Accidentally used NatWest overdraft and charged fee

Options
I have recently changed energy provider and so the direct debit now goes out on a different day but I forgot to update the standing order so I ended up going -£78 as the account is literally only used to pay bills.

I was under the impression that I would be sent a text message if I slipped into my overdraft, but have been told over the phone, that it only applies if I go into my unarranged overdraft.

Is this correct?

Seems a little unfair to be charged £6 for being in my overdraft for one day, it was an honest mistake but they said they had no way to refund the charge.
4.29kWp Solar system, 45/55 South/West split in cloudy rainy Cumbria. 

Comments

• 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    Options
    You would probably be best moving to a bank where they don't charge such penal overdraft fees

in any case I believe that fees like this are going to be banned and you will only pay a certain percentage depending on how overdrawn you go
  • wiseonesomeofthetime
    Options
    Spies wrote: »
    Seems a little unfair to be charged £6 for being in my overdraft for one day, it was an honest mistake ...

This is how they make their money. Hoping customers slip up.
    ... but they said they had no way to refund the charge.

They have. It's called a Goodwill gesture and most banks usually offer this if never been offered or paid before.

Albeit a few years ago now, I have been fortunate enough to be 3 from 3 from fee challenges; NatWest, Santander, and MBNA, albeit all on credit cards.

Try another challenge. No application fee for that as far as i'm concerned. Just be polite and try and reason with them.

Good luck.

£6 is £6!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    The charge is fair.
    You went into your overdraft and was therefore charged.

You need to be keeping on top of your outgoings to prevent this happening.

It’s no fault of NatWest
  • Mrsn
    Mrsn Posts: 1,430 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I’ve always found NatWest to be quiet fair when it comes to fees, mind you it’s normally the unarranged sort I’ve spoken to them about.

They certainly do have discretion to refund charges though
  • glider3560
    glider3560 Posts: 4,115 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You may like to try one of the app based banks, then you get notifications when payments are made, so situations like this don't happen again
  • Jami74
    Jami74 Posts: 1,018 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options

I was under the impression that I would be sent a text message

You can set up text alerts for:

When you need to pay funds urgently into your account to help minimise fees (your Act Now Alert)

and

When your morning balance drops below [choose amount]

These alerts are extremely helpful for when a direct debit/standing order is taken out on a different date to usual or if the amount has changed.
    Debt Free: 01/01/2020
  • Kentish_Dave
    Kentish_Dave Posts: 842 Forumite
    Options
    This is how they make their money. Hoping customers slip up.
    Or, to put it another way, charging customers a fee for avoiding them having a bill going unpaid by providing an overdraft.

This is exactly what it’s there for, a facility for people who aren’t able to stay in credit for whatever reason.
  • Flobberchops
    Flobberchops Posts: 1,279 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    To be glib: Accidentally clear the overdraft by accidentally paying money in and then you won't accidentally incur fees again.

The way your text alerts work will depend on how they were set up, either by yourself or by the bank at your request. If the bank feel they weren't at fault and would rather keep the £6, there's not much recourse.
    : )
  • Sharon87
    Sharon87 Posts: 4,011 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I would phone them up and ask if they can refund it, all they can do is say no.

I also have a Natwest account, the £6 fee for using it is really unfair for people who may dip into it for a day or two. It's £6 PLUS interest! I used to get a free £100 overdraft with them but they've stopped that now.

Just because that's their fees it doesn't make it fair. Hence the introduction of the new law of only charging interest, not daily/monthly fees. (back to the days of interest, which is a more fair way for charging for credit)
  • Ballard
    Ballard Posts: 2,850 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Whilst I have sympathy for anyone getting charged by banks, ‘accidentally’ in the thread title is superfluous. You went overdrawn and were charged. I suspect that the £6 fee was better than the consequences of missing a direct debit payment had the bank returned it unpaid.

Go back to your bank and ask them to consider refunding it but if they hold their ground you’ve not really got any reason to complain. Feel free to close the account if you feel that strongly.
    I hate verisimilitude.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport