Sold collection item, worried about seller rating due to delay in collection.

Options
2»

Comments

• wishuponastar
    Options
    It sounds like your buyer is genuine (likely but not guaranteed)

I admit that my own eBay glass is more than half empty. eBay is not a sellers friend.

I would tend to think that my buyer is genuine, I'd say I'm pretty sure he is but still remain wary after the things I've read so better safe than sorry.

I agree it would appear Ebay is not as straightforward as I'd thought.
  • wishuponastar
    Options
    I'm a bit confused...do I

1. unmark the sale in ebay as payment received? If I do that will it automatically refund?

2. Go into paypal directly or via Ebay under view paypal transaction? And from there click 'refund'?
  • Pierre_De_Grenoble
    Options
    soolin wrote: »
    That's a risky strategy under the new rules. eBay will see the cancelled transaction and decide, rightly in this case, that the sale was going to take place off eBay and give seller a strike, maybe even restrict the account, and definitely re charge the FVFs.

You can't cancel the sale and reclaim FVFs after any other discussion has taken place. Refunding the PayPal payment is in itself an issue now so seller is essentially stuck. The only way, that is still not risk free, is to just refund the payment via PayPal, which might result in a defect strike, then sell for cash on collection and if a defect is given to phone eBay and try and get it removed.

mea culpa. the above makes perfect sense, now that I think it through. I have done as I advised in the past BUT that was before the "off eBay" thing kicked off.
    My eBay glass just got emptier..
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,261 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 13 April 2018 at 8:23AM
    Options
    mea culpa. the above makes perfect sense, now that I think it through. I have done as I advised in the past BUT that was before the "off eBay" thing kicked off.
    My eBay glass just got emptier..

It has got silly now hasn't it, we sellers have to continually watch our backs and protect our accounts even if that means customer service is reduced.

OP, go into PayPal and just refund the money, that should automatically mark it as unpaid in eBay. You don't need a reason to refund in PayPal. That leaves the transaction live so eBay fees are still due and buyer can then come and collect with cash.

However, some people have reported getting a defect after they have refunded via PayPal, although some have not so keep watch on your expanded dashboard and phone eBay if a defect shows. There is also a risk that eBay will still consider this as an off eBay sale, so again watch your messages and fees and be prepared to argue that the sale is still going ahead but within a different payment method.

When buyer collects then mark the payment as paid and dispatched.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Op, why don't you wait until he comes to pay the cash before you refund. It gives him an incentive to collect, unless of course he is asking for a refund now.
  • wishuponastar
    Options
    Op, why don't you wait until he comes to pay the cash before you refund. It gives him an incentive to collect, unless of course he is asking for a refund now.

He is not asking for a refund, he seems nice and a newbie-even more than me (bless him).

I don't want to wait as it will show as a late dispatch because he has asked if he can collect on the 23rd and because he has paid it looks according to Ebay that I have been slow to dispatch it which in turn affects my seller rating. So that is why I'm keen to refund now.

Thanks Soolin also for your advice, I'll do that in PP, wish me luck...I'll let you know how I get on.
  • wishuponastar
    wishuponastar Posts: 779 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 13 April 2018 at 4:10PM
    Options
    Okay so I've refunded via Paypal.

Showing in my ebay as a £ symbol with a black diamond shaped thing to the upper right of the £ sign. It is very small and hardly made out, at first I thought it was a dot.

Says -£25 adjustment under the part that says collection only.

Doesn't appear to have had any effect on my seller rating as it still is saying 'above standard'. I'll watch that space though.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Okay so I've refunded via Paypal.

Showing in my ebay as a £ symbol with a black diamond shaped thing to the upper right of the £ sign. It is very small and hardly made out, at first I thought it was a dot.

Says -£25 adjustment under the part that says collection only.

Doesn't appear to have had any effect on my seller rating as it still is saying 'above standard'. I'll watch that space though.

Seller ratings aren't adjusted every day. The key date is 20th (sometimes the 21st UK time). You may see it tomorrow if you know how to run reports, but either way, I wouldn't worry about it.

As for the late mark you may have got - it would be easily removable as it was listed as collection, hence why I suggested you might wait to refund.

It sounds like you have a decent buyer and furthermore, it sounds like he/she has a good seller!
  • wishuponastar
    Options
    Thanks 'theonlywayisup'. That is nice of you to say.

I'll keep an eye out on my ratings after the date just in case and I'll update everyone as to how it goes, i.e. if he comes to collect or not.

I'm going to look into what other sites to sell on as Ebay seem to be quite hard work for what should be a straightforward thing. I'm not very 'appy' as I don't have a compatible phone so just looking for sites I can use from the computer.
  • wishuponastar
    Options
    Just an update as promised.

All went well, person collected and paid on collection as arranged no problem.

I refunded asap via Paypal as I mentioned previously and no late strike or defect from Ebay showing which is all good.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure