PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Section 20 notice after purchase of flat

Options

Comments

• HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 4,480 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Your point that it was undisclosed at exchange yet in the same thread you acknowledge many didnt receive the stage 1

Who do you wish to claim from? Your seller who didnt know (we assume) or the freeholder for serving notice by email and not to the property and therefore not everybody received it?

Or your solicitor for not knowing before exchange about this development.

Or do you just accept that you also didn't check at the key stages of purchase yourself if you had asked the question between receiving the pack and exchange then you would have been told/provided with a copy
  • margaret.balin
    Options
    I should have clarified.

The managing agent claims they follow the law to the letter and emailed a pdf to all tennants of stage 1. So they claim the seller would have definitely been emailed one as well, as well as everyone. At least the email addresses that they hold for every flat owner.

Then they send letters for stage 2.

So a lot of the elderly folk or the less tech savvy, who don't necessarily have emails, might not have read it but it doesn't mean it wasn't sent to them!!

I'm sure the seller knew and simply pretended not to have received anything.
    I feel absolutely cheated on!
  • sal_III
    sal_III Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    But you are not going to be £8k out of pocket!!

You are going to pay £8k and get £8k worth of (potentially life saving) improvements to your property that weren't in place when you exchanged.
  • margaret.balin
    Options
    I understand what you are saying. The improvement works will be in my benefit, I understand that.

I was trying to also get an agreement that the seller employed deceit and there were perhaps some legal avenues I could pursue. I wouldn't know how to sue someone who might not even be in the country any more. It seems that I'm stuffed with the bill and there's no legal avenue to explore
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,459 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    I was very happy because I managed to knock off 10k off the price the day before exchanging so I really thought I was getting a good deal.

Can we sue?
    Our lawyers are not willing to help. I feel cheated on.
    Also the seller has gone abroad after the sale and apparently has no address so not sure how to do anything at this point. Is this all I can do? :(
    I'm sure the seller knew and simply pretended not to have received anything.
    I feel absolutely cheated on!

The seller may have known, but try proving that in court.

It sounds like you and the seller have similar values.

Your solicitor won't take the case on. They know more about the circumstances than anyone on here. You could use a different solicitor but I think you would be wasting your money.

The point is you bought what you thought you were buying, at a price less that you initially agreed to.

The Freeholder is now spending a large amount of money to improve your property, enhancing what you have bought. That should add to the value of your property when you come to sell. It also makes your home a much safer place. But you think someone else should pay for that?
  • david1951
    david1951 Posts: 431 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    It seems that I'm stuffed with the bill

You would have been stuffed with the bill whatever happened.

Even if the seller knew, and disclosed to you, why would they pay for improvements they weren't going to see the benefit of? Would you have pulled out?

In other words, I don't really see what 'loss' you suffered that you feel entitles you to claim money from someone.
  • bobbymotors
    bobbymotors Posts: 746 Forumite
    Options
    op....serve you right for gazundering!
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,727 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Is it wrong that we haggled him down? We saved 10k!

It is not wrong to haggle the price.
    It is a bit scummy to do it the day before exchange at a point where everyone is financially invested and likely tied in.

How would you have felt if it were an increasing market and they banged the price up by £10k after you had spent thousands on fees? That is the point people are making.

Congratulations on saving the £10k. Commiserations on being lumbered with £8k.

If you can prove the vendor knew about the works and the costs then you can potentially sue. Although you need to know where they are and if they are coming back to the UK. If you can not find those 2 things out, then you will probably need to knock it on the head.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • diggingdude
    diggingdude Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    To be fair it sounds like you both played each other, still you are £2k up on the deal so that's some good Money Saving
    An answer isn't spam just because you don't like it......
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,204 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    ACG is right.
    If you can *prove* that the sellers knew and failed to disclose, then you might have a claim against them. You would be able to claim your actual losses, which would most likely be less than the full £8K, as it is unlikely that you could have got another £8K off the price even if you had known about it.

You would need an address for the sellers and if they are abroad would have the added complication that it would be more difficult to enforce any order against someone whose assets are not in the UK.

Your conveyancing solicitors probably can't help because at this point, it is not a conveyancing issue, it would be a litigation matter. They are not at fault as the issue wasn't disclosed, so they would have had no way of knowing about it and therefore no ability to advise you about it.

If you want to follow it up, then you need to look for a solicitor who deals with property litigation. However, from what you've said, it sounds as though there is a real likelihood that the sellers didn't know, in which case you have no case as they didn't conceal anything.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure