Annoying TalkTalk Wifi Hub Remote Management

Options
dreamypuma
dreamypuma Posts: 1,338 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 8 December 2019 at 2:16PM in Broadband & internet access
So we switched to TalkTalk on 3rd December. Our router syncs well at 75mb down and 20mb up, so happy with that. The local WiFi performance is really disappointing though.

On further investigation I noticed that the TalkTalk Wifi Hub seems to default to the most congested channels in our area, so we manually switched to less congested. Problem solved.

Unfortunately TalkTalk seem to remote manage the channel allocation, and keep switching back to the congested channels. Furthermore, there seems to be no option to opt out of this remote management.

Am I correct in thinking that the only way to resolve this is to swap out the router to my own or opt for a Whole Home Mesh solution that I manage myself?
My farts hospitalize small children :o

Comments

• esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Couldn't you just disable wifi on the router and use your own wireless access point?
  • dreamypuma
    Options
    esuhl wrote: »
    Couldn't you just disable wifi on the router and use your own wireless access point?

Yes the router allows the WiFi to be disabled. I currently don't have a suitable WiFi router to replace this with. And already have a few minor issues with range in the house. One of the reasons I was looking investing in a Mesh System.

I was hoping with all the hype from TalkTalk on their new WiFi hub, their devices was a bit more flexible. In fairness it seems to be an AC2200 device, so ideal for moving traffic, but crippled by their poor channel management.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    It appears to be some remote monitoring software that's supposed to pick the least congested channel. It looks like Talktalk can disable it for you?

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Broadband/Wifi-Hub-not-keeping-the-selected-channel/td-p/2394411

Maybe try the forums rather than the phone.
  • dreamypuma
    Options
    It appears to be some remote monitoring software that's supposed to pick the least congested channel. It looks like Talktalk can disable it for you?

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Broadband/Wifi-Hub-not-keeping-the-selected-channel/td-p/2394411

Maybe try the forums rather than the phone.

Thanks, I'll give that a go.

I was reading a previous thread on TalkTalks Community forum, where the OCE suggested they couldn't switch off the remote management, and referred the poster to their complaints team. May they have changed this, so I'll try on the forum again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport