Opening an account at Starling Bank

Options
13»

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Yea I got tonnes from LBG including all the descriptions even though I didn't ask for them. They do seem the most compliant with the letter & spirit of the law - but they are the biggest (?) banking group so that may be why!

If Starling Decline me once my Adverse has dropped off, I might SAR then just to see what they actually hold and where they got it from!

Regarding the policy decline notes - Once you have any account that reports to CRAs (including basic accounts these days), the provider receives a monthly credit data 'feed' which they use to target offers etc and for fraud & loss prevention, preventing excessive debt etc.

It's this data which is used in internal scoring each month. The Valid Until date is just the next monthly recalculation date.

I have a Club Lloyds account which they let me keep (despite bankruptcy!), so I presume this is why my risk rating isn't 9 (I have a stupidly large O/D on it too).

I believe all cash accounts automatically get you a 9 rating and it won't actually improve, so the date will keep changing but score remaining the same.

If you actually want a higher rating, you might be better off either seeing if they'll give you a new 'main' account straight up (e.g. applying online) or switching that account away then coming back for a normal/prime account.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,097 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I was declined in Feb 19 for the 2nd time, will apply again in Feb 20.

Purely because I want to use the card for travelling, I don't hold anything against them for declining me, I do have 8 defaults after all.

They've all been paid off for over a year, I have zero debts whatsoever so if I'm declined in Feb, I won't be too happy because I'm now finally improving my scores across the board and haven't had credit problems in a long time.
  • ZootHornRollo
    Options
    I set up an account with sterling a couple of mo tha ago but have yet to use it.
    I am about to enter a trust deed. Any idea if they will close this account upon my trust deed starting?
    There is no overdraft facility. I was planning to use it as my main bank account once all goes through.
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits
  • System
    Options
    I think you should be okay, a friend of mine entered bankruptcy a few months back and Starling said it's no problem.
  • ZootHornRollo
    Options
    Thank you very much
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits
  • devon_guy
    devon_guy Posts: 293 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have a Starling account and am about to enter an IVA and they said they will close the account as it's against their terms and conditions to have one when you're insolvent. Odd how they don't apply these rules uniformly.
  • System
    Options
    I agree, it's not the same rules for everyone.

I.e I can't have an account because I have defaults almost 5 years old amounting to less than £2,000 (all paid now). However there's people with 5 defaults amounting to £15,000 who have been approved.

It's strange, but who knows how their process works, we'll never know!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure