There still may be trouble ahead .....

Options

Comments

• Skint_yet_Again
    Options
    Lack of sleep is awful. As a parent I remember sleepless nights when my son was growing up (now 24yo) and more recent years when we got a puppy it was a killer. Definitely the older you get the less you can cope with little or no sleep

Hope you manage to save enough to move soon and have nicer quieter neighbours at your new place.
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗
    House sale OCT 2022 = NOW MORTGAGE FREE 🤗
    House purchase completed FEB 2023 🥳🍾 Left work. 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hi Skint yet Again, and thank you.
  • Woken up to the rain this morning, which was actually quite pleasant because I don't need to go out in it :)

I've been so busy with work recently that I haven't had time to think about anything else. The de-cluttering is going very slowly, but I'm trying to clear at least one thing every day, even if it's only a piece of paper. I'll get there eventually.

I have at last finished the fridge freezer and re-stocked with some batch cooking, so that I've got something to grab for work or for after work when I'm short of time.

I haven't spent much money, so that's good. I haven't made very much, so that needs some attention.

My goal for the next 5 weeks is to complete the moving fund before I get paid for October. I need to have another very frugal month with September's wage and to earn about £300 extra. I think it's doable if I focus and get on with it.
  • savingwannabe
    Options
    Well done on decluttering even though you have been busy at work. It's fab that you have batch cooked. Good luck with moving fund and the rest of the month. If you can make £300 that will be great.
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • pinknsparkly
    Options
    Decluttering one item per day is an awesome idea - I may have to steal that one! I want to declutter my house but the task always feels so completely overwhelming that I never get round to actually starting!

Batch cooking is such a fab idea - what foods do you batch cook? My "batch cooking" is currently limited to making a large amount of bolognaise sauce and serving that for dinners or lunches throughout the week but it does get rather boring pretty quickly :D
    MFW2023 challenge #99: £1090.11 / £1,000 MFiT-T6 (Jan 2022 - Jan 2025) challenge #99: Reduce mortgage to £400,000. Current balance = £413,551.19 Initial MF date (23rd Aug 2022): Sep 2051 Current MF date: Jul 2051 Last updated: 15/06/2023
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hi pinknsparkly, what a lovely name :) My batch cooking is nothing exciting, just pasta and sauce, or rice and veg - just something I can grab on the way out to work or microwave when I get in from work.

On the financial front, it looks as if I have enough money coming in through the month to reach my moving savings goal before next payday. This is as long as I don't spend anything except the £30 in my purse, which is doable, except there are some things that I want to buy.

I have been on a bit of a spending spree the last couple of months. I can't shake off the feeling there may be trouble ahead - maybe at work, I can't help but think about a big company like Thomas Cook going under and workers just out of a job with no notice. Throw in Br exit and winter, and I feel like I need to be a bit more prepared.

With that in mind, I want to have a supermarket delivery for a bit of a stock-up for winter for things that I can't carry very well.

I've also started to study a course related to work which I'm hoping will give me some other options in the future. I need a light laptop or a tablet that I can carry with me, I'm not sure which would be best for that.

So, financial focus for the rest of this month is to make a bit more money to pay for these two things, and make sure I have my moving fund in place.
  • savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hurrah for your moving fund. You have raised that so quickly well done. I think once you have experienced a threat to your job it makes you hypersensitive to it happening again. It has happened to me also. In a way it is good as it keeps you on your toes so you can see opportunities before others do.

With regard to a laptop or tablet remember you maybe able to get a perfectly decent one second hand via fleabay etc.I must do some of this batch doodah cooking. Im learning loads from all of you lovely members of the forum.

Hope you are having a good day and resting.
  • ginnyknit
    ginnyknit Posts: 3,718 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You are doing so well and every time the neighbours annoy you it will keep you focused. Batch cooking is so good, just imagine how much you save not buying lunch at work. Ive been stocking up the cupboards too and a quick trip to Iceland filled my newly cleaned freezer and saved me numerous trips to the supermarket. I think its wise to be careful the way things are at the moment.
    Clearing the junk to travel light
    Saving every single penny.
    I will get my caravan
  • savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Does anyone else get the song '..There may be trouble ahead..' in their heads when they look at this thread???? lol.

We must plan ahead always I am learning so you are doing the right things which is a reminder for me too.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    It's payday tomorrow :j

There were times (in a pre-mse life) when I didn't really notice payday, because I was using so much credit anyway. These days I love payday, I can see what's left and set my budgets for the next month. It's like a fresh start every month :)

I've scraped my moving fund by the skin of my teeth (£28 left over); I'm still planning on moving next year, but at least I know I've got the money to just go if things get really bad here. It's also my emergency fund in the meantime.

Now starts the long haul to my freedom from work fund, a year's living money so I could leave if things got really bad there and would have time to sort things out.

I have been a bit spendy recently, so I really need to get that back under control, and also get back to bringing in some extra money somehow.

Off to do some budgetting :)

bln
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family