When MSErs get married ...

Options

Comments

• ani*fan
    ani*fan Posts: 1,554 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The last time I was at a registry office wedding, not so long ago, flowers were provided. You can't take them with you but who cares? They were lovely and only needed to decorate the venue for the 20 minutes or less it takes for you to get married. When I got married in October the venue provided a giant bouquet for the ceremony table and another long one for the top table at the meal. Venue was free, the only flowers we bought were buttonholes and corsages. And it was all fine.

I love that you're not telling any of your vendors it's a wedding. Absolutely the right move. ;)
    If you know you have enough, you're rich. ;)
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    pigpen wrote: »
    Tell you what I have just discovered.. if your parents are separated and your mother remarried you can have your stepdads name on your marriage certficate instead of your biological dads... I thought that was an interesting fact..

Really? I've put my bio dad's name and occupation before - it would be really meaningful and make him really happy if I could put my stepdad's name instead, as he's been my dad since I was 5 years old. I'll make a point of asking this at the register office.
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • Tigsteroonie
    Options
    Just to clarify on the flowers - I'm only talking about 5 buttonholes and a bouquet, nothing more than that :D

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

• pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 41,000 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 14 January 2018 at 4:55PM
    Options
    Really? I've put my bio dad's name and occupation before - it would be really meaningful and make him really happy if I could put my stepdad's name instead, as he's been my dad since I was 5 years old. I'll make a point of asking this at the register office.

I cried when I found that out.. my stepdad would be really touched too.. it will be a national thing.because all the systems are linked.. if you marry out of your home town you still give notice there and the info is input at home and accessed in the other place. I had my bio dads name when I got married too I didn't know it was possible to have your stepdad. I can't stand my dad and havent spoken to him for years and when I mentioned that she said 'you don't have to have him you can have your stepdad if your mum is married to him'.. you can change your mind up until them writing your marriage certificate too, you can say your bio dads name when giving notice and then put your stepdad when it comes to the ceremony.. you aren't set in stone until it is on your marriage certificate.

I'd have a corsage instead of a bouquet .. to keep my hands free.. can't be faffed carrying tat about lol.

I get into conversations with a lot of random people!! Supermarket chats FTW.
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • Tigsteroonie
    Options
    Found it! :)
    However, since the coming into force of the Registration of Marriages (Amendment) Regulations 2007, it has been permissible to record a step-father’s name, instead of the natural father’s name, provided that the step-father is, or has been, married to the mother. Where a step-father’s name is entered, the word “step-father” should be entered after the surname.

• Tigsteroonie
    Options
    A dress has been ordered.
    (Well in fact, two, as I'm not sure of colour!)

• pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 41,000 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    That's the bit.. it made me cry.. all those dads who are not blood relatives but have been there for all the rubbish bits get to be acknowledged.
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • Tigsteroonie
    Options
    A dress has been ordered.
    (Well in fact, two, as I'm not sure of colour!)
    Dress attempt #1 unsuccessful. Carefully read reviews re sizing. carefully measured self, ordered appropriately. Waaaaaayyyyy too big.

Dress attempt #2 now being made - in two different smaller sizes, one will fit!

• Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    Dress attempt #1 unsuccessful. Carefully read reviews re sizing. carefully measured self, ordered appropriately. Waaaaaayyyyy too big.

You're in the lucky position of having to eat lots more cakes to get into your wedding dress :rotfl:
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,834 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Ring potentially selected, just want to see it for real (not just a tinternet photo).

If you are being really frugal, there's no requirement for a ring(s) for the ceremony (not having them also cuts down the length of the ceremony)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure