Toilet training problems

Options
2»

Comments

• MrsSippi
    Options
    Just seen further reply on this so thought I'd update and it's not good news :(

We are still no further forward. I've been back to the doctor and they believe that the problem of recurring accidents is due to constipation which would make sense. So on their advice I've been using a mix of neat orange juice (dd didn't like this and refused to drink it), various fruits - pears, oranges etc (have been doing this for 3 months and there's no noticeable improvement), fig syrup (she doesn't like this either so having to disguise it in milk and so far it has been the most effective but has not solved the problem.

Every time she has a poo it's an accident and I am at my wits end. I know it's not her fault and I'm sure now that she doesn't mean to do it. The gp said that if we can sort the constipation then the toileting part will fall into place which makes sense but we can't seem to sort any of it right now!

The gp also said it could be because she was premature and her bowels are taking longer to develop properly but I'm not sure what I can do about that now.

I don't know what else to do :(
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,067 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You said you'd used an otc product which worked, have you asked the GP if there's a reason why you can't just keep using that for a bit longer? Or was that the fig syrup?

There are prescription products available for constipation, I'd be asking the GP if you could try one of these, it's not as if this is just a recent problem. Or, if he's really concerned that the prematurity is affecting this, I think I'd push to see someone who could assess this.

And have you consulted ERIC? I've linked to their section on bowel problems.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • MrsSippi
    MrsSippi Posts: 287 Forumite
    Options
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    You said you'd used an otc product which worked, have you asked the GP if there's a reason why you can't just keep using that for a bit longer? Or was that the fig syrup?

There are prescription products available for constipation, I'd be asking the GP if you could try one of these, it's not as if this is just a recent problem. Or, if he's really concerned that the prematurity is affecting this, I think I'd push to see someone who could assess this.

And have you consulted ERIC? I've linked to their section on bowel problems.

Thank you for the reply. Yes it was the Fig syrup I was referring to. She liked it originally but is now complaining about the taste. She didn't seem to notice it in the milk but I only used a tiny amount so I will see if I can add a bit more next time. I've also just got some live yoghurt to try over the weekend to see if it has any effect.

Thank you for the comment re prescription products, I think I will try going back to the gp again and see if he can help with this. I'll also look up the ERIC links - I did look on there ages ago but a lot of the stuff I found seemed to cover what to do if your child is afraid of using the toilet which isn't the case here.
  • Frugalgirl
    Options
    I have a similar issue with my daughter. She is 3 and a half, been dry for a few months. She still only poos in her pull ups. I was told that some children are scared to poo because they are losing a part of themselves, which kinda makes sense. I give her lots of fruit and veg and encourage her to drink water; all the time explaining that it will help with her tummy ache. She still poos in her nappy and not on the pot!
  • Mary_Bing
    Mary_Bing Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    I agree absolutely. Awareness is essential in solving this problem
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business