Forgot to pay TV licence if I back date it 1 month online will I get in trouble?

Options
Forgot to buy TV license wondering if I back date it online when buying will that be okay? Or is that going to me in bother?

Comments

• Hasbeen
    Hasbeen Posts: 4,404 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Cvxvfvfgcf wrote: »
    Forgot to buy TV license wondering if I back date it online when buying will that be okay? Or is that going to me in bother?

With good behaviour you will be out of prison within 6 months.:rotfl:

No. Just go ahead and renew it on the official GOV site not the spam ones. If it renews back a month fine if not renew from today. Try Direct Debit?

https://www.gov.uk/tv-licence
    The world is not ruined by the wickedness of the wicked, but by the weakness of the good. Napoleon
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,157 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    If the same details are entered, it will probably back-date automatically.

Not paying is not the offence, anyway.
  • couriervanman
    couriervanman Posts: 1,667 Forumite
    Options
    As above it backdates automatically
  • Cvxvfvfgcf
    Options
    It's a new licence it just slipped my mind
  • Hasbeen
    Hasbeen Posts: 4,404 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Cvxvfvfgcf wrote: »
    It's a new licence it just slipped my mind

Just use link and buy if its a new one. no worries. be happy. LOL
    The world is not ruined by the wickedness of the wicked, but by the weakness of the good. Napoleon
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,157 Forumite
    Options
    It's about this stage in proceedings that I have to say that MSE doesn't encourage people not to pay their TV Licences if they need one.

However, it's also an interesting example of how, if TV Licensing were a bit less menacing, then someone in the OP's situation could simply contact them and get a backdated Licence without fearing that it might trigger some kind of enforcement action against them.
  • HWW
    HWW Posts: 103 Forumite
    Options
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    It's about this stage in proceedings that I have to say that MSE doesn't encourage people not to pay their TV Licences if they need one.

However, it's also an interesting example of how, if TV Licensing were a bit less menacing, then someone in the OP's situation could simply contact them and get a backdated Licence without fearing that it might trigger some kind of enforcement action against them.
    Unfortunately, the BBC & their greedy Capita enforcers - have a George Orwell 1984 mind-set. "If in doubt, include a threat or two, when after the public's hard earned money"
    Councils tend to do the same. Then wonder why it puts decent folks backs up...
    But just so long as the Peons pay.........
  • MusicMusic1968
    MusicMusic1968 Posts: 5 Forumite
    edited 14 April 2019 at 5:20PM
    Options
    If you register your mobile phone number with tv licencing it sends you a text reminder if your payment is late. It happened to me the other month when I wasnt well I simply forgot my monthly payment and I received a text reminder a couple days after the date. I chose to pay monthly. Just contact them and explain it should be fine. Its not like you refuse you just forgot.
  • Leggitte
    Leggitte Posts: 90 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Please be aware that you only need TV Licensing if you watch or record live TV programmes on any channel, or download or watch BBC programmes on iPlayer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure