IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

UCS demand - help needed please!

Options
Help from experts please!
I received a PCN from Parking Control Solutions after I parked outside a shop for 3 minutes, the shop was at the start of a private road but I parked where I believed to be customer parking for 3 minutes. I wrote back on a MSE template but heard nothing back, I then received a demand from UCS debt recovery. I wrote to the BPA but my reply stated that there is no evidence that there has been a breach in their code and that since my letter to PCS wasn't sent by recorded delivery it cannot be assumed that the letter was sent. I've now received another letter from UCS - a recommendation of legal action asking for £160 and warning of CCJ's and additional costs on legal action. I don't know what to do from here! I will be grateful for any advice

Comments

• Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    nothing else you can do seeing as its debt collectors chasing you, IGNORE them like post #4 of the NEWBIES FAQ sticky thread tells you to do

only PCS can issue an MCOL so come back if they issue an LBC or MCOL within 6 years

pity you did not get a free certificate of posting from the P O Counter

there was never any need for "signed for", just a free cert of posting is sufficient

and edit your post above

the DRIVER may have been parked up on the day , no "ME , MYSELF & I"
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,201 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    'Ignore the debt collector' stage is fully explained in the NEWBIES thread post #4.

NO-ONE rings them. NO-ONE is stupid enough to pay.

:)
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • XlandRC
    Options
    Without sounding ignorant what is a LBC or an MCOL? In all correspondence I referred to the driver rather than myself, I should have got proof of posting - my mistake. Can anyone comment how likely it is that this will be taken to court and if it does what's the likely outcome? Would I be able to offer to pay just the original parking fine and would I be responsible for court costs? It's causing me loads of stress! Thanks in advance for any advice!
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,341 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    XlandRC wrote: »
    Without sounding ignorant what is a LBC or an MCOL?
    Back to the NEWBIE sticky post where all the acronyms are explained.
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    Options
    This is an entirely unregulated industry which is scamming the public with inflated claims for minor breaches of contracts for alleged parking offences, aided and abetted by a handful of low-rent solicitors.

Parking Eye, CPM, Smart, and another company have already been named and shamed, as has Gladstones Solicitors, and BW Legal, (these two law firms take hundreds of these cases to court each year). They lose most of them, and have been reported to the regulatory authority by an M.P.
    for unprofessional conduct

Hospital car parks and residential complex tickets have been especially mentioned.

The problem has become so rampant that MPs have agreed to enact a Bill to regulate these scammers. Watch the video of the Second Reading in the House of Commons recently

http://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/2f0384f2-eba5-4fff-ab07-cf24b6a22918?in=12:49:41 recently.

and complain in the most robust terms to your MP. With a fair wind they will be out of business by Christmas.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,201 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Can anyone comment how likely it is that this will be taken to court
    Highly unlikely from that little firm, but you will know the exact likelihood if you simply read the NEWBIES thread. In the second post I tell newbies how to view the BMPA/PADI webpages to see how often any named PPC goes to court.

It's already there waiting for you to calm down and read it.

They probably used self ticketing at that site, some local 'Norris Cole' idiot:

http://parkingcontrolsolutions.co.uk/self-ticketing
    and if it does what's the likely outcome?
    We see 99% of people report a win. Worst case, you lose and pay about £175.
    Would I be able to offer to pay just the original parking fine
    Nope, and it's not a parking fine.
    and would I be responsible for court costs?
    Only to the tune of about fifty quid on top, if you were one of the 1% who lose.

No CCJ, no effect on credit rating and you'd have 30 days to pay if you were one of the few who lose, once they have found this forum. Really no big deal.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • XlandRC
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice - I've read the newbies thread and it's great to know that even if this does go to court I can still fight it! I've now received a letter from CSB Solicitors to prepare for possible legal proceedings, it actually says that a judgement could be registered - is this possible as from the above advice I assumed not! It says it could remain for 6 years.. Thanks again guys!
  • XlandRC
    Options
    And also the letter suggests to put 'proposals in respect of this debt in writing' - should I respond?
  • beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 18 October 2018 at 9:14AM
    Options
    XlandRC wrote: »
    Thanks for all the advice - I've read the newbies thread and it's great to know that even if this does go to court I can still fight it! I've now received a letter from CSB Solicitors to prepare for possible legal proceedings, it actually says that a judgement could be registered - is this possible as from the above advice I assumed not! It says it could remain for 6 years.. Thanks again guys!

CSB are also debt collectors

Just like all these bods involved in the parking scam, they
    are trying to scare you.

to prepare for possible legal proceedings

It is CBS who must prepare as they are required to
    send you an LBA first which you can respond to, giving
    you 30 days to reply ... that is if they act as a solicitor
    but they run a high risk of being whooped in court

Clearly CBS with their threats don't actually know how
    it works.

Let us tell them
    HOW YOU CAN GET A CCJ (County Court Judgement)

1: They must firstly take you to court
    2: You have the opportunity to defend
    3: A judge will rule who is the winner
    4: If you lose (doubtful), the judge will make
    an order for you to pay (normally with 28 days)
    5: If you ignore the court and do not pay, then
    you will get a CCJ
    6: However if you do pay as the court orders,
    that is it ...... NO CCJ .. NO ENTRIES ON YOUR
    CREDIT FILE

DANGER POINT .... If you ignore official claims from
    Northampton

And also the letter suggests to put 'proposals in respect of this debt in writing' - should I respond?

Why would you talk to powerless debt collectors ????
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,419 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport