emirates flight 1h5m connection at dubai realistic?

Options

Comments

• seatbeltnoob
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I decided to err on the side of caution. Sure it's emirates responsibility to get us on the next flight, but I do not want to get on a late flight due to a missed connection and end up stuck in dubai airport for 5 hours and then 5 more hours in KL airport to get to penang. Also 1h5m connection also makes it tight for baggage handlers. For some reason I just couldn't get a suitable flight with a slightly longer connection.

In the end I just settled with malaysia airlines, direct flight. It was not my preferred choice due to less legroom than emirates. But the lack of connection helps.

The direct flight was not the cheapest flight, but the price for the emirates flight on skyscanner and kayak kept going up and up each day I looked. In the end the malaysia airlines stayed the same and ended up cheaper.
  • The_Fat_Controller
    Options
    Watch out if booking Emirates on third party sites, they now have some low fares which only include 15 kg of checked baggage.

It's obvious on their own page, but a few people have been caught out.

https://www.emirates.com/english/before-you-fly/baggage/checked-baggage.aspx
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,950 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I decided to err on the side of caution. Sure it's emirates responsibility to get us on the next flight, but I do not want to get on a late flight due to a missed connection and end up stuck in dubai airport for 5 hours and then 5 more hours in KL airport to get to penang. Also 1h5m connection also makes it tight for baggage handlers. For some reason I just couldn't get a suitable flight with a slightly longer connection.

In the end I just settled with malaysia airlines, direct flight. It was not my preferred choice due to less legroom than emirates. But the lack of connection helps.

The direct flight was not the cheapest flight, but the price for the emirates flight on skyscanner and kayak kept going up and up each day I looked. In the end the malaysia airlines stayed the same and ended up cheaper.

I think you have made the right decision.
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,247 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Westin wrote: »
    I think you have made the right decision.

Me too..............
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,588 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If Emirates offer a ticket with a 65 minute connection time at DXB, it means that in normal circumstances it's enough time to disembark, pass security and arrive at the departure gate for the onward flight. Otherwise they would not sell the ticket.

I believe the minimum used to be 75 minutes, but it seems to be less now. A lot of of Emirates business is focused on through flights and they make it very efficient, informing gate numbers and expediting people through security if the arriving flight is late on a short connection, and the departure gates are held open much later than at many airports.

Only if it was absolutely vital for me not to be delayed would I have any qualms about a short connection at DXB on an Emirates ticket. But in that case I would fly direct anyway.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I'm doing a 1hr 15 connection through Dubai in a couple of weeks and I'm not worried.

We are going from the same terminal we land in so it should be straightforward.
  • seatbeltnoob
    seatbeltnoob Posts: 1,312 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 11 November 2019 at 2:39AM
    Options
    eDicky wrote: »
    If Emirates offer a ticket with a 65 minute connection time at DXB, it means that in normal circumstances it's enough time to disembark, pass security and arrive at the departure gate for the onward flight. Otherwise they would not sell the ticket.

I believe the minimum used to be 75 minutes, but it seems to be less now. A lot of of Emirates business is focused on through flights and they make it very efficient, informing gate numbers and expediting people through security if the arriving flight is late on a short connection, and the departure gates are held open much later than at many airports.

Only if it was absolutely vital for me not to be delayed would I have any qualms about a short connection at DXB on an Emirates ticket. But in that case I would fly direct anyway.

Well, lets put it this way. With 13month old child with all the small bits and bobs you need to carry for a 13 month old. I wouldn't fancy my chances.

When I was looking at the flights, I was given 8 options all with 1h5m connections. If you were to miss that connection there is a 6 hr wait for the next KL flight. (I found out this by doing a manual 1 way DXB to KUL search for the dates).

As a single guy, maybe I could have made the connection. But not with a newborn baby, disembarking from an A380 with 555 other passengers trying to barge through and get on their connection. (because 90% of people arriving at DXB are on connections)

If I have to pay for any seat upgrades I have to pay for each flight not each leg so an indirect flight becomes costly with addons.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,588 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Ok, now that you mention your infant and accessories, connecting in that time would be more of an effort, although still possible and priority would no doubt be given at security. Of course, when the price becomes no cheaper than a direct flight the choice is obvious.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • PompeyPete
    PompeyPete Posts: 7,126 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 12 November 2019 at 11:46AM
    Options
    Dubai is an extremely busy hub. I reckon most flights into Dubai arrive in Dubai airspace on time. But then due to congestion often have to spend ages in the air 'stacked' waiting for a landing slot. That can turn an enjoyable stress-free on-time flight into a bit of a stressful 'mare, especially so if you're unfamiliar with the sheer size of Dubai Airport or its bright lights

Then with the connecting outward flight to wherever, it's often the case that the flight may leave its Gate on time, only to have to spend ages taxiing before eventual take-off. What's the point in that? Well, it frees up the Gate for the next flight, and it helps stop the Terminal Building becoming a sea of humanity. For the passengers, they get bored, and end up arriving at their eventual destination a couple of hours or so adrift.

Personally, if possible I'd choose Qatar Airlines using Doha, or Oman Airlines using Muscat. I'd put Etihad as my final choice as the Ground Staff at Abu Dhabi are often clueless. Or choose a long Direct flight.
  • The_Fat_Controller
    Options
    Airborne holding and average taxiing times are all built into the schedules.

When Amsterdam opened their last new runway, the scheduled flight times to/from Glasgow were increased by 20 minutes in the anticipation of the vastly increased taxiing times.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure