. eBay is not a sellers friend.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,207 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It sounds like your buyer is genuine (likely but not guaranteed)

You can always tell your buyer that you are going to cancel his payment for (Via eBay) for "problems with his address". (if he accepts this it will not give you a seller defect)

and then he can turn up in due course and pay you cash, you can then mark the transaction as payment received and it will give you a box to mark as "cash on collection". and it's happy dayze.

I admit that my own eBay glass is more than half empty. eBay is not a sellers friend.

That's a risky strategy under the new rules. eBay will see the cancelled transaction and decide, rightly in this case, that the sale was going to take place off eBay and give seller a strike, maybe even restrict the account, and definitely re charge the FVFs.

You can't cancel the sale and reclaim FVFs after any other discussion has taken place. Refunding the PayPal payment is in itself an issue now so seller is essentially stuck. The only way, that is still not risk free, is to just refund the payment via PayPal, which might result in a defect strike, then sell for cash on collection and if a defect is given to phone eBay and try and get it removed.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • wishuponastar
    Options
    soolin wrote: »
    Refunding the PayPal payment is in itself an issue now so seller is essentially stuck.

That's not great news for me...

Okay so refunding by paypal, if I do this what is the process? Do I need to select a reason in paypal or not?

And is it just the refund button on the transaction in the Paypal transaction? (which i've just seen) and NOT in Ebay (as if I do it in Ebay am I right in thinking that this will cancel the whole sale? not just the payment) If not how do I do it?

I don't understand the bit about if I refund by paypal it could result in a defect strike? What are the new rules in this case?

Thanks Soolin, you seem to know everything lol
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport