There still may be trouble ahead .....

Options

Comments

• pinknsparkly
    pinknsparkly Posts: 542 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 28 October 2019 at 4:25PM
    Options
    Yeay on payday! My payday was Friday (we try to live off my husband's salary), and that's what we usually use for our savings but this month it's all going on paying off our credit card bill. I do love the end-of-month money shuffle and budgeting - my husband doesn't get it at all but at least is now used to me doing it and getting excited over reducing our mortgage term by another month, or increasing our savings by X amount :)

Many congratulations on making your moving fund target (and don't view it as "by the skin of your teeth" but rather as "an extra £28 that I wasn't expecting"!)
    MFW2023 challenge #99: £1090.11 / £1,000 MFiT-T6 (Jan 2022 - Jan 2025) challenge #99: Reduce mortgage to £400,000. Current balance = £413,551.19 Initial MF date (23rd Aug 2022): Sep 2051 Current MF date: Jul 2051 Last updated: 15/06/2023
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I haven't updated for a couple of weeks, but I've been trying to re-focus now that I met my first savings target.

I've gone back to no spend days and have joined the challenge on DFW; I think my bargain hunting was getting a bit out of hand, so the focus now is no spending and using what I've got.

I need to have a think about the next few weeks and set some targets to keep me on track until Christmas.
  • savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Well done on realising that you can cut back. I was on here for years before realising that I was still spending too much on frivolities, in fact I still do and then I see posts on here like yours which help me keep back on track.

Enjoy today and keep posting. It helps you and helps me too.:A
    Enjoy the peace of Remembrance Sunday.
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • pinknsparkly
    Options
    Good luck with the challenge, the run up to Christmas is probably the most challenging (but also most productive!) time of year to do it!!
    MFW2023 challenge #99: £1090.11 / £1,000 MFiT-T6 (Jan 2022 - Jan 2025) challenge #99: Reduce mortgage to £400,000. Current balance = £413,551.19 Initial MF date (23rd Aug 2022): Sep 2051 Current MF date: Jul 2051 Last updated: 15/06/2023
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 19 November 2019 at 7:02PM
    Options
    I've booked some extra annual leave for over Christmas and New Year. I'm not going anywhere, but I've been having some issues with my health recently that I can't seem to shake off, not helped by stuff going on with family and work which has needed some extra time from me, so I'm determined to have some extra rest and a good start to the new year.

I break up in 30 days from today, so I'm setting myself some mini targets for the next 30 days.

I want to complete my first assignment for my course. I'm struggling with this a bit and am a bit behind because of not feeling well and the other stuff that's taking my time, but I'm going to find that time for the next 30 days!

I want all the Christmas shopping and preparations done. I'm not doing that much, but I think I'm going to have to do some stuff for my mum as she's not well at the moment. I've already got some things in, so I need to start making some lists :)

I'm trying for 30 days alcohol-free :eek: Stress levels have seen an increase in wine o'clock, so I'm trying to get a grip before I'm not at work and can't think of any excuses not to have a drink :D

Ok, so those are my priorities for the next 30 days. Everything else will just be ticking over or have to wait.

bln
  • savingwannabe
    Options
    Well done in recognising that you need the rest. I hope you can do the first assignment. Giving up alcohol or cutting back is good for your health and may also help to make you feel more positive as it is a depressant. Just think how much money you will save. Two days till weekend. Hurrah.
  • This morning I applied for a flat to rent. It's a bit earlier than I was intending, but I didn't want to miss out. I'm waiting for a reply, but have spent the day panicking because everything's such a mess and there's so much to do before I could move.

I treated myself to a pizza for tea tonight and as I was eating, one of my (visible) teeth broke badly :eek:

I knew there was trouble ahead, what's that saying about it never rains but it pours. Oh and there's no chance of the alcohol-free run up to Christmas :cry:
  • Skint_yet_Again
    Options
    Fingers crossed for the new flat bln x

Sorry to hear about the other stuff. Don't beat yourself up about it, how about starting small with x number of alcohol free days a week ?
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗
    House sale OCT 2022 = NOW MORTGAGE FREE 🤗
    House purchase completed FEB 2023 🥳🍾 Left work. 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
  • savingwannabe
    Options
    Just take it easy BIN I'm blaming the darkness as it's making us feel a bit down. You have saved the money for a flat, you still have a job and are going to have a looong holiday soon - things will get better. I hope you are not in pain.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hi both, thanks for helping to calm me down :)

I'm sure if I can get through the next month or so, everything will be better.

bln x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport